Shooting glasses, Yes or No

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jackman, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Shooting glasses Yes or No ..... Do you wear shooting glasses and why or why not?

I wear them but only because its a gun club rule, I ve been shooting for a long time (about 36 years) never been hurt and glasses were never required at private proerty shoots, Boy Scout range and never had them while in the Army shooting all sorts of stuffs :D, now I gave to wear glasses as a club rule.
  2. Jay

Jay Active Member

My prescription glasses are OSHA certified as safety glasses. Even if that were not the case, I'd wear safety glasses. Anyone I teach wear's 'em.

It doesn't matter how long you've been shooting, and debris may come from the shooter next to you. How many eyes ya got? As far as I'm concerned, requiring safety glasses is a good rule.
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

jackman Safety glasses ARE A GOOD THING.It only takes one bad thing to happen (blow by or ANYTHING) from your gun or the someone else next to you.(you can't shoot without eyes)We all started out not wearing glasses but times have changed we have gotten smarter SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!...........GOOFY:)I agree with carver do not forget hearing protection!!!!my wife is tired of me saying "what did you say"
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Like you, I have been shooting since I was a kid. Never wore safty glasses, or hearing protection, still don't sometimes. Now days I have to have glasses to see things up close, they are ploycarbonate, or safety lenses. So now days my eyes are protected. If I could just remember the hearing protection! Safety First should be our motto! So even if I didn't need the glasses, I think we should be responsible, and wear eye/hearing protection.
  5. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Hard to learn a new way , but you guys are right better to have them on but I still don't feel comfy with them on ....
  6. Jay

Jay Active Member

You would feel even less comfortable blind. Try it for about an hour in your own home.
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

"When you least expect it....you're elected...it's your UNlucky day...." Feel lucky today? Hunh, do ya?
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

9. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I wear them out of habit. I shoot flintlock guns a lot, and it's not all that uncommon for a piece of flint or a spark from the pan to fly up in the direction of your face. I'd rather not get them in my eyes. I have had melted spots on plastic lenses on a couple of occasions. Even percussion guns can have a cap burst once in a while. Things go wrong when you least expect them to. On the range, eye protection and hearing protection should be the rule.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    On the range, in my back yard and in the field while hunting. A good idea is a good idea. Plus the polarized colored lens cuts the glare and makes things sharper. A yellow lens in the woods makes little squirrels and big turkeys stand out so much better than just using my naked eyeball.

Side bonus is how many times have you been slapped in the face by that unseen branch and how many times did it catch you in the eye. Going into the woods without my glasses just seems like a very bad idea, kind of like walking in sand bur and wood tick country in bare feet.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

All you need is one blown case head or primer in the wrong gun and a blast of hot gas will come back in your face. Or something else. I know a guy who was firing his C96 Mauser pistol when the bolt broke and the rear part came back in his face. His shooting glasses were cracked and the frame bent, but had he not been wearing them he would have lost an eye.

I have had a Jungmann fire out of battery and felt the gas hitting around my eyes. My glasses protected my eyes. I have had a gas blast from a blown primer in a K-31 Swiss rifle (which does not handle gas at all well) hit me in the face; again I was wearing glasses.

I vote for shooting glasses (or goggles worn over glasses). I checked with Sears and Brownells and they no longer stock spare eyeballs.

Jim
  12. WABob

WABob Former Guest

I feel that they are like motorcycle helmets, a darn good idea, but to each his own. Ask anyone who has shot a suppressed AR-15 or a flintlock rifle left handed and they will probably not do it a second time without glasses of some sort on.

I watched a guy try to fireform 7.62x54 brass in a 8mm Steyr. His powder charge was too light to make the brass expand properly against the chamber and a flame leapt out of the action and into his face. He had a couple of black dots on his cheek and forehead but was more embarrassed than hurt, but only because he had glasses on.

I always wear glasses when shooting.
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Heres a couple of pics of why I wear my glasses whenever I shoot. First pic is me joking around about my mishap that occured when my Glock 30 SF blew up in my face. All joking aside, it wasnt very funny at the time. I had just taken my glasses off as I am getting old and I couldnt focus when Kaboom! Pieces of my Glock went everywhere and just barely missed my eye. Three weeks later I was poking the hole near my eye when a piece of tupperware came out. Wear your glasses ladies and gents! It aint worth losing your sight. When I go to the range I have a bunch of spare shooting glasses that I will loan to people who dont have them. BTW, my name is Bill thusly the Billseye.;):D

Attached Files:

14. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Cant believe my wife married such an ugly old coot!:eek:
  15. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Your a handsome man, dont kid yourself..... Did you put that glock where it belongs?....... The answer is yes I always wear eye protection. Just last week I had a 45 casing smack me in the forehead and left a smiley face. If it had hit my eye, well I dont want to think about it. When I was a young whipper snapper, I would shoot without eye or ear protection. Now, I wouldnt consider it. Only if I was forced to. You cant grow new eyes.