short barrel for Rem. 1100

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by carver, Jan 22, 2011.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I need a little help guys, and gals. I want to put an 18" barrel on my 1100, and I want it to have rifle sights on it. I can't find one! I might be barking up the wrong tree, I don't know. The only thing I have found so far is a 21" barrel with a Rem-choke. I have to assume that the Rem-choke will screw out, and I can screw in an improved cylener, but am not sure. Any ideas?
  2. wkd

wkd New Member

What you have found is a slug bbl, that is the shortest that I am aware of with sights. the earlier version of the slug bbl came with a IC fixed choke. The Remchoke version is a lot more versatile, chokes are available from cyl to turkey as well as rifled. You could of course cut off a vent rib bbl and add sights to the rib, I would go for the 21 inch factory. 3 inches shouldn't make that much difference in handling.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I personally would order the tactical sights from brownells and silver solder them to my barrel and then re-finish. The easiest way to get what you are looking for myles, is to cut down a vent rib barrel to 18.5" and add tru-glo turkey sights to it, which is a standard 3 dot set-up with 2 green hi vis dots in the rear and one red hi vis up front...
  4. carver

carver Moderator

JLA, I have two barrels for this gun right now. It came with a 30" ribbed barrel that I won in a Ducks Unlimited raffel, and I have purchased a 28" barrel with three Rem-Chokes. If I buy the 21" barrel will I be able to remove the Rem-Choke, and screw in an Improved? If not I suppose I could cut down the 28" barrel to 18 1/2", and add sights.
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Carver, don't do anythig yet. I think I found you a barrel.
  6. wkd

wkd New Member

Chances are the tube in there is an imp cyl.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

Hadn't thought of that! I was thinking that this was a deer hunting barrel for shooting slugs, so I thought that the tube in it would be rifled! Maybe not! If it's an IC tube, then I have to ask why? Wouldn't it be an IC if it is only 21" for deer?
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

if its smoothbore and designed for rifled slugs it will have a IC choke, that is what is recommended for use with rifled slugs, if you wish to use sabot type slugs you will have to buy a rifled tube, and if you want to use buckshot get a turkey choke (extra full)
  9. carver

carver Moderator

How's it looking on that barrel?
  10. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

carver, Remington made a fixed choke barrel with adjustable sights for the 1100, but it was 21". I have one in my gun closet. The barrel doesn't have a choke marking but the "dime test" tells me it is Cylinder or IC. I've never seen an adjustable sight 1100 barrel in 18". I have seen 18" bead sight barrels.

The 21" rifle sight fixed choke versions are definitely out there.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

You all have got me thinking about cutting down the 30" barrel to 20", and adding some nice sights. It would be IC once cut to 20", and would allow me to shoot slugs, and 00 Buck. Instead of paying $200+ for the new 21" Rem-Choke. That still leaves me with the 28" barrel with Rem-Chokes. What do you all think of this idea?
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats the route id take. I have done this with more than a couple shotguns and they always shot slugs quite well. Even the buckshot holds a pretty dense pattern at 25 yds with the open cylinder bore
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

here ya go carver, this is my rem 870. I cut the barrel down from 28 inches to 19 inches. I just measured 18 inches and cut it in front of the next post on the rib, then used a flat bastard file to square the bore down to the start of the post. Then once i had it square i stoned it and radiused the edges and cut the top of the rib back 45* from the bore so it wouldnt snag on the case, then used a 1" fine stone ball drinder in a drill to radius the muzzle crown, then a little cold blue and a magnetic birdbuster sight and voila! It shoots fantastic with slugs and buckshot, and still holds a good enough pattern I can shoot clays, bunnies and doves with it with birdshot...

Attached Files:

14. Shooter45

Just saw the guy and I'll find out exactly what he has by the weekend.
  15. Shooter45

Carver, you had better start cutting. All he had was a 30" , 2 3/4 barrel. Sorry.