The Firearms Forum banner

Shooting my .40 caliber flintlock longrifle

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  duelist1954 
#1 ·
I built this .40 caliber flintlock longrifle 20 years ago. It was my last build because I finally admitted I'm not as good as the professional builders and never will be. But it is fun to shoot.

I know this may be too basic for this crew, but in the video I'll show how to load a flintlock muzzleloader, and we'll do some shooting.

#4 ·
I had a 50 cal Kentucky rifle kit and a pistol kit. They were both cap locks. Had a lot of fun building them. They were both stolen back in 1981.

My wife bought me a cap lock 50 cal for my birthday and my son gave me the pistol for fathers day. May have taken 31 years but I am back into black powder.

Good video. Your gun looks fine to me.

#6 ·
duelist, it was a labor of love but ever time I started to work I was always in fear of making the wrong cut either in the wood or the steel. Taking the hacksaw to that Green Mt. barrel to start a dove tail or getting a gouge after that Maple wood will up the blood pressure, ha. I made my share of mistakes but love it anyway. They just haven't come up with a good way to replace wood or steel that you remove by accident, ha. Here are some more photos.

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/todd511/Muzzle%20Loading/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.