Shot my first hand loads.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by glock man, May 11, 2009.

1. glock man

glock man New Member

This past weekend I shot my first hand loads. I pleased to report that me and my weapon are still in one piece. However every single bullet went several inches to the left and a little high. I loaded up 223 Remington. The bullets were Sierra Match King 69 grain HPBT, the shell casings were Winchester, the primers were CCI, and the powder was Varget. I loaded 15 rounds all together. The first 5 were at the minimum charge of 24 grains, the next set of 5 was loaded at 24.5 grains, and the last set of 5 was loaded at 25 grains. The max load recommended was 26 grains according to the Hodgdon website.
    The rifle was a Double Star AR 15 with a 20 inch barrel 1-9" twist rate.
    I was shooting at 100 yards with an Trijicon ACOG scope wich when I shot 20 factory rounds through it first was on target but about 1 to 2 inches high.
    I am open to suggestions on how to fix the problem.
  2. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I am not a reloader, nor do I play one in real life-- hope to one day. Anyhow, I could be dead wrong here but I don't believe your problem to be the ammo. If the gun shoots high with all ammo, I question the setting on the scope. To the left?? I don't believe that to be ammo related either. Kind of a good news bad news thing. Good news its not the ammo, I think. Way more knowledgeable people will be along soon. Good luck.:D
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Shooting high is normally caused by a slower round than the gun was sighted in for. Since the bullet is slower, it stays in the barrel longer, so that the muzzle is higher in recoil when it exits.

It does not matter if your loads shoot high and left. That's what adjustable sights are for. As long as they shoot into a tight group, just move your sights so that point-of-impact matches point-of-aim and enjoy.
  4. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Glad to hear of your success on your first handloads...nothing has been more exciting then to put together the rounds that I will be shooting at the range. Enjoy and be safe.
  5. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Like the rest dont think it is a problem with your ammo. Try a few more and see what happens. If they are still high and to the left adjust your scope. Ask your self are these the rounds you are gonna shoot all the time? as long as they are hitting in a group you are on the right track. maybe your scope got bumped in between shootings? Just a thought. welcome to the wonderful (and expensive) world of reloading.I have found very few things as satisfying as reloading my own ammo.
  6. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

Every load is its own. To match the impact of a certain brand, etc., you'll have to use a load very similar to what you are sighted for. Mainly velocitiy. That can be nice to do, so you can go back and forth between loads without sight adjustment, but its not always easy to do. Best to work up a load that shoots good, and stick with it. (note the adjustment needed for various loads off of a "base" load to make it easier to adjust for various loads, if you plan on using different loads.) Just keep playing around and see what the rifle likes (powders, amounts of powder, bullet styles, weights, etc.). Every little thing will have different results.
  7. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Gotta agree here and with Lotsdragon. You didn't mention how well your shots grouped which is the determination of precision. Precision is what you get from reloading for rifle by carefully matching the load to your particular rifle rather than having to rely on something made for general use.

The accuracy, where your group is on the target, is determined by your sighting system and your technique. There are exceptions such as verticle stringing which can be a hot barrel or poor bedding, etc.

I'm not an AR shooter but isn't 69 grs more for a 5.56 that a 223? What is the rate of twist in your barrel? You may not be able to stabilize a heaver bullet and that can cause accuracy problems. :D
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

bullet weight is what I was going to touch on olmossbak, I have a bushmaster A2 target with a heavy 1-9 twist barrel and it would sling anything heavier than 62 gr. to the left of point of aim. I found the most precise bullet weight for that twist rate in .223 is in the 50 to 60 gr. range. Mine preferrs the 52 gr. Barnes X for hunting and the 55 gr. V-max for targets and varmints. With the right combination it could be a sub moa gun. Mine will shoot .75" on a good day with both loads, although it does a little better with the varmint loads;)