The Firearms Forum banner

Shorts in a savage MKIIGL?

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  mr.t7024 
#1 ·
Thinking about buying one of those rifles. Can you shoot shorts in them? It's a bolt gun.
Btw, can I post links?

#2 ·
yep - you can post links (not sure if you can shoot shorts in that gun though)

to post a link just type [ URL ]www.linkname.link[ /URL ]

Just leave the spaces out that I put in the brackets

#4 ·
It's a bolt action rifle, it should handle cb shorts, shorts, longs, and long rifle. I said it should, but Savage might not have made the magazine capable of handeling all .22 cartridges. So if they did not, then you could still load them one at a time.

#12 ·
I see it's Ripe:rolleyes: but I am still going to make a comment!!

Yesterday, I ordered a Savage Mark II fv-sr to complement my new silencer, I am looking forward to shooting some shorts through it. I live in a subdivision and I plan on a little very quiet squirrel hunting in my back yard with the shorts.

#14 ·
I have shot them quite a bit. You have to be very careful about shooting them in a rifle, the first time I fired one, the bullet stuck about half way down the barrel. I like shooting them in my NAA mini-revolver, as I have mentioned before, you can watch them go, all the way from the barrel to the target.

I haven't seen longs in a long time but I do have a couple boxes of shorts, what I have always called CB mini caps.

#17 ·
A short through a suppressor ought to be as silent as it gets. Probably wouldn't cause a blip on a dB meter at two feet.

Rounds marked 'Colibri' are supposed to be primer only and are usually marked for use "only in handguns" due to possibility of a round lodging in a rifle barrel. CB Caps do have a minimal charge of powder to insure the bullet exits.

#18 ·
T
Rounds marked 'Colibri' are supposed to be primer only and are usually marked for use "only in handguns" due to possibility of a round lodging in a rifle barrel. CB Caps do have a minimal charge of powder to insure the bullet exits.
The Colibri that I have do not say that, I have had them since they first came out and before that warning. I have read that they started putting that warning on them later on because of the problems with rifles. I am actually working on my very last box of them!

#19 ·
I'd guess "no" but it'd be a guess - based upon the clip feed. Clips allow bullets to slide forward & such may cause jamming. I recently bought a Henry cuz I wanted to shoot shorts after a year of not being able to find a tube fed bolt action. The Henry duz fine! Sounds about like a BB gun with shorts & groups under 1" @ 25 yds. LRs group about 3" higher than the shorts.

#20 ·
I picked up the Savage Mark II fv-sr this past Friday. I got the FV-SR model because I wanted the threaded barrel for my new-ish suppressor. After Church today I fired a few shorts through it. This rifle fed the shorts from the magazine perfectly with only one hitch when I worked the bolt very slow! I got to tell you that the shorts are so quiet, with the suppressor, that the only thing you can hear is the firing pin hitting the case.

#21 ·
In any .22lr that is marked as such,one can shoot shorts in maybe single rounds, clips or tubular magazines. The problem is when you try to load .22LR'S , they may not load. This is because the chamber of that gun because of shooting the shorts has a white ring in it (leaded up)which prevents the LR from chambering. Which will cause a lot of scrubbing to get the lead out of the chamber. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.