Short Barreled Shotgun

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by johnlives4christ, Sep 6, 2010.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the wife does have a few guns on her wishlist. a glock 19, a 1911 in 9mm, a smith 617 10 shot 22 lr and a ruger 10-22 with pink stock. i think she needs a 410 riot gun and an m1 carbine or ar15 with collapsible stock, but she dont
  2. Conman

Conman Member

3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Alpo, I have a question on this subject. Do you have to pay the $200 for each NFA item?
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yes. It's a tax on the registration of the item itself. So, if you buy, say, a silencer, for 500 bucks, it's gonna actually cost you 700, 'cause you got to pay the government the 200 tax. Then if you sell it to john, then plus whatever you charge him for it, he's gonna have to pay the government 200 tax.

There is a class of NFA items called "any other weapon", where the tax is only 5 dollars. But, once again, if you buy an AOW, you also pay the Feds 5 bucks, and if you buy another one it's another 5 bucks, and if you sell it the new owner has to pay them 5 bucks.

You got your machines guns, which are their own class, your Short Barreled Rifles and/or Short Barreled Shotguns, which once were full size and have been cut down, and your silencers. These all have the 200 dollar tax. If you get a short rifle or shotgun that never was full size - that is, it never had a shoulder stock on it, then that is considered an Any Other Weapon, and it only costs 5 bucks to register it. AOWs also include guns that don't look like guns - cane guns, for instance.

There's another class, called "Deadly Devices". These are rifles bigger than 50 caliber, and bazookas and 40mm grenade launchers. I don't know how much they cost, as I've never had anything to do with them.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Conman, as has been said a time or twenty, IT IS NOT A LICENSE. It is a one-time tax. If you read that link you posted, you will see that it says, quite clearly >the SUPER-SHORTY is considered an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and can be transferred with a $5 stamp! < You still have to pay, you just don't have to pay as much.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I saw the shorty at a local gun show here in TX once. The guy selling these guns stated that since they bought the receiver only, never having been assembled as a gun, then it was legal to put a pistol grip on it, and a short barrel. He did state that it was an AOW. When I was 13 we made a pistol from a 410 shot gun (illegal), and shot it quite a bit. That experience taught me that I really didn't want to own any shotgun with a really short barrel. They just simply are not effective.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i've pretty much scrapped the idea of getting a short barreled shotgun. while i think it would be affective i dont think it would be worth it. not with the 200 dollar tax and the hassle of not being able to tote it around without questions.

for now i'll keep my shotgun 18. should shtf in a major way, lenox and me will have a field day.

perhaps my mind will change at some point during the future and i'll get some NFA toys, but really im content with what i have , except i need a 22 rifle