Shotgun for home defense

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. vaskeet

vaskeet New Member

I use a stock remington 1100 skeet gun. No extended mags No pistol grip and No black paint. If I use it and have to go to trial I dont want some "evil assult weapon" shown to the jury I want the same shotgun that all their dad and granddads had in the closet. IE a hunting gun not assault weapon. modified assault guns are fine but I dont want to have my fate rest on the looks of the weapon Randy
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

so how bad it the kick on a 12 ga shotgun?
  3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not to bad if you only shoot a few. :)
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if going for utility.. a tactical light WOULD be a good idea if for home defense. laser too.. why not.. it's already got pic rails...
  5. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo New Member

Just finished building my Saiga, got a little carried away

Attached Files:

6. Blurr

Blurr Former Guest

No excessive fines or Imprisonment comes to mind
  7. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Just a simple 500 w/Pachmayr's
    or a T/C
    or a pair of Coachmen
    or my favorite.....my 'sawed-off' granddaughter !! :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. soundguy

one day I'm gonna have to get me one of those... time tested action.. good choice of chambering.

anyone ko=now if they come in 3" mag?
  9. K75RT

K75RT Member

Wow, this is an old thread! I have an Ithaca M37 that i did up by lengthening the forcing cone and porting the bbl. it is in an earlier post, it was then given a matte blue and is a sweet shooter. I also have a Remington 870 that has an 18"bbl and a Chicom Ithaca copy that has ghost-ring sights... One thing that is MOST IMPORTANT is to train, I've been on the range and seen folks short shuck the action and fail to feed and or eject.. this can be catastrophic under real conditions... practice, practice...
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

A little...jeez...don't go to court with that one.:rolleyes:
  11. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

I have been thinking about this. A shot gun for home defense is a great weapon for the ladies. All they have to do is take it off safety, point, and shoot. But, it would also be a great idea to have them go to the range and practice so that they could get used to the noise and be able to re-load effectively.

Personally, the shorter the weapon the better. My home quarters are cramped and swinging a shotgun might hamper the overall effect. A shot gun is great if you can get set to shoot it and do not have to swing it around as it may bump into something and thus, make you slow and clumsy.

I have practiced with many possible weapons and calibers. Today, my choice is between a .38 Special Revolver and a 9mm Auto. While I don't keep a round in the chamber of the 9mm auto it still requires a split second to cycle a round in the chamber and may be enough to put me in jeopardy. While the .38 Special has less follow up shots, it is faster to fire. And with a speed loader with practice I can quickly reload and put me back into action in a fire fight.

Small arms are great as long as we don't have to go up against the Police Force or the military that have control of much superior weapons in the case of an insurrection. Just look at what the Rebels are going up against in trying to over throw the Dictator of Syria.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  12. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

All of my loaded ones......stay chambered.
  13. soundguy

lately i have toyed with the idea of a pump 20 for the wife. 12 would break her arm.. so would 16.. but a 20.. especially if it was full stock but shortened ( not into nfa area ) bbl.. like a 'turkey gun' .. it would still have bass and weight and a good but pad.. so recoil would be an afterthought.. yet, with plug out, depending on model.. 3-5 shots... and the pump is easier to cycle than a bolt on a semi auto for a woman with small delicate hands... plus less chance of jambs!
  14. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

you could get her a youth gun in 20ga and put a nice recoil pad on it.
  15. soundguy

good idea!