Shooting hogs with a .223 - What type of round would be best

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by hkruss, Nov 7, 2011.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

I have a friend who wants to hog hunt. Problem is, the only rifle he has is an AR. He asked me what type bullet would be best to use. Frankly, I'm not sure what to tell him, so I thought I would ask you guys.
    So what do ya'll think. Soft point, hollow point, A-max? Something else?
    The boy can shoot and has an accurate rifle with a good scope on it, so I don't doubt his ability to hit a brain or heart/lung shot. He just wants the best round for penetration and dumping the energy in a hog.

So what do you guys think?

2. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Which ever bullet weight works for him is fine. I use 55 grain HP because it is accurate for my guns. If his best is heavier like somewhere between 68 to 90 grain that much better. He shouldn't have any problem with .223 on hogs, I personally wouldn't use a 40 grain though, IMHO.
  3. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I'm a huge fan of noslers ballistic tip. It does eveything your looking for. The cominded technology box is pretty much the same bullet with a moly like coating. I've had a lot of great results with those! Check out the accubond as well!
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

55grn or better for hogs here, no worries , 40 grn can disintergrate on their skull or shear off ! HONEST!
  5. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

The heavier the better. Hogs have a tough hide. I have killed them with everything from a .22 LR to a SKS but they were in traps. Nothing I used made one shot kills including the .44 mag and ,45LC.
    358 Winchester, my neighbor Pete and I trapped over 200 while 358 was here. Part of the problem with shooting them in traps is they are milling around and charging the sides of trap and it is hard to get good shot placement. (also hard to convince your feet to stay put when they bounce off the side of the trap in front of you)
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

7. capgun

capgun Member

I hunt with a single shot 223 , just hit them in the haed and they go down . Plus you wast no meat .
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We've shot caribou with the old AR's, noslers; just never use FMJ's (which is what everybody seems to have cases of) or you'll just feed the wolves.
  9. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I would use the 60gr Nosler partition or the Barnes TSX in either 53 or 62 gr.
  10. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Thanks for the replies.

I may just start taking my AR when we hog hunt. (That Garand gets heavy!)

Neither one of us reload, so it looks like we're gonna do some ammo shopping on line.
    I was wondering about using hollow points. I was thinking that as tough as hogs are, that the hollow points might mushroom too soon before penetrating deep enough. What do you think?

11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Not the X bullets. Theyll shroom out but theyll stay intact and penetrate. I love them.
  12. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Barnes makes factory ammo with the TSX and Federal makes factory ammo with the 60 grain Nosler Partition, so you can get the quality bullet in factory ammo pretty easily.

The Barnes TSX is the only hollow point I would recommend. The others may not give you the penetration you need.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Last time up north i took a long shot at a big razorback at a bit longer than normal for a .223 with the barnes

Bullet did not penetrate the skull its self but knocked a penny sized fragment outta the skull in through the brain dropping it just as fast ..

i'm told razorbacks and the east european boars have the thickest skulls ( i dunno there , never seen a euro boar 'cept on tv ) so woulda done more on a common hog

so at normal ranges yeah they'll do the job easy ( just pricey )
  14. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

hkruss, Pick up a 6.8 stag carbine and you'll really enjoy hunting with an AR. I think my 6.8 is pretty close to a 308, I reload 110 barnes .277 and couldn't be happier with a short light gun with a 10 or 30 round clip if ya want.
  15. 436

436 New Member

Here's one way they do it, and us a .223 as well. PETA got too be loving this one.
    http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz344/hrt4me/?action=view&current=minigunonwildhogs.mp4
    Cheer's
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  16. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Thanks guys.

436, awesome video! Is that you shooting?

17. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

I dont think it really matters all that much if you shoot them in the ear.

Body shots are hard cause of the hide.

Ear, in the ear, behind the ear, just make sure its the ear.
  18. 436

436 New Member

I wish; no it's not me. I do have a friend with U.S. Ordnance in Sparks NV who has a mini mounted on a HV that hunt's Yotes once and a while with it. I’ve shot the mini many times both in the Military and civilian owned. They are a hoot and I could see where a guy could get addicted too one; like heroin, except I think heroin would be a lot cheaper.