Shooting in Adverse Conditions

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by The_Rifleman, Jan 18, 2012.

1. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Shooting in adverse conditions would probably be a good idea for a lot of hunters. What if high winds are in the forecast during hunting season, and you haven't had experience shooting in such weather?

That is why I take a shot a day, that way I am ready for whatever the weather has in store for me. This was today's shot.

30-06, Rain, 400 Yards

Of course in that rain storm, I wouldn't be able to see a deer or whatnot at that distance... unless they were albino of course. :p
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

train for the worst and the worst will be easy

cheers to you Rifleman
  3. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Thanks!

I was a boy scout and go by their motto, "Be prepared."
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Glad to see ya back, and posting! Love those long shots. Wish I had the room to try these for myself.
  5. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Thanks!

When I first started shooting I wish I knew what to expect as far as cartridge performance. I figure these shooting videos is a good way for others to see what is possible.
  6. garydude

garydude Member

Hey Rifleman, delighted to see you back; love the videos.

Question for you-do you shoot most of your rounds through a fouled bore or do you clean everytime before shooting? Either way, which gives you the most consistent shots?
  7. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Thank you!

I usually shoot from a fouled bore. If I shoot in the rain like I did in this video; I'll clean thoroughly, whereas the next shot I'll take through a "cold-bore," [absolutely clean.]

I'm glad you asked that!
    I used to think that a cold-bore shot's POI would always be different than a fouled bore shot.
    Later on I used to think that condition was rifle specific.
    Now I know the cold-bore deviation is load specific.

Therefore, I've developed loads in each of my rifles that have no cold-bore/fouled bore deviations. So it doesn't matter what my barrel condition is at any time, all shots will have the same POI... ambient temperature notwithstanding.

Whenever I develop a load now, when I test a potential load, I clean thoroughly then start the test group with a cold-bore.

Thanks again!
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012