Shotgun Conversion to BlackPowder

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/24/02 8:31:43 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Blackpowder Shoygun conversion question???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A while back I saw a conversion barrel that you could mount into your existing rem 870 or mossberg 835 receiver to convert it into a single shot muzzleloader. I believe the " sportsman's Guide" might have sold a few a couple years ago.

Anyone have any experience with or knowledge about these units. Any info appreciated. swede
    Wyoming Swede

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/24/02 9:13:52 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Blackpowder Shoygun conversion question???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shoygun? Have another cuppa coffee Swede.

procrastinator43
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/24/02 1:27:01 pm)
    Mossberg has been making them for at least 7 years. I never owned one but did buy a new 500 and it was listed with the accessories.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/25/02 6:56:43 pm)
    Thanks Guys...My one finger typing got me yet again. swede
    Wyoming Swede

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/3/02 7:25:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Blackpowder Shoygun conversion question???
    Swede -

Mossberg also makes a conversion barrel for their Model 500's. From what I have been able to find out about them, they are accurate, but they are also heavy. I have been told that most of the weight of the conversion barrel is in the front, making it muzzle heavy. Don't know if this would afect any shooting you do, but I shoot mostly offhand so anything muzzle heavy wouldn't be in my best interest.

My contribution to the discussion.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/8/02 9:16:01 am)
    Mossberg e-mailed me back...they only make them for their 500 series like you said...not the 835 Ulti that I have. I hve heard hastings make them for 870's . I have also heard if you use the pyrodex pellets that in line is the only way to go...is thst true? Does in-line present that much of an advantage???
    swede
    Wyoming Swede

Mauser45
    (12/19/02 12:30:07 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Blackpowder Shoygun conversion question???
    Wyoming, stick with an in-line ignition if you plan on using pyrodex, either the powder or the pellets. Pyrodex is harder to ignite than blackpowder and the primer needs the straight shot to the pyrodex to ensure consistent ignition. Also the inlines give you faster ignition than the old side hammer guns which gives you a faster "locktime".