shooting ratshot in a buckmark pistol

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Plunnie, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Plunnie

Plunnie New Member

Has anyone tried to shoot ratshot in a 22 buckmark pistol? I tried but im having trouble with the gun cycling. I'm open to ideas and suggestions
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

rat shot is loaded to subsonic vel. usually to light a load to cycle a semiauto pistol.
  3. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

I have a Buckmark also but have never attemped to use 22 buck shot in that gun.I think it's best to use only in a 22 revolver.I don't think it's very effective on snakes from what I've heard but probalbly works on mice/rats.

It sounds like hunter29180 has your answer.It makes perfect sense.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its not going to cycle. Theres no bullet to contain the pressure and drive the slide rearward. You have to manually rack the slide each shot.
  5. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

They will not work in a Ruger 10/22 either. Makes auto turn into a single shot, better get the rattlesnake with the first shot.
  6. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

I have probably fired over a hundred round of .22lr rat shot and have yet to even disgruntle a snake or a rat or a mouse much less kill one. I test fired them at a sheet of paper starting from 15'. The shot didn't penetrate. At 10' about half the shot stuck in the paper. Finally achieved penetration at 5' or less. My opinion, wonderful noise makers.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I use them to shoot hand tossed clay pidgeons with my pistols. They work OK for that. I dont use the CCI blue shot capsules either. I use the Federal crimped brass shotshells.
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

You can one round at a time. I used the CCI blue capsule stuff. I don't like the crimp stuff and CCI patterns better for me.
  9. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

I tried the .22 rat shot about a mth ago in my S&W 22A-1 and it didn't cycle either. Did it to just to satisfy my curiosity. I also use the crimped Federal's and have shot several 'critters' with them out of my Ruger Single-Six's. I've killed several garder snakes up to 2' in length from 10-15' distance and also several yr's ago had 4 tree rats in my garage and nailed all 4 w/ the .22 shot shells at 15-20 ft distance. I have had good results using them, out of my 6" Ruger's.
  10. 22wood

22wood New Member

I killed 7 flying squirrels out of a small storage building.A snake in my out building all without putting any holes in the roof or walls.No more than ten feet away! That's what this ammo is for.
  11. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

You will never get a semi-auto pistol or rifle to function with .22 shot. Used to shoot rats in my friends chicken houses. Loads of fun doing that. Shined them at night with a flashlight. If you kept the light in their eyes you could walk right up point-blank and blast them. (He used to pay boys .25 cents for a pair of rat's ears. Spending money for the kids and fewer rats for him!)
  12. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

These rounds need to be fired from a smoothbore 22 rifle.I know remington used to make one. Someone once told me they called the bore of that gun a rutledge bore, starts of as a22 smooth bore but opens up almost to the size of a 410 shell. After 30-40 feet pretty :)useless!
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  13. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Rat shot wont cycle a slide. It has a donut shaped pattern when fired from a rifled barrel so works best from a short barreled revolver. CCI blue nose holds a pattern better than crimped loads. I've killed a lot of snakes with the CCI but I wouldn't dare try them on something like a water mocassin.
  14. dmoney

dmoney New Member

this is definetely an oh crap round for when you stumble across a snake at up close distances
  15. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Member

Great little round for shooting the danged Carpenter Bees at the range. We call them "skeet that dodges!"