1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

(Short-short) History of Car Bombs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrkirker, Mar 4, 2009.

1. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Upon reading a comment giving 'credit' to the invention of the 'car bomb' to Jolly ole England, (unrelated comment in the Self Defense Tactics section), I began to question where the exact occurrence first might have happened. My first guess would have been somewhere in Ireland, as the 'bold' IRA seemed esp. adept in that cowardly means of wrecking havoc upon non-combatants. However, it seems that our 'melting pot', the good old USA, has foisted yet again another dubious 'first' upon the world:

The Poor Man's Air Force
    A History of the Car Bomb (Part 1)
    By Mike Davis

Buda's Wagon (1920)

"You have shown no pity to us! We will do likewise. We will dynamite you!
    -- Anarchist warning (1919)

On a warm September day in 1920, a few months after the arrest of his comrades Sacco and Vanzetti, a vengeful Italian anarchist named Mario Buda parked his horse-drawn wagon near the corner of Wall and Broad Streets, directly across from J. P. Morgan Company. He nonchalantly climbed down and disappeared, unnoticed, into the lunchtime crowd. A few blocks away, a startled postal worker found strange leaflets warning: "Free the Political Prisoners or it will be Sure Death for All of You!" They were signed: "American Anarchist Fighters." The bells of nearby Trinity Church began to toll at noon. When they stopped, the wagon -- packed with dynamite and iron slugs -- exploded in a fireball of shrapnel.

"The horse and wagon were blown to bits," writes Paul Avrich, the celebrated historian of American anarchism who uncovered the true story. "Glass showered down from office windows, and awnings twelve stories above the street burst into flames. People fled in terror as a great cloud of dust enveloped the area. In Morgan's offices, Thomas Joyce of the securities department fell dead on his desk amid a rubble of plaster and walls. Outside scores of bodies littered the streets."

Buda was undoubtedly disappointed when he learned that J.P. Morgan himself was not among the 40 dead and more than 200 wounded -- the great robber baron was away in Scotland at his hunting lodge. Nonetheless, a poor immigrant with some stolen dynamite, a pile of scrap metal, and an old horse had managed to bring unprecedented terror to the inner sanctum of American capitalism.

Buda's wagon was, in essence, the prototype car bomb: the first use of an inconspicuous vehicle, anonymous in almost any urban setting, to transport large quantities of high explosive into precise range of a high-value target. It was not replicated, as far as I have been able to determine, until January 12, 1947 when the Stern Gang drove a truckload of explosives into a British police station in Haifa, Palestine, killing 4 and injuring 140.
  2. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Well you know us melting pot types like to be first in everything. That is I mean the USA. Just another dubious first. By the way just how many dubious first do we have in the USA now.
  3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Oh, I can think of one VERY doubious 'first' in DC!
  4. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Ok now that made me laugh.