Shooting my .40 caliber flintlock longrifle

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by duelist1954, Sep 15, 2012.

1. duelist1954

duelist1954 Member

I built this .40 caliber flintlock longrifle 20 years ago. It was my last build because I finally admitted I'm not as good as the professional builders and never will be. But it is fun to shoot.

I know this may be too basic for this crew, but in the video I'll show how to load a flintlock muzzleloader, and we'll do some shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPrrWjX7_T4&feature=youtu.be
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

cool see what you mean about your builds , screws ? done worse myself though went starting , but hey give it time and practice ...
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Neat and thanks for sharing. I tried a build one time with parts from Golden Aged Arms and came up with a .45 cal. flint. But one time was enough for me. Gees what a nerve racking experience, fun but once was enough.

Attached Files:

4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had a 50 cal Kentucky rifle kit and a pistol kit. They were both cap locks. Had a lot of fun building them. They were both stolen back in 1981.

My wife bought me a cap lock 50 cal for my birthday and my son gave me the pistol for fathers day. May have taken 31 years but I am back into black powder.

Good video. Your gun looks fine to me.
  5. duelist1954

duelist1954 Member

Todd,

I'd love to see more pictures of your rifle.
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

duelist, it was a labor of love but ever time I started to work I was always in fear of making the wrong cut either in the wood or the steel. Taking the hacksaw to that Green Mt. barrel to start a dove tail or getting a gouge after that Maple wood will up the blood pressure, ha. I made my share of mistakes but love it anyway. They just haven't come up with a good way to replace wood or steel that you remove by accident, ha. Here are some more photos.

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/todd511/Muzzle%20Loading/
  7. duelist1954

duelist1954 Member

Thanks for sharing. That's a pretty rifle.