1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Shooting my .40 caliber flintlock longrifle

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by duelist1954, Sep 15, 2012.

1. duelist1954

duelist1954 Member

I built this .40 caliber flintlock longrifle 20 years ago. It was my last build because I finally admitted I'm not as good as the professional builders and never will be. But it is fun to shoot.

I know this may be too basic for this crew, but in the video I'll show how to load a flintlock muzzleloader, and we'll do some shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPrrWjX7_T4&feature=youtu.be
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

cool see what you mean about your builds , screws ? done worse myself though went starting , but hey give it time and practice ...
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Neat and thanks for sharing. I tried a build one time with parts from Golden Aged Arms and came up with a .45 cal. flint. But one time was enough for me. Gees what a nerve racking experience, fun but once was enough.

Attached Files:

4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had a 50 cal Kentucky rifle kit and a pistol kit. They were both cap locks. Had a lot of fun building them. They were both stolen back in 1981.

My wife bought me a cap lock 50 cal for my birthday and my son gave me the pistol for fathers day. May have taken 31 years but I am back into black powder.

Good video. Your gun looks fine to me.
  5. duelist1954

duelist1954 Member

Todd,

I'd love to see more pictures of your rifle.
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

duelist, it was a labor of love but ever time I started to work I was always in fear of making the wrong cut either in the wood or the steel. Taking the hacksaw to that Green Mt. barrel to start a dove tail or getting a gouge after that Maple wood will up the blood pressure, ha. I made my share of mistakes but love it anyway. They just haven't come up with a good way to replace wood or steel that you remove by accident, ha. Here are some more photos.

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/todd511/Muzzle%20Loading/
  7. duelist1954

duelist1954 Member

Thanks for sharing. That's a pretty rifle.