shot my deer with ar-15

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by shotgunsal, Jan 21, 2006.

1. shotgunsal

shotgunsal New Member

hi, I shot my deer with my ar 15 colt hb . some man saw me do it and blew his mind. first because he don,t believe women can hunt and never saw anyone hunt with a ar before . i made a believer out of him . he stood and watched me clean the deer and drag it out . he offered to help but he had a bad heart and i didn,t want that on my hands. I loved blowing his mind anyway. I love the gun because it funtions so nice and never fails
  2. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

I have often wondered if my AR would drop a deer. I have put down Groundhogs, Coyotes and an occasional Crow with mine but never shot at anything larger. I've always been told its not enough gun for deer. What kind of ammo were you using?
  3. Toney

Toney Member

My wife helps with my deer to, scince i've come down with the really bad diebetes she won,t let me go alone, this rear she's really gotten into it. I think next year she will get one.
  4. shotgunsal

shotgunsal New Member

My husband reloads for me. I was useing nosler partition .224 cal 60 grain spitzer .This bullet has excellent controled expansion. The .223 will work fine on deer if the shooter is a good shot.There are many better cal. but if you do your part ,this cal. will work.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Ladies are just as capable as men are.
    You just don’t see that many of them doing it.
    Good for you.

It’s the shot placement that counts.
    Although .223 is not legal to use on deer here.
  6. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Go tell that to ex President Clinton or Sen. Kerry who said no one hunts with that type of rifle. i have friends and myself who uses SKSs for Hog hunting.I do not have a AR15 yet but when I do buy one I will try it out next deer season.
  7. shotgunsal

shotgunsal New Member

ex presedent Clinton and Kerry are in my book big no nothings.
  8. shotgunsal

shotgunsal New Member

thats not exzactly what i wanted to say about clinton and kerry but my mom told me not to use such language sure you can read my mind.
  9. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I think we all feel the same way about them.
  10. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Good job Sal! We're proud to have you amongst us. I have buddies who hunt hogs w/ AR's. It is ALL about shot placement. Just have to ask...Who's the venison chef @ your house? ;)
  11. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

A friend of mine swears by the AR for anything on legs. I know he's shot enough pigs and deer with his to prove it. Not shure I'd go after a moose or anything terribly large and unfriendly; but, appears to kill soft-skin with great success.
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

How big was the buck?
  13. shotgunsal

shotgunsal New Member

It was 140 pound doe good eating. I,m chief cook and bottle washer too.I agree . Wouldn,t want to go after bear or moose with my ar-15 but maybe if i could afford to by a 308 .. I,m looking / hubby says we have enough guns now.[ thats only until he sees one he wants right?]I picked up a contender with 22 barrel in great shape yesterday just to play with Got a good deal I think $125 Going to teach grandaughter to shoot.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  14. troutwest66

troutwest66 New Member

You want to have some fun with the Contender? Get a super 14 barrel in .44 mag and have it re-chambered for the .444 Marlin. My dad has one (all of his buddies did, too), and he can shoot the heck out of it! You can load 180s, 240s and 300s in it and do some damage. When I can afford to get one I'll shoot 240s or 265s (perhaps the new Hornady bullets for lever guns will be available). You can also use shot capsules with an external choke and with size 7 shot equal a 20 gauge load. Rolls grouse at 35 yards with no problem! :cool:
  15. SavageEMT

SavageEMT New Member

Nice work! I wish someone else in my family had firearms and was into hunting. I've thought about picking up a Rock River AR. There's just something classy about the M4 platform. Glad to see that someone's putting them to practical use!

Kudos!