shot spread at long distances looks like a doughnut

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

dksdks
    (9/16/02 12:04:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All shot spread at long distances looks like a doughnut
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I patterned my shotgun with a 28g size 6 shot I was using for shooting high flying birds in very hot weather with Full Choke. At a distance of ~ 60 meters, 65yds, the spread was really nice but there was a circular gap in the middle, about the size of a big orange that only had one pellet in it. Cosidering that the birds I am trying to shoot are at around that distance I was worried. Is this spread normal?
    Should I use a higher load 32 or 36g?
    Should I use a looser choke?

Any help will be appreciated

Edited by: dksdks at: 9/16/02 3:05:58 pm

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/16/02 1:52:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: shot spread at long distances looks like a doughnut
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Did you say 180 yards? Something is wrong. You would be lucky to have 1 pellet in a 30 inch circle at 180 yards or 80 yards.

What kind of birds are you going to shoot? Lead shot has 225 pellets in 1 oz of #6 shot.

The 28 is usually used for small birds like quail,grouse and dove at ranges closer than 50 yards.

The closer the birds are the more open choke used (skeet). The farther away they are the tighter choke used (full).

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/16/02 1:57:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: shot spread at long distances looks like a doughnut
    HOLY COW BATMAN!!!! What`s the drop????
    I may need to get one ov dim.....

dksdks
    (9/16/02 2:16:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: shot spread at long distances looks like a doughnut
    as corrected in the edited version I meant 180 feet or ~ 60 yds.

The birds are about quail size and fly high so as to eat insects and avoid getting shot (figure that out).

They generally fly quite high, so that they are barely visible (I wish I could hit them at 180 yds!!) and only come close to the ground, 20yds, a couple of times a day. So most of the day is spend shooting, not very succesfully, at the sky. I use full and Imp mod. chokes on the gun.
    I try to shoot them when they are up to 70yds. I am using size 6 shot so as to maintain a decent momentum at that height and 28 to 32g loads so as to compensate for the high temperatures.

JackRyann
    (9/17/02 4:41:23 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Shot stream not spread
    I think if you stand behind shooters at a trap range you will notice you can see the shot stream. Once you learn to see it you will notice the shot stream looks more like a short burst form the garden hose than the spread of a bucket tossed from the roof.

Recognition of this if you agree should greatly increase your success rate.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/17/02 6:59:36 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Shot stream not spread
    At that range you need a full choke and possibly 5 or 4 shot.
    Edited by: warpig883 at: 9/17/02 8:00:48 am

dksdks
    (9/17/02 10:54:29 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Shot stream not spread
    I do not get the hose pipe analogy.
    Do you mean there is supposed to be a hole in the middle?
    I will try going to 4 or 5 shot and increasing the load to 36+. My gun is proofed to 1370 BAR so the load should not cause a problem ( apart from increased kick).
    The only problem is that you look like an idiot shooting small game with near Magnum, expensive, loads.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/17/02 3:11:47 pm)
    I believe the problem is "TLG". LTS

dksdks
    (9/17/02 3:23:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del acronyms game
    if you think is tlg then you should get more tlc.

"Its not how well you shoot its how much noise your gun makes" I say.

If anyone knows any sites that have pictures of how shot spreads look at various distances with various Choke sizes let me know.

Many thanks

Edited by: dksdks at: 9/17/02 4:34:09 pm

JackRyann
    (9/18/02 2:13:39 am)
    The best thing is to try shooting some of the clay sports. Shooting clays will prolly come closest to simulating your senario.

It's the reason expirienced trap shooter will tell you to always "error" on the lead side of the bird. People think if the pull the trigger in range, based on the size of the "spread" they should break the bird but the fact is if you are shooting behind the clay it will never break no matter what the size of the spread.

The pattern of the shot is more like a squirt and the bird must be in it or fly into the shot stream. When you stand behind shooters who are shooting to the same general area you can learn to see the shot stream and the concept becomes obvious. The best and quickest way to "get it" is to go to a local trap club when they are shooting. Talk to someone involve there I'm sure they will be happy to show you what I'm prolly doing a poor job of explaining.

On still birds like when turkey hunting the apparent "hole" you are seeing when patterning your gun on paper becomes more of an issue.
    Kill it and Grill, yeah! I love animals. They're tasty!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/18/02 6:33:48 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Shot stream not spread
    No there is not "supposed to be a hole in the middle" I was only saying to use a full choke because of the long range. The full choke will hold the pattern together at longer ranges that a skeet or improved cylinder choke. That is why Turkey hunters use the extra full, they want all the pellets in a small area. If you were to use an open choke it starts the pattern spreading out right away and by the time it gets to your bird there will be huge holes in it.