Shooting Times .30 RAR NEW AR ROUND!!!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Tony22-250, May 3, 2009.

1. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

If you have not done so already go out and buy the new issue of Shooting Times available at your local Walmart. In this issue it has an article about the NEW .30 RAR round fired from an AR platform that exceeds the recent 6.8 SPC in performance! great article recommended read for any black rifle enthusiast!!!

30rarop.png
  2. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I'm not impressed with the cartridge. They had to make an underpowered 308 round to make the claim that it's an equal to it. The 30 ar round is equilivent to the 308 with the 125 grain bullets. However, remington makes 308 rounds with much heavier bullets going quite a bit faster. I'd just as soon buy one of the larger semi-autos for big game. As for plinking, small game, and target I'm sure it's great though.
  3. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

I agree with you GMF. Got to love my DPMS .308L.
  4. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    It's really just a reworked 7.62x39. Not a bad idea but I doubt it will gain much following.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, same ballistic concept as the 7.62x39. This one is based on the '06/.308 case head size though.

I don't think it'll catch on either...but I've been wrong before.
  6. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I'm sure it'll do okay, just the same as the AKs do. I'm guessing some people/agencies will want an AR in a 30 cal. There are so many calibers and overlap it's sort of silly sometimes. But, people want what they want for whatever reasons. I'd go for the BAR, or AR 25 or an M14 or something like that in a 308 over the an ar15 variant in the 30ar round.
  7. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

They are simply trying to get a 30 caliber rifle in a 22 caliber platform and claim so.

I have a 7.62x39 upper and handloaded matches or excedes this round.
    If you want a real 30 caliber for long range and heavy game, the 308 requires a larger AR platform.

Remington is moving away in holding hands with the family of AR they bought and it tells me they are speaking out of both sides of they`re mouths. They want to change the name becuase they are wenies. They are traveling the road of the infamous gun writer who ruined his career over this very rifle.
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  8. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

If it will push a 150 - 168 Gr. bullet 2600 fps. in a upper that will fit my AR 15 lower, I'll buy one!
  9. job

job New Member

I have a browing 12ga light twelve , the numbers are 13043. Does anyone know the age of this gun?
  10. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Hi job, and welcome to the forum. Posting this in a thread about a completely independent topic in a forum that isn't about identification won't get you an answer very quick.

Try asking in the "ASK THE PRO'S & WHAT'S IT WORTH?" or the "TECHNICAL QUESTIONS AND INFORMATION" forums.
  11. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

This from the company that brought you the 8mm Remington Magnum. The same company that put a belt on the 416 Remington Magnum decades after the belt is recognized as worse than useless. The same company that put a belt on the 7mm Remington Magnum for that matter. How many good ideas had Remington had in the last 50 years? 44 Remington Magnum? Elmer Kieth. 41 Remington Magnum? For what? 350 Remington Magnum? Obsolete. 244 Remington? Obsolete. 6mm BR? Obsolete. The same company that couldn't imagine a modern 375 like the 375 Steyr or 375 Ruger? So Remington has brought us a wonderful new cartridge. My advice, buy five or ten boxes of ammo, don't open them, wrap them in tin foil and put them up. In a decade or so they will be valuable collector items.
  12. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

You ain't gonna get no 2600 fps out of this cartridge with a 150, much less a 168. You just ain't.
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Why does it HAVE TO BE a .30 caliber?? I have 5 rifles in 308 and 4 of them are heavy as tanks. The 5th being a dpms 308 sportacticle WITHOUT the heavy barrel. Its alot lighter than the others but still heavier than i think it needs to be.
    So how about an AR style rifle in something like 25-06? Alot more punch than a 223/556 and lighter than a 308 rifle.

Or maybe one for a 270?

Maybe i better go look at dpms webpage... they might have it. lol I know they have one in 243...

mike
    gn
  14. LarryK

LarryK New Member

You people sound so stupid!

When you search "30 AR" on google and look at the case drawing it brings you to this page. This page is probably spreading half the misinformation on the net about this cartridge!

Let's see.

"It's really just a reworked 7.62x39."

No, sorry. Not even close. Do you have any idea how much powder a 7.62x39 case holds? 35.6 grains. Hmm, that's odd, the 30 AR holds 44 grains of powder. How in the heck is that a reworked 7.62x39?

A 7.62x39 pushes a 125 grain bullet at 2350FPS. A 30 AR pushes the same bullet to 2800FPS. That's 450FPS faster. In other words, way faster.

Suwannee Tim, you are really going to base a cartridges effectiveness on a company's previous cartridges? How does doing so provide any fact to the matter besides dragging on some useless stereotype? Do you even realize you said this, "6mm BR? Obsolete."?

Does anyone hear that? The 6mmBR, current national record holder for long range target shooting in countless categories, is obsolete the man says. Good one.

The 30 AR makes a new gun out of an upper swap from a 5.56x45. A gun close to AR30 platform performance with the swap of an upper. I know that some of you like ignoring certain things because you hate admitting your old 308 isn't the best thing since sliced bread, but stop ignoring this. The round does great things. The case is something a benchrest shooter would give a thumbs up to, and the ability for your AR15 to easily shoot the round is a blessing.

Don't short any credit that is due to the 30 AR. If your going to discuss it, don't misinform others of its ability with incorrect statements.

Peace ;)
  15. Gene Seward

Gene Seward Member

Sorry Larry, but you are about 21 months behind on the issue.