The Firearms Forum banner

Shooting the French Model 1935A Pistol

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  duelist1954 
#1 ·
The French Model 1935A pistol isn't something I run across very often. The .32 French Long cartridge has been obsolete for decades, so putting together ammunition is a major operation. I've gotten some custom made brass and developed a load, so in this video we'll see how this old pistol does on the range.

#2 ·
Thanks for the information and video. I like old guns as well.

Your overall length problem most likely derives from using a bullet with a tighter ogive and a 'shoulder' rather than the FMJ with longer, sloping ogive. But as you said, getting anything to shoot is the goal. (I once had an 11mm Mauser rifle and NEVER did find the 'correct' bullets.)

I would also mention you might give COTW a break. One finds a bit of 'tolerance' in manufacturing specifics. For instance, 9x19 barrels have run from .355 to .362, depending on manufacturer and day of week. (Never buy a pistol made on a Friday afternoon.) For COTW to miss your pistol's barrel by .001 inches really isn't so bad.

Regarding accuracy: In addition to your reloads and the fixed sights, you didn't mention the trigger weight and length of pull. In my collecting of .32 ACP pistols from the Art Deco period, I find most of them have trigger pulls of eight pounds and more. Not to mention considerable movement prior to sear release.

I have a French MAB modele 'D', initially made in the middle 1930s. I found it shoots considerably better - both accuracy and reliability - than I feared. There's a write up on my blog site - which is shown in my signature.

#3 ·
Hi Archie, The trigger pull on mine is actually pretty good. Four and a half pounds and crisp. So no complaints from me on that score.

I use COTW a lot, I'm not knocking it. I'm just saying, in this case, it didn't work out for me. Mike Venturino also has one of these and he's loading it about the same way I do, except he's using a different powder. He's getting about the same POA and accuracy results that I am.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.