Shot my mouth off, figuratively, of course

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by John Y., Jul 26, 2005.

1. John Y.

John Y. New Member

Okay,

I picked up a Smith & Wesson 686.

A friend, who is unfamiliar with guns is looking at my collection. I have a .22lr semi-auto and a 1911 as well.

We're talking about how guns in real life are misrepresented in tv shows and movies. A lot of the filmed shoot outs in Hollywood are truly fiction.

I began talking about how powerful guns were. I told him that people don't go flying backwards when shot and cars don't blow up. I did say that a car door would offer very little to no protection at all.

I then went on to say that the .357 magnum was so powerful would stop a car because the bullet could enter the engine block and sieze things up.

After I said that, I thought, "crap, I don't know if that's true as I haven't shot a motor before. Perhaps that's true for the .44 magnum. Maybe a .50 AE."

Okay, guys, back me up or was that statement full of BS.

Thanks,

Johnny.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

If you luck out and hit a valve cover, you might have a chance. With expanding bullets, no chance of getting through the block. I've shot engines with the 30-06 at less than 30 yards and GI hardball (not AP) and not all the rounds did enough damage to bother the engine. The trucks did shut down pretty quickly, however, as I figured out where the batteries were and concentrated on them. :D

Pops
  3. John Y.

John Y. New Member

Will a .357 stop a bear?
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Where are you gonna shoot the bear? In the block, likely not; in the computer, ABSOLUTELY!
    Applies to many other targets, as well.
  5. AGB

AGB New Member

All,

As for stopping a car engine, there is really a urban legend about it. But I can offer some 2 cents on the subject. Some long years back, I was just a 12 year old kid and my father was still alive, he worked in the army, but was just a civil employee. He had a good fellow that was a sargeant. We use to go to a property we had, and we use to shoot there togheter. The guy used a SW 9mm as side arm and had another gun, a SW 4 inch barreled revolver in .357magnum. He told me that he used it as both the back up gun and a gun for some special pourposes. He told us that he was from times to times into some special, investigation missions and that at one of these missoins he had to stop a car. The stopped car was a VW passat, had a small 1.5 liter 4 banger water cooled engine, much like the ones found on any jetta, golf or rabbit. He hit it by the passenger side, the engine did not explode, the car did not turned over or stopped imediatelly, but it was no longer able to continue the evasive action and decelerated and stopped some time later and a lot of steam/smoke was seen under the hood, going out mainly from the front grille. He showed us a weid ammo, it has a chromed brass, much like any winchester ammo and the bullet itself was painted with some kind of a shinny light green enamel. He told also it was imported ammo, it was sorta expensive and it was meant to be used in this situation. He also told it was specifically made as a piercing ammo, and that the bullet was made from a very hard metal, and no futher explanation or details about it. Since the guy was like a close friend of my father and there was no bs in there, I may assume it was true. No need to be different. Personally I have shoot some brake rotors at 100 yards using a ruger model 77 in 30-06 springfield, using Lapua match ammo, and it had absolutelly no difficulty in punching some very round and sharp holes in the rotor, and as long as a brake rotor wall is up the same thickness as the outer wall of an engine block, I have reason enough to believe that a well placed shoot in the side of an automotive engine should put it out of order enough not to be able to continue running, and makes me completely sure that, if any automotive engine or even a bigger diesel engine gets a well placed shoot out of a 30-06 with pierce ammo it will be instantely turned into a big piece of junk. Someday I'll pick a junk engine block, bigger like a L6 chevy or an spoiled V8 block and shoot it to see what goes on.
  6. shadow

shadow New Member

Nothing will stop a car except a law or something like that. Doors over very little cover, the best cover is behind the tyres of the car. There are plenty of Tv myths, you may want to have a look at Thompson-LaGard cattle shooting where they test calibres on cattle and measure wound canal. In terms of damage, wound canal, the 357 outperforms the 44 mag, yet the 44 offers foot per pounds.

The most penetrative rounds are called THV, (french designed) and weigh 47grains in 9mmp, and in 45acp I beleive they are about 60grains.

Needs to be loaded up with shotgun power( as it burms quicker than pistol powder) and must use magnum primers.

This will penetrate the second chance body armour with the plate. Being the other side of the pond, I am not sure whether you are restricted in purchasing it.

You can also buy them in South Africa, as they will be cheaper than buying them in Europe.

http://www.rcbs.com/default.asp?pg=7
    look for city guns, they seem to be the cheapest.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

I believe that folks think in terms of the bullet passing through the engine-that is not the case. Here in Texas, there are confirmed DPS shootings of cars and stops. Many-many moons ago, there was a 45acp bullet of 250FMJ grains designed just for that purpose and it worked. Also on the DPS road blocks you will now see the 12ga used for this purpose and a few years back there was a picture in the paper (forget which one-picture of DPS at the very moment he fired the round) of this very issue. Car was shot just behind the drivers side front tire, this car had run over treadspikes and was still going. After being shot, it traveled about one half mile and seized up. The mission of the bullet is not to enter the engine block, but to crack it.......the loss of water and oil on a hot engine is quickly causes it to seize.......although with the newer copper solids in 12ga, pentetration is there too. There are many places under the hood that will disable any car without hitting the block.

LTS
  8. shadow

shadow New Member

Hi Liketoshoot,

What does DPS stand for?
  9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Department of Public Safety = State Police, State Highway Patrol, etc.