Shooting glasses, Yes or No

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jackman, Apr 7, 2011.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Nos, keep telling that story to EVERYONE.

I have seen enough "bounce back" from plate tables and Bowling Pins that have raised welts that WOULD have cost an eye without protection, that it has made me HAPPY my eyesight is so bad I have worn glasses since the 2nd grade....and the few years I wore CONTACTS i had DECENT sunglasses or shooting glasses on when I shot ANYTHING.

As far as the .22....I HEAR you, but STILL use glasses..

I shot a .22 pretty much unsupervised since I was 10 years old, and in my teens it was pretty common for friends and relatives to bring their .22s to our house where we lived in the country and we'd go "plinking," which meant targets of opportunity, sparrows, Starlings, blackbirds, crows, scrap metal, bats at sundown, whatever...

Once a "city" cousin decided it would be cool if we could shoot out the tires on my dad's old junk 1948 Ford 1/2 ton that was parked behind the sawmill with some other "junk" cars and in my youth and innocence, I said "Sure!"

It wasn't until we had all fired a few times with all our .22s and DIDN'T see any impressive blowouts like you would see on "Starsky and Hutch" or whatever else was on TV at the time, AND we heard some weird "zinging" noises around us that I called a stop, and we saw a BUNCH of neat gray marks on the treads (we were BEHIND it) but no punctures, that I suggested maybe they WEREN'T penetrating and they were bouncing back AT us!:eek:

We never shot at ANY tires in our plinking after THAT....

Funny thing, that SAME "City Cousin" once suggested we put a 20 guage shell in a rotten tree and shoot at it with our .22s to see if we could set off the PRIMER...and after about 20 rounds we shredded the shell base around the primer but NEVER hit it...and THEN he decided to try and set the primer off by putting his jackknife blade against the primer and hitting it with his HAND....:eek:

I finally said after he woosed it a couple of times the famous last words "Gimme that!" and put it against the primer and hit it HARD, and BLAM....:eek:

He was LAUGHING until I said "Oh no I'm BLEEDING," and he said, "Don't worry I'm a Lifeguard," and I said something like "GREAT, I'm bleeding to death not DROWNING!"

The tip of the knife blade was STUCK in my third finger of my left hand at the last knuckle through my glove..I STILL carry that scar...we packed it in snow, and snuck back home where he put a few band aids on it in the basement when we were "cleaning up" before dinner, so my DAD wouldn't find out, TOO tight, and during dinner I'm wondering why my finger is turning BLUE....:eek::D;)

It's AMAZING what you will do when you are young and stupid and about 14 or 15 years old when you listen to your "City Cousins..." even as the COUNTRY boy you should KNOW better...

I'll tell you some other time about what happened when he talked me into cutting up a 12 gauge shell and throwing the hull and primer into the fireplace, with his parents and mine playing pinochle in the next room....:cool:
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

There you go Folks, Why I will NEVER own a Glock!

It ISN'T that they went "Kaboom!" (and I believe that may EVEN be a COPYRIGHTED term to refere SPECIFICALLY to the early Glocks that blew up!, HELL, there was even a WEBSITE for a while called "Glocks go Kaboom!"

It was the CONDESCENDING way Glock treated all it's customers who HAD one come apart! Basically "Dumbass had it coming, shooting RELOADED ammo," and all the holier than though explanations of "unsupported case heads..." Hell, John Moses BROWNING knew about "unsupported case heads...."

SORRY, it was a Design Flaw...THAT since they have corrected, but they never ADMITTED it was a design flaw, which it WAS, and all the "Glockies" at the time FLOCKED to the defense of Herr Glock, which to tell you the truth MAY have been a good thing, they are pretty much FINE now and enjoy a WONDERFUL reputation with cops as WELL as Special Ops guys....

But I will NEVER own a GLock, no matter HOW I defended them right after they came out after they "snuck" the "plastic pistols" past airport security by FLASING A BADGE when the metal detectors beeped over the barrel slide and SPRINGS....

I DO own a polymer frame .22 (Ruger,) and WOULD consider maybe an an XD, but after the way Glock treated Glock Owners that HAD a catastrophic failure known as a "Kaboom," ....SORRY!:mad:
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

In all fairness to Glock, I was a new re-loader and I suspect that it was an error on my part during the loading process that caused the incident. I wont own a Glock though. Thats just me.
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I was at a pin shoot in the late 90s when some jacka$$ thought he would be good shooting 7.5 shot. My face got pelted with shot (it all bounced off the pin). My ear was bleeding from a pellet that nailed it and my eye pro was sideways on my face from three pellets that hit exactly where my left eye was. I would be blind right now if I had not bought a new pair or Wileys the day before. I was mad at first that my new eye pro was now in need of being relaced, but it was well spent money after I thought about it.

Loooooong before that I always wore eye pro because of sticks and such that always hit my face while bird and rabbit hunting. Its just habit now
  5. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Nope, never had the need since all of my semi-auto guns have a shell deflector.
  6. Jay

Jay New Member

Just curious, how do those shell deflectors work on objects originating from sources other than your guns?

Completely your call, and I hope your luck continues.
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

When ever you set-up safty rules or consider use of safety items, you must include "Murphy's Law" into the equation. Spoken from nearly 40 years of Industrial Safety experience.
  8. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Years ago while shooting a semiautomatic .22 LR pistol at an indoor range that was equipped with fixed blast panels and adjustable blast panels at each position, I had an out of battery discharge. At the time I was wearing a good high quality pair the standard aviator style of shooting glasses. Unfortunately for me, a lot of very minute brass shrapnel from the round hit the blast deflectors and then bounced behind the lens of the shooting glasses and right into the area of my right eye. Lesson learned. The polycarbonate shooting glasses with the side protection wings extending back that I wear today seem to eliminate a lot of that type of side ricochet eye hazard.
  9. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Oldeyes, what is an "I had an out of battery discharge." :confused:... Ironic your screen name for the post , fitting....
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Worst brass burn I got was from shooters to the side of me not from my own gun. Rimmed hats and glasses saved me from that. Not to worry though if you have a spare pair of eyeballs handy. I'm just a big sissy who isn't into pain and nothing hurts worse than something hot on an eyeball. Took me awhile to learn that because I am a hard headed Bohunk but even us hard heads learn eventually.
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Saw that happen with a US made M9 in the Marines. A slide to the face will scare the sh@t out of anyone. You are a lucky man. I always wear glasses. Also nothing like hot brass down the front or back of a flak jacket. Some things coming with shooting I guess.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I wear prescription glasses so I do not wear shooting glasses. I always wear hearing protection. Last week I had a piece of hot brass get between my glasses and my nose anyway!
  13. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Burnt my eye lid in the middle of a match with the same thing. I quickly switched from the cool sweat band look to the ball cap look and that stopped. Really difficult to concentrate on the front sight with a blister on your eye lid and tears running pretty steady from your dominant eye.

Before that at a Saturday practice I had taken a hot round right on the eyeball. Monday I made an appointment to get my eyes tested and a prescription pair of shooting glasses made for me. Took a month to get in and by then my eye was fine but I was a scared puppy for awhile. Going blind in one eye would have gotten me a medical discharge and I wasn't ready to leave. At least not under those circumstances.