Shot myself yesterday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ruger.44, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Ruger.44

Ruger.44 New Member

Yep, you read that right, I shot myself.

It happened like this...

I just came to inherit my grandfathers LLama Micromax .380. I always admired this piece for it's easy concealability and light weight. So, I loaded it up and packed it in the car.

Later that day...

I'm sitting there in my car, waiting for a client to show up with the rest of my money ( I just finished building a deck for him). I had the weapon between my seat and the center console of my car. I keep it on half cock to reduce the risk of a "drop fire" and have the safety on. I reached down with my right hand to remove it and place it in the glove box ( so that my client didn't see it and get wierded out). I gripped it by the slide, with the web of my thumb and forefinger over the hammer. As I lifted it from its perch, it discharged, striking me in the left thigh about 6 inches below the groin, exiting from the rear, about 12 inches below my buttock, and embedding itself in the door of my ride, leaving a tell tail lump on the door skin.

A futher investigation showed that the safety failed.

I have handled this weapon hundreds of times. I knew it hadn't been fired in a couple of years. I DIDN"T DO A FUNCTION CHECK!!!

I have many years of experience and alot of instructor time. Maybe too much. I became complacent and then I got hurt.

As a copuple of side notes:

In and out, no bone strike or vessel damage. I should be back to work in a week or so.

I was loaded with Winchester Silver Tips. Don't use these. There was absolutely no expansion after passing through 14" of solid flesh. Not that I'm complaining but, If I was being attacked, and received the same injury, I was more than capable of returning fire. Fact is, I'm not even taking any pain medication. It feels like a bruise.

Moral:

Always check your wepon's function before you carry it.

Jim
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

A silvertip not expanding ?? hmmm...

mike
    gn
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

First of all: I'm glad you're (mostly) ok!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It's a pointed reminder that we must NEVER become complacent.

BTW - what was your client's reaction?
  4. Ruger.44

Ruger.44 New Member

My client's reaction?

He didn't really notice at first. I was seated in my car on the cell with 9-1-1 and he kinda waved and walked by. After I got his attention and gave him my phone, he sorta freaked out. I was most concerned with controlling bleeding and getting the weapon cleared, as I didn't know why it discharged, only that it was malfunctioning and dangerous to everyone around it. I lost a lot of blood in the first minute, before getting the bleeding under control so, I was starting to fade into shock and tunnel vision. He wasn't medically trained and didn't really know how to help, aside from talking to the emergency operator.

On the bright side, I told him his bill was in the passenger seat of my car. He took it and wrote me a check right there.

I hope I don't have to shoot myself evertime someone owes me money :( .

Jim
  5. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Glad to hear the damage wasn't more serious. Take it easy and keep it clean. Get better soon!

My son did something similar with a .25 Colt Jr. Auto last year except the round went thru the the front of his thigh and came out of the side about 8 inches away.

Same for him, no pain killers just hurt like a bad bruise.

I now have a copper dot in the wooden floor of my living room, but I'm glad he is all healed & fine now.
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Ruger44
    you are lucky and we are glad you will be OK.
    The worst part of shooting your self is nobody will let you live it down :rolleyes: I had an accidental discharge of a POS 22 auto while trying to remove a live round, dang bullet ricocheted off my wedding band and through the meat of my little finger. the local sheriffs deputy's made dang sure that everyone in the county knew about it. They still pick on me about it :eek: :( :D :D ;)
    By the way the sliver tip would have expanded had it hit something a little more then just an old meaty thigh :D :D ;)
  7. lead

lead Active Member

I'm glad you're okay. I've met two people who had similar experiences and both were in law enforcement and had the same story about being complacent. It's a sobering reminder for us all.
    Two morals her actually, never let yourself get complacent about carrying a loaded firearm, and don't carry Llama's.
  8. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

and don't carry Llama's.
    your right Lead
    they will spit on you :rolleyes: ;)
  9. Country101

Country101 Active Member

10. gunfreakboy

gunfreakboy New Member

Good thing you didn't change yourself from a rooster to a hen.
  11. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Wow, sorry to hear about this. I guess those safety rules are worth something after all. Even with a malfunction, if you hadn't been pointing it at yourself (even for a split second) it wouldn't have shot you.

