Shooting Lead

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (2/28/01 1:52:38 pm)
    Reply shooting lead
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I shoot lead reloads in all my 1911's. A friend of mine came by my shop today and was looking at an IPSC open class pistol I'm building. He picked up my Schuemann Ultimatch Bull Barrel and compensator and said, "I don't think you can shoot lead bullets thru this". This is my 1st open class pistol, so I don't know either. Anyone have an answer ??

TYRVR
    TYRVR
    (2/28/01 3:21:56 pm)
    Reply Re: shooting lead
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sell Him A can of "Comp Spray", that stuff works wonders for the Guys running the mult-ports around here,

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/28/01 6:56:03 pm)
    I have a Colt Double Eagle Compact Officers Model for a
    carry gun and it jams every time I try to shoot lead.

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

TYRVR
    TYRVR
    (3/1/01 5:41:11 am)
    What bullet? H&G#68 style? or something else, and if Your springs are tuned to hot Factory loadings, You can't expect it to function with A target load, lead or otherwise,

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (3/1/01 7:09:43 am)
    I'm setting this one up to shoot factory ammo. The barrel isn't ported so I won't have to use the super hot stuff. But, for practice , I wanted to shoot lead.I shoot 100 to 200 rounds a day, if I shot factory stuff I'd be broke soon.You think I can use a lighter recoil spring and use lead ?

Xracer
    Xracer
    (3/1/01 9:06:30 am)
    I've never shot lead thru a compensated gun (I don't own one), but I've shot TONS of lead thru my various .45s and never had a problem. Of course, I don't mean PURE lead......that's way too soft...I use wheelweights.

And yeah, you'll want to go to a lighter spring for lighter loads. I've got 5 or 6 springs for my competition gun.....one for each load I use.

It'll take a little bit of trial & error, but what you're looking for is the strongest spring that will function reliably with each particular load you use.....then mark it so you know which spring is for which load.

TYRVR
    TYRVR
    (3/2/01 8:06:34 am)
    Old procedure for finding appropriate spring for A target style load,is to find A standard 17-18Lb. factory spring and trim A coil off length until it works for an entire magazine of target loads,and then keep A spring with one coil more and one coil less for matches, because of changing conditions and fouling,

shooter45 us
    shooter45us
    (3/2/01 9:33:29 am)
    Tye, Good advice. Shooter

Bompa
    (5/23/01 9:53:25 am)
    Just going through the old posts and found this one..
    Well I have been shooting lead for thirty five years and
    never had a problem. When I picked up a springfield factory
    comp years ago there was nothing else to shoot in it..Never
    even though about that expensive jacketed stuff..Great experince so had to have a plate and pin gun,couldn't just
    change loads and springs,so I put a comp kit in a govt. mod.
    colt,and continued to shoot lead..
    4gr bullseye and a 200gr SWC worked well for plates and general shooting..Had to kick it up a bit for pins though,
    went to 5gr bullseye and a 230gr RN..
    Never was a dificult task to keep the comp clean and now
    there is a spray that is supposed to help..
    Shoot lead and have fun..

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (5/23/01 11:19:13 am)
    I've been shooting jacketed bullets thru the comp gun. I haven't shot lead thru it yet,but I may try it. I shoot lead in all my other pistols and it works well.

rayra
    (6/26/01 1:34:57 am)
    Re: shooting lead
    honest question: why does shooting lead matter with a Comp? I thought the Comp bullet openings were slightly larger than barrel bore?

And as to spring changes, you should indeed tune your gun to the rounds you normally feed it, but if you are training regularly and are shooting with lead for economy, but will carry factory / hotter loads, your lead rounds should be made to more closely match your carry ammunition - same power factor / recoil impulse / controllability issues.

Rich

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/26/01 6:27:57 am)
    The comp gun was set up using 165 gr. PMC ammo. No problem getting to major power factor. I have now worked up a load using 155 gr. lead bullets. The gun runs without a hitch and I've had no problem with the barrel or 9 port compensator leading. Seems like I got some bad info. Most of the shooters here are using jacketed ammo in matches though. I did open the chamber slightly on the Schuemann barrel and feeding is more reliable.

Xracer
    (6/26/01 8:38:27 am)
    A few hints on shooting lead in .45ACP.....

1. Use wheelweights....nothing softer.

2. Slug your barrel and size your bullets accordingly.

3. Use a quality lubricant.

4. Stay below 1100 fps.

5. Clean your barrel with a stiff nylon or brass brush after EVERY shooting session.

I've cast and shot thousands of rounds of 200gr. SWC, 230gr. roundnose, and 250gr. Kieth-type bullets, and never had a leading problem.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/26/01 10:01:01 am)
    Xracer, this one is .40S&W. I didn't want to build a .38 super because everyone else shoots one. I use Clements Bullets,remember them ? Very hard alloy. I have known George for over 20 years. He just turned 80 and still casting all he can sell. I can't remember how fast these bullets are traveling,but no problem making MPF.

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/26/01 12:29:25 pm)
    Back when I competed EVERYBODY shot 200gr HG #68 SWC lead through their comp guns, no problems with normal maintenance. Nastoff set up his 6" comps just FOR lead....I don't know what the problem is....jacketed just adds to cost, IMHO.

I leaded up an old military barrel when I started out, I was using dry graphite lube, and never brushed, but it still took over 10,000 rounds in an already leaded barrel, even then just got the occasional keyhole.

Since then with normal care and occasional use of the Lewis lead remover, I've never had a buildup in my Bar-Sto 6" or my Colt Series 70 5".

Shoot Lead. Shoot often.

Bompa
    (6/26/01 1:13:14 pm)
    I don't believe that any of my guns have ever seen any
    factory ammo,except some old 45 ball,and very little
    jacketed stuff..Have started to use a bit of plated bullets
    but have to use up what I have in lead first..No problems,
    no super hot loads.. Just a lot of fun shooting..
    Even shoot lead in the rifles,45-70 is great,tried it in the
    22-250 even..Just a light plinking load but who says you must
    use serious stuff all the time.. Seems as though 30cal and up
    were made for lead,hard, bullets..
    Hell of a lot more bang for your buck..