Short LoP gun help

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Clint KY, May 31, 2012.

1. Clint KY

Clint KY New Member

I need some advice. I am looking for a bolt action .243, but I have short arms and my Length of Pull is only 12.75”. Most of the newer synthetic stocks have a LoP in excess of 13.5” and some as high as 13.75”. Being synthetic (plastic) makes shortening the stock beyond my capabilities. Some of the wooden stocks have the cheek rest so close to the butt plate shortening them is problematic also. I have looked at some of the “Youth” models, but they are normally too short, being in the 12” range.

Short of buying a rifle and then spending about the same amount on a custom stock (that ain’t gonna happen) does anyone have any ideas how I might find a gun that fits?
  2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Check out BOYD'S STOCKS. There not costly stocks with darn near all around 100 bucks.

Contact Boyd's Stock and see if they can work something out for you to help with a shorter LOP to a laminate stock. I cut a stock of theres some years back to 13" with a heavy simms recoil pad for my kids to use. The high comb " check rest" was never a concern. !3" could easily been shorter too.
    Your 12.75" does not seem a big deal atleast with there stocks.

My boyd's JR classic has a LOP of 13 5/8ths ". Machineing for the check rest is a full 1 3/4" forward of there . Thats the same stock i cut down on my girls rifle. I also use it. So your LOP should not be problem depending on your rifle.
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  3. Clint KY

Clint KY New Member

Boyd's specifically says that they will NOT do any custom work which includes adjusting the LoP. That option still takes a $300 gun and makes it a $400 gun that is worth $300. I was hoping that someone might be able to suggest a Youth model a bit longer than most or a model with straight stock that I can shorten myself. One of my rifles came with a recoil pad and I removed it without any ill effect as it is only a .223 and the recoil pad was not needed. I bought a flat butt plate from Brownell's and it fits fine.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Easy. You sound like a mechanically enclined fella. Get a youth model and make a spacer for the buttstock that will fit under the buttpad. something you can easily shape to the stock and buttpad. If its a wood stock gun, make a wood spacer. plastic stock, use plastic.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They also make slip on recoil reducers that will lengthen the LOP. Limbsaver has a small that will fit most any youth stock and adds about an inch or so to the length.
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

For a new production rifle, look at the Mossberg super bantam model of the 100 atr rifle; the lop is adjustable from 12 to 13 inches.
    Otherwise, you may want to look at the used rifle section for available wood stocked rifles and take a few measurements, possibly a swap from a recoil pad to a solid buttplate could help, or perhaps a swap from a thicker shotgun style pad to a thinner rifle style pad could get you close.

Also, there are a number of adjustable shotgun adapters.pads and such shown in the Brownells catalog that may increase the range of options for fitting a rifle to your frame. If you are fitting a gun to yourself only, do not be too bashful about cutting a wood stock; beauty may have to take a backseat to fit in your case.
  7. Clint KY

Clint KY New Member

Thanks - I did not know that and while a .243 doesn't really need one it certainly adds to the gun.
  8. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Richards microfit is where you need to look. http://www.rifle-stocks.com/economy_line_styles.htm

Get the basic stock and cut her down. A chop saw, some rasps and files sandpaper and you are good to go. Get yourself a grind to fit pad and put it on there and get it close then finish it when you finish sand the stock then slap a few coats of finish on the stock bang your done.
  9. Clint KY

Clint KY New Member

While the Richards stocks are inexpensive, they still add $100 to the cost of the gun. I was hoping to find an existing model that either fits or can be made to fit without much (or any) cost.
  10. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Any gun with a wooden stock can be made to fit. Just cut it down and put a grind to fit on it grind it to fit (If you have sander that will handle the task). Still gonna cost you some money.

Firearms are build for average people if you are above or below that average then you have to live with it or spend the money to make it work.

Take a look at the Savage 11/111 Lady Hunter. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Lady

That might be the ticket you are looking for. I couldn't find a LoP figure on it but I am assuming that since 90% of women are of a smaller frame the LoP would be shorter.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They have an article on the lady hunter in Shooting times this month. The LOP is 12.5".. My wife wants one.
  12. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I don't think a 1/4" either way is going to make much of a difference.
  13. Nerostarr

Nerostarr New Member

Look at the Savage Axis Youth in 243, it has a longer LOP than a standard youth rifle. I have one in 223 and I will measure the LOP if you want, it should be exactly the same on the 243.
  14. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have the Mossberg ATR 100 Super Bantam .243 that CHW2021 mentioned. It has a synthetic stock with butt spacers allowing the LOP to be varied between 12 and 13 inches. It is my goto Whitetail gun. Not pretty but it shoots well and was reasonably priced. The triggers have been improved since I bought mine.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah the mossbergs copied the savage accutrigger.