shotgun barrel "

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by whitefeather, May 19, 2003.

1. whitefeather

whitefeather New Member

Hey, I'm new. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew the law on short barrel shotguns? Are there any kind of restrictions on them (does it vary by state)?
    :confused:
  2. warpig

warpig Guest

18 inches is as short as can be, most people cut them off no shorter than 18 1/2 to play it safe. That is federal law. South Dakota has a state law that says the same thing.

I don't know about other states but places like California might have a 25 or 30 inch limit:rolleyes:

welcome to TFF
  3. whitefeather

whitefeather New Member

Thanks...well the reason I am asking is because I was looking to get a short barrel shotgun for home defense ( and use non lethal ammo...until I get my own place :D)

I took a liking to the benelli M1 entry (14" barrel) but it says only for law enforcement or to holders of a special tax stamp (can anyone acquire a tax stamp?)
  4. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

It's legal if...

...your state's laws permit it and you meet the federal requirements. Short barreled shotguns and rifles may be purchased on the "Form 4" which requires an individual to jump through some hoops but it is doable.

I know several non-LEOs who have successfully navigated the proccess and they report that the ATF agents are generally helpful and courteous.

Check the ATF Online website for FAQs and more info than you thought you needed.
  5. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Well now!...

Welcome to ya whitefeather!!!...What ya wanna go less than 18"...fer?...;)
  6. whitefeather

whitefeather New Member

Well some of the doorways and hallways aren't to wide in my house...thats why I figured a short barrel would be best. My brother in law tells me just to get a 18.5 inch barrel and get a short stock.

I was reading up on the steps to get a automatic (most of the same restrictions apply) and it sounds like a big inconvience. Besides that you have to pay 200 and wait for everything to be approved before you take possession which can take months.

Kinda starting to think twice about it...maybe i will just get a handgun and shoot simunitions :D
  7. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Welcome Whitefeather, 18 inches and a folding stock or a pistol grip would give you the desired results I think, and 18" is Federal I learned that the hard way a long time ago. Charges were reduced lucky for me.:D
  8. dirtyjap

dirtyjap New Member

What would the rules be for concealed carry of a 14" shotgun.Kinda like Chuck's rig in Hitman
  9. dirtyjap

dirtyjap New Member

Assuming that you had the proper papers for ownership and concealed carry
  10. whitefeather

whitefeather New Member

Hell thats a good question...i know as far as your vehicle goes...Lousisana (where I am from) sees your car as an extension of your home... so they have no law coving firearms inside motor vehicles. Since there is no law anyone who can legally possess a firearm can carry a loaded firearm inside a vehicle.

But as far as walking around with it...got me...might have to go see if i can find some info on it.