Shooting Safety Glasses?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ryan42, Jul 6, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I am going to buy me a new pair of shooting glasses and I am wondering what you all use the clear ones or the yellow amber ones?Im gonna be mostly trap and skeet shootin if that helps.
  2. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

I would buy both if I were you. On a cloudy day you will love the yellow shooting glasses but on a sunny day they make it harder to see the targets from the brightness.
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like the yellow tinted ones. They seem to make things a little brighter on overcast days. We have lots of those over here.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yellow is king! They work great on less than sunny days or even driving at night.

I keep clear for tactical use but yellow on the range. Bought a pair of ESS with sunglasses, clear and yellow lenses that can withstand a standard 12g target load at 30 feet and exceed milspec. There are so many out there but I would say to look at AOSafety and similar cheaper brands first; they usually meet or exceed milspec and don't cost $300 like the 'big names'
  5. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

I never thought about wearing the yellow ones at night for driving, might have to give it a try.
  6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, light yellow shooting glasses work great for twilight or hazy/fog driving.
    I use light yellow for overcast days, but most of the time I prefer a light neutral-grey.

If you do a lot of trap/skeet/clays with orange targets, check out a set of the rose colored lenses too. It takes some getting used to, siince they really skew your color perception but yellows and oranges just jump out at ya!

A quick Google turned up this page that describes the common shades pretty well and what they're useful for.
    http://www.shooting-glasses-guide.com/shooting-glasses-lens.htm

Whatever you choose, make sure they are UV-blocking lenses (either the material or by a coating). Yes, you CAN get a serious case of "welder burn" if you're wearing dark shades, non UV-coated lenses on a really bright sunny day. They decrease the amount of visible light so your pupils open more...letting more UVs into your eye where they do the damage.
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i like amber myself
  8. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

I use either depending on light conditions. I have a pair of +2 half-moon plastic lenses that will stick to the bottoms of sun glasses or safety glasses. Handy at the range for setting scopes, etc. Only a few bucks at drug store in the reading glasses section. On safety glasses, be sure to look for the ANSI certification for penetration requirement.
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, I've seen guys with the rose colored lenses that swear by them but never really liked them that much myself. Even when it's bright and sunny out, my yellow lenses do great; they block the UV rays which still protect your vision and you can see amazingly well.

I will often wear yellow while hunting also, it seems to enhance things a bit but more importantly they protect the eyeballs.
  10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I own both. One was a pair that my parents gave me for my birthday one year along with the nice pair of muffs I have. The other are just Smith & Wesson brand safety glasses that I kept from work that are clear.

I like the clear better.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Ryan, make a trip to the nearest Safety Store, they have everything you need in safety glasses, and in just about any color. They are not made for show, so you won't be setting any fashion trends, but they work, and they won't cost you an arm, and a leg!
  12. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I always wondered if they make bullet proof safety glasses?
  13. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  14. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I seen some at walmart for 8.99
  15. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I never wore safety glasses. Probaly never will. I always thought it would have some kind of an effect on when your looking through a scope.Basically just be in the way.