Shotgun 'Fit'

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

berettagal
    (2/28/02 3:16:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Newbie with gun fit questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi, I'm a lurker who finally decided to register.

Can anyone give me some insight on how gun adjustments are measured? I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon shotgun that doesn't fit well. The LOP is 14.7 inches, and the drop at comb is 1.38 inches (I'm not that concerned with drop at heel). Not good for a petite woman. I keep reading that most guns are manufactured for the "average" person which is defined as a 5'9" male about 165 lbs. The prefered range for LOP is 13.25-13.50 inches and the drop at comb is 1.5-1.75 inches. Does this sound correct? Also, is there a rule of thumb on how to calculate the proper numbers for smaller framed inidividuals? One gunsmith wants the numbers from me, while another wants to use a try gun. Looking for information before I let someone mess with my gun. Thanks in advance.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/28/02 3:29:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Newbie with gun fit questions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome, before I muddle the water......what is this shotgun used for??? LTS

berettagal
    (2/28/02 4:13:22 pm)
    Thanks for the welcome.

It's a sporting model used mainly for skeet.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/28/02 4:18:55 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Newbie with gun fit questions
    Go for the one with the try gun. You'll be able to get a length of pull that is actually comfortable, plus any adjustment to the cant and toe can be made as well. There is far more to correct fit than length of pull.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/28/02 4:32:27 pm)
    Hi berettagal......and welcome to TFF.

"Feel" is a highly subjective thing....particularly in any sort of a competition gun. No matter what the "numbers" say, it's all a matter of how it feels to YOU when you use it.....does it come to sight naturally, does it swing well, does it balance for you. An ill-fitting gun can really punish you after a day's shooting....particularly for a petite female!

A skeet or trap gun isn't something you can buy by mail......you have to be fitted for it.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/28/02 6:58:47 pm)
    Dadburn provider.....lets me in where it wants to. Yep, everyone has pretty well covered the basics. I shoot different shotguns differently.....(boy that makes since?) What I`m saying is everyone`s different and shoots differently. For upland game where shots are close and fast, I prefer a short barrel and LOP....even though I`m tall. I get up on the shotgun, cheek weld to my thumb web in my hand.....face almost on the receiver, shooting trap or skeet....back on the stock (cheek) more relaxed and longer sighting plane, smoother sweep and follow through. Find a gunsmith who has adjustable stocks, for cant, drop, offset. When I used to shoot skeet, mine had a 1/8" shim on the right side of the stock/receiver junction, this little bit of ofset allowed me a solid shoulder mount AND allowed me to get a good cheek weld without being right on top of the gun. Good luck and bust one fer me! LTS

BlackGun
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/28/02 7:33:07 pm)
    Howdy and welcome aboard! We hope to see more of you!
    We buy guns! email us with what you have to offer!

BlackGUN

berettagal
    (2/28/02 9:46:15 pm)
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the helpful advice!

I spent the last 10 months get used to the gun and figured it was time for adjustments. Especially since it's typical for my cheek to be black and blue the day after shooting numerous rounds. Sometimes the stares are priceless. LOL.

If anyone has further suggestions, please don't hesitate to reply.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/28/02 10:15:22 pm)
    Pancake makeup.........

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/1/02 2:48:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Newbie with gun fit questions
    .... with maple syrple.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/1/02 8:48:57 am)
    Maple syrple? Is that purple maple syrup, Doc?

As you can see berettagal, you've now fallen in with a group of total nut cases!

Welcome Gal!

a81492
    (3/1/02 12:48:28 pm)
    Someboby say NUTZ ????

Howdy & welcome aboard. I'm a newby here myself & these folks are some of the friendliest. A finer bag o' nuts can't be found anywhere.

Beretta's are notorious for TDMW syndrome - Too Dang Much Wood. Also, off the rack they have waaaaaaay too much pitch angle on the butt. And, am assuming yer shootin' American style skeet with mounted gun here - reason i bring it up is 'cause a quick, snag-free, smooth mount ain't an issue here. For Sporting Clays of field use, it will be. The LOP of 13.5" sounds a bit much for petites, but every physique is different.

To easily & quickly address that PCS, (Purple Cheek Syndrome) a simple pitch adjustment will help tremendously. Most Smiths will disc sand it away, and it will also remove about a half inch or so from that already-long LOP.

Hope some o' dis helps. Take 2 @ low 8 !!!

best,
    joey

Edited by: a81492 at: 3/1/02 1:06:30 pm

berettagal
    (3/1/02 3:33:00 pm)
    OK, now you guys have me hungry for pancakes with blueberry syrup (with pecans, of course). LOL.

You're right about Beretta using too much wood. I feel like I'm lugging around a tree trunk. Thanks for the pitch suggestion. That Purple Cheek Syndrome has got to go.