Shot buffer in centerfire cartridges

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LeatherneckOIF2, Feb 15, 2005.

1. LeatherneckOIF2

LeatherneckOIF2 New Member

Has anyone ever used shot buffer as a filler in centerfire cartridges? What does it do/ benefits does it have? Any downsides?
    Thanks
    Semper Fi
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Jarhead, I do believe that the shot buffer is a plastic type buffer. Think about it, add heat and you have a plastic coated barrel. Most people use corn meal, won't coat the barrel. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi
  3. LeatherneckOIF2

LeatherneckOIF2 New Member

That's what I thought too, but Midway is advertising it for centerfire loads too. I wonder where they got that?
    Thanks
  4. Icon-oclast

Icon-oclast New Member

Back in the "old days" - say up to 1965 or so, some advocated using a filler of some sort on top of light loads of powder to keep the powder located near the flash hole. The materials included kapok fiber, corn meal, cream of wheat, undoubtedly others I've forgotten. For everyone who advocated this, there was another speaking of residues or unexpected pressure excursions, etc. I honestly do not know which camp is correct - and likely both are under different circumstances. I *do* know, however, that choosing a powder appropriate to the cartridge volume / projectile weight makes it a moot issue. The problem arises when people attempt to create loads greatly outside the norm for a given cartridge, e.g. loading a .300 Mag to .30 Rem power levels.
  5. Dan70

Dan70 Member

Here are a couple articles I've found on the subject.
    Surplus Rifle cast filler
    Beartooth Bullets
    Seems that for every person who says no problem there is at least one who says no way. Everything I've read did say cast bullets only.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Back in the 70's and early 80's, Remington came out with a "shot buffer" called GREX. It was mixed in with the shot to help keep shot deformity to a minimum. It was made of plastic. I used to reload about 5,000 12 guage shotshells during the hunting season and about twice that during skeet shooting season.