shotgun for short arms?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by SouthernMoss, Sep 21, 2004.

1. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I attended a "Women on Target" program at a local gun club last weekend. (Really great program, btw.) One of the activities was shooting a shotgun at clays. I hit 5 out of 15, which I guess is not too bad for picking up a shotgun for the first time. :rolleyes: It was fun though, although I don't think I'll give up my .22 rifle any time soon. ;)

My problem was that the shotgun we were using was just too long for my short arms. I ended up with a bruise on my inner arm just below the shoulder because I couldn't keep the gun securely against my shoulder as I tried to follow the clays.

Any suggestions on what shotgun is best for vertically challenged people with short arms?
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Go to the nearest gunshop and check out the youth sized shotguns. Those have a shorter stock and may work for you.
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

You could also buy the shotgun you like and have the stock fitted to you, just a thought! :)
  4. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

A lot of the youth models are in 20ga, not sure if that is a good or bad thing for you. The Beretta 391(?) 20ga youth model is nice. Plano is right, you might save money buying a full size and cutting it down. Take off the recoil pad, masking tape the stock, cut to length, reattach pad and sand until its flush - not exactly pretty but it works. Going to a Smith or a shop with a try gun would be a help, you will get a better measurement than the ol' "crook of the elbow to tip of finger" measurement.
  5. punchie

punchie Member

Franchi AL48 youth