Short LoP gun help

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Clint KY, May 31, 2012.

1. Clint KY

Clint KY New Member

Thanks - that is just the kind of information for which I was looking. I will grab the Shooting Times while I am out on my errands today. I have always had a preference for Savages. And the improved Mossburg trigger is good news as I played with a "full sized" ATR 100 and thought the trigger was gritty.

I am going to have to make a trip to one of the larger shops in Louisville or Lexington as the shops here have very limited stock. They can get me anything I want but I really want to hold it in my hand before I spend the money.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Good thinkin. ;)
  3. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Hey Clint, before you go dashing off look at the Brownells catalog and check the variety of recoil pads, stocks and other tidbits that are available; more info won't hurt.

I agree with the Savage rifle, but do keep an open mind and remember what you went shopping for.
  4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

If your rifle has a thick recoil pad on it now take it off. epoxy a standard old school but plat on it smooth the edges with fine sand paper on a block of wood and go to shooting. That would make it 12 3/4".

Just what is your rifle now thats to long to deal with??
  5. Clint KY

Clint KY New Member

I have been shortening my rifles since I started to shoot. The problem lies in the new synthetic stocks. I have an NEF which I replaced the recoil pad with a plain butt plate, which is my coyote gun. Other than one of my military rifles, I presently do not have a CF big enough to hunt deer, so am looking for something. I have found some wooden stocked rifles but many have a large cheek rest that extends too far back to be able to remove 1" of the stock without cutting into the rest making the butt pad unmanageable.

I am planning a trip to the "big city" where I can visit a gun shop or two that has a large enough selection for me to find something that suits me. I will either buy it there or if it is an order type sale I will come home and let my local gun shop do that for me. They have been very accommodating and I would like to give them my business. The shop by the way for those of you in west Kentucky, is First Choice Firearms in Murray.
  6. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Hey Clint, look at the Mosin Nagant rifle whaie you are out, I have always felt the lop was just short for fit to me; maybe it will work in your favor. If nothing else, they are fun to shoot and rather cheap to buy.
    Have fun shopping.
  7. Clint KY

Clint KY New Member

I am fairly sure that the MN is only available in 7.62X54R - As I said in the original post, I am looking for a .243. If I want to drag out a military rifle, I have a beautiful 03-A3 in the locker.