Shot an XD-9 Today

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Vladimir, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Went to the range and rented an XD-9 sub compact and Glock 19 (both 9mm). Surprisingly, I shot the XD, even with the smaller configuration (smaller barrel by at least an inch off the top of my head) quite better. Mostly shocking since I've shot my dad's Glock 22 since I was 13. Additionally the thumb-safety add on, which the range confirmed they should have available within a couple months it is making the XD very tempting (I don't intend to always use the thumb-safety for CCW, but I like the option being there).

I think my next order of business is to try out the same XD in .40 along with the Glock 27 (or whichever one is the subcompact .40). Though it's been a couple months since I shot the Glock 22 the 9mm, off the top of my head, did not seem a significant reduction in recoil, nor did my accuracy seem significantly different with the 9mm. Though I'm confident it isn't the bullet size but where you can put the bullet- I'd like to go to a .40 if I am getting similar hits.

My biggest concern with the subcompact line was probably the super small grip, only once did I really notice my hand not fitting right on the grip- just had to cinch it up a bit and no problems thereafter (and with the extended clip on the XD it extends the grip nicely).

Unless my results change significantly next time I hit the range the XD-9 is sure looking like a good buy. Two things would draw me to the Glock still though. Personally, I know people say Glocks aren't anything to look at but I'd disagree- the Glock has a much higher "hotness" factor. And the proven reliability of the Glock. But I'm also a tinker-type and would not mind regular cleaning/etc. Neither of those are enough by themselves but I guess we'll see next time I hit the range.

I think I have narrowed down pretty well. Though there are some others I'd like to look into, I still have a dream about the five-seveN, the Steyr MA1, and many others- it seems for my first buy a simple, very convenient CCW that I can test out a lot to know is a good fit- seems like a good choice. If I want to get a little fancier, go bigger at the risk of harder CCW, seems like good logic to do so once I know I have a reliable weapon I would stake my life on.
  2. hangemhigh1129

hangemhigh1129 New Member

b sure to check out the several other polymer options available. I know several dissatisfied xd owners. I don't much care for the glock, either. My choice for a polymer pistol is the m&p. it shoots well, feels good in my very large hands, and also in my sergeant's very small hands. reasonably priced, and very rugged. i guess sig has a new 'modular system" in the p250. but i would definitely stay away from ruger autos, and sigma's.
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

What about the XD are they dissatisfied with?
  4. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

I have the XD40 and have no complaints, never a jam, always shoots true...excellant pistol
  5. troutwest66

troutwest66 New Member

Like Hangemhigh said take a look at the M&P. I think the .40 recoils less than the 9mm. THe 9mm is a sharper, more harsh recoil and the .40 is more like the .45. The M&P would be my second choice behind my 1911. If I wasn't such a 1911 fan an M&P would be on my hip right now. I've shot it. stripped it and cleaned it and I was impressed. A friend of ours (female) bought one last spring and I helped her pick it out. She looked at Glocks, XDs and the M&P. We went and shot some GLocks and one of us (indluding my then 10 yr. old daughter) liked the Glocks. They just don't feel good in my hand. Our police dept. here in Post Falls is getting M&P40s soon. Smith & Wesson is trading them straight across for their model 99s. I have not shot an XD but I would like to. Clint Smith (of Thunder Ranch) bought several after he reviewd them for American Handgunner. As you all know Clint is a former Gunsite employee and a hardcore 1911 guy. Whichever of these polymer guns you buy you'll be well armed but try them all before buying.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  6. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I'll take a look at the M&P, though it is a little pricey (unless I'm seeing bad prices). Not extravagant, but more than a Glock or XD-9, I know I would be satisfied with a Glock, XD with a few more shoots I think I will be similarly confident.

When I say I shot the XD better it wasn't much. With both the Glock and XD my first several shots were 1-hit headers, rapid fire I missed a tad more with the Glock than I did with the XD. Though I have been shooting pistols since I was 13, not very often so I'm not like worried about my accuracy with the Glock- I intend to shoot often so...

Also the XD didn't really feel any better than the Glock, it was solely my accuracy was a tad better.

Sorry if that got confusing. What I'm trying to say is I still really like the Glock and know I would be happy with it. I will probably shoot the M&P since rental is only $5 at the local range- but I don't expect my market to really grow beyond the Glock or XD at this point since I am satisfied with both- though I do intend to put more time behind an XD since I have only shot it the once.

EDIT: Just checked the local gun shop and the M&P isn't more, I guess I will have to give it some more look.
  7. troutwest66

troutwest66 New Member

James,

since you're in Spokane try White Elephant. Black Sheep in Coeur d'Alene had an M&P new for $419 last summer. As far as I know those two are owned by the same folks. Hit the Spokane gunshow. The next one might be in April, could be one sooner. I wouldn't pay more than $450-$480 for the M&P40. Sportsman's Wharehouse is too high on their gun prices unless they have a special or something.
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I will have to check there, one of my roomates actually knows the family that owns the White Elephant. I am looking forward to the next show, but I intend to buy before then. Unfortunately I missed one in January. I actually worked one over the summer, setting up and tearing down for the company that put it on- top class company, very well done.

Never been to the Sportsman's Warehouse, was looking at the Sharpshooter Inc, where I went to shoot. Though the "bad" prices I got was just MSRP from S & W website.
  9. troutwest66

troutwest66 New Member

I want to get an M&P for the wife. Another thing I really like about the M&P is the interchangeable backstrap of the grip. I think it could be made to fit any adult hand and smaller with the three included grip panels. Wish we had one now you could come over to our range at Fernan and try it out. I've heard the Sharpshooter ads on the radio. Is it a classy outfit? I heard it on 105.7 while listening to BOB & TOM otherwise not my kind of station. Where in Spokane are you living? Being in Post Falls is "almost" :rolleyes: a suburb of the valley. I fuel up at the Flying-J at Pleasant View a lot since I drive an older Ford diesel. Take Care.
  10. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I'm pretty far north, a little past Wandermere if you know that area, probably 40 minutes south of Elk? Basically right on the edge of civilization, I always say, drive until the street lights stop, and then drive a little farther. =P

I really liked it. I am always worried I will hate ranges since the majority of my shooting is at my dads range and we get to walk onto a private field, he'll run me through the department qualifications and then we get to basically just screw around. I haven't shot with the tracks to move the targets up/down before so (though common I think) that was nice. The few times I have shot at a standard field it drives me crazy waiting for the slow people to stop shooting before we can go get our targets etc. etc.

They balanced safety and a good experience.

I think I've been to the falls. I was out that way for a Dick Cheney event, I did an interview with what was supposed to be this great marketing firm- ended up being door-to-door sales (I think we went to Post Falls) and then I also work temp jobs sometimes and did some work with Core-Mark, a trucking company that supplies gas stations, probably took me through Post Falls but I don't think we did any stops.