Glad to hear you're mostly OK, and I hope everyone that hears your story learns from it.
  12. Ruger.44

Ruger.44 New Member

I'm hearing you, Sniper.

As I've said before, I caused this. I failed myself before the weapon failed me. I do hope that everyone that reads this takes a good close look at how they handle their firearms.

That's kinda why I brought it here. Most people wouldn't want to go throgh the humiliation of admitting they did something that stupid but, I had the pleasure of being wheeled into a trauma room in the E.R. and have my pants cut off of me, while going "Commando" :eek: in the undergarment department. That was the end of any humility I had left.

On a most serious note, I know that I have crossed the barrel of my own firearm many times. I didn't realize it then but, thinking back, I'm sure of it. Likewise, I was taught to carry on half cock by my old DS in the Army. Bad, bad advice. He said it would prevent a "drop fire". My next mistake was treating this Llama like a colt 1911a1. It is not! It might look like a mini 1911 but, a close examination of the manual, along with the manual for my MkIV Series 80, my Kimber manual, and a couple of internet resources, showed that there are major differences in the internal mechanics. I will never take these things for granted again.

I became too complacent and got bit.
    Speaking of bit, I keep getting these lectures from people about how " That should teach you not to own guns!!"

WTF, like I need to hear about how guns kill people. I'm VERY aware of what can happen when a gun goes off and it's pointed at you. Fact is, I got into a car accident last year but I still drive. I stubbed my toe and broke it 6 months ago but I still walk! My biggest fear at this point is that people will use my situation as a piece against firearms ownership instead of a tool to teach safety.

Jim
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, however, I am glad you came out well.

I did not want to say anything before this, but a half cock notch IS NOT A SAFETY per say. It is there to catch the hammer in case of a hammer drop due to a sear engagement problem. Plain and simple. An automatic should never be carried with the hammer in this position. I would tend to bet that if you have the weapon fully cocked and locked, the saftey would have saved your accident. Also if the hammer were down.

Again, glad you are well.
  14. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Do you mind if I share your story elsewhere (on gun forums) as a safety reminder? I'll keep it as an anonymous "acquaintance", of course. I just think this is a great example of how something so seemingly routine can change your life. Everyone stresses gun safety at the range or when cleaning. But this is one of those types of stories that happened in an environment where you least expect it, for seemingly no reason (not one that anyone would expect, anyway). It's a good reminder to people that firearms should always be treated the same, no matter what the situation, and I'd like to use it as an example if you wouldn't mind.
  15. Ruger.44

Ruger.44 New Member

By all means, Sniper. If this lesson can save someone the experience I have, go for it.

In regards to the half cock, I'm not sure exactlly why it discharged, though, unloaded and fully cocked, safety on, when I pull the trigger, the safety rotates down and the hammer falls. It doesn't require a great deal of presure to make it go. I figure that when I grabbed it, I must have put enough force on the half cocked hammer to release it from the sear. I haven't gone any farther than this but, I am willing to bet that when my smith gets a look at it, he'll find the sears to be a bit rounded.

Just to reiterate the point, I would have found it if I did a function check. (I'll stop beating my head against this wall when the headache is worse than the pain in my leg.)
  16. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Ruger, I bet you wish you'd listened to your mamma a little more when she told you to always wear clean underwear in case you got in an accident, huh? :D :D :D
  17. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Jim, I'm sure glad you shared this with us, I am planning on taking a few of my family members to the shooting club in a few weeks and I am already dreading the "safety instructions" that I know will come bubbling out of my mouth in the direction of those with little to no firearm training, the thing is I dont want people to look back on our rare time together and all they remember is me and my mouth, but your story is a nice reminder that safety should be first no matter what...I'm sure I will think of tactfull ways to be bossy. :D
  18. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Ruger, I'm glad you're OK. I'm also glad that you shared your story with everyone on this forum. You can never be too careful with any firearm.

Get well.
  19. Carl S

Carl S New Member

Wow, Jim; you were blessed. That could have been a whole lot worse. I appreciate your sharing the story. We all have gotten complacent at one time or another and we all have mishandled a firearm. Most of us were lucky that there were no bad results.
  20. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Now there's a way to collect money owed.... :eek:

Glad you are ok. I should have said that up front. Sorry.

mike
    gn