Shooting Glasses

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/24/01 9:44:56 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Need input on shooting glasses
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, Guys! heres the deal. I wear Tri focals and my target acquisition timing is getting slower and slower due to trying to find the right lense to see through, head bobbing up and down. I walked in my local Optomerist and asked to be fitted for a pair of prescription shooting glasses that would be legal for a range that requires shooting glasses. The shook their head and said they needed to know what kind of lens do they need to be made of. They said would the Z71 Saftey lens work. I don't know what I need, can someone help. I don't want to buy a pair of Wal Mart glasses that have to fit over my regular prescription. I want a pair I could wear all the time if need be. Anybody got any thoughts on the subject.
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

procrastinator
    (8/24/01 9:52:43 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Need input on shooting glasses
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Morning to Ya Black Gun,
    I wear my company safety glasses full time. I tried bifocals and trifocals but could not get used to the lines.
    Now wear progressive lenses but still have to bob the old head around to focus properly.

southernfreedom
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/24/01 10:03:19 am)
    BlackGun: I have featherlight lens from Lenscrafter. Supposdly they withstand a blow from a hammer.
    I like them but be warned they will scratch if you are not careful. They're not very expensive.

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/24/01 10:26:02 am)
    OK< let me add a little more questioning here. So they have to wrap around or have side shields or can they just be plain old flat lenses?
    BlackGUN

procrastinator
    (8/24/01 10:33:18 am)
    My side shields slide on and off depending on what I want. The company specifies permenant but we just drill out the rivet and use them any way.

Xracer
    (8/24/01 12:47:10 pm)
    The shatterproof polycarbonate work safety glasses should be fine....just get them ground in whatever prescription works best for you on the range.

remingtongeo
    (8/24/01 3:49:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Polycarbonate is the way to go.
    I bought polycarbonate safety glasses with removable sheilds. It took a while to find a place that would tint them the way I wanted, but it was worth it. I have been using them for over a year. I was told that the lens had to be at least 3mm thick.

The one bad thing about polycarbonate is that it scratches easy, I dropped mine in the pits at a match and ouch.

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/24/01 5:40:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Polycarbonate is the way to go.
    welcome to the board Remingtongeo.
    glad to have you with us.
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 8/24/01 6:45:07 pm

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/24/01 6:10:26 pm)
    southernfreedom,

I also have the featherlight glasses from Lens Crafters, but I considered $400 for a pair of glasses expensive!!!

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/24/01 7:01:21 pm)
    Hey Blackgun
    Dosen't the range that requires the glasses also list an OSHA standard or # or an ANSI #? just tell the optomertist what specs the specs have to pass

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/24/01 7:56:17 pm)
    Fredneck does the el cheap-o glasses that fit over your normal eye glasses have an OSHA or an ASNI # on then for comparison. What the range requirements are, are shooting glasses. Plain vanilla shooting glasses. What I want is prescription shooting glasses that fit that minimum requirement, that's what I'm trying to rlay to the Eye Doctor but he has never had a call for such a prescription. And doesn't know what to use. If this makes since.
    BlackGUN
  2. EAGLEI

EAGLEI New Member

You might take a look at Hansen's Eagle Eye Shooting Glasses. The lenses are CR39 Optical Plastic which is light weight , impact resistant, won't scratch as easily as poly,resistant to hot sparks , and has superior optical clarity.
    The glasses are designed with special bifocal segments conveniently located for shooting.Rx and nonRx. See at http://www.hansenseagleeye.com
  3. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

I had a lot of trouble with safety specs. OSHA regs require that safety lenses be 2mm thick at the thinnest point and my astigmatism makes for some wildly thick lenses do to this requirement. I need bi-focals so it was really vertigo inducing to walk around wearing those things. My vision for shooting was never right anyway.

I eventually went with contacts and I love them. The adjustment period was a bit traumatic but I'll never go back if I have a choice. Instaed of bi-focal contacts, I have the torics and I use the $6 non-scrip readers from the drugstore. I have to wear safety glasses all the time at work and I find this arrangement much more convenient.
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I do the same, wuzza, except I wear the gas-permeable contacts instead of the torics. My astigmatism is bad also, and my regular glasses are thick and heavy enough, so I sure wouldn't want to add any more to the weight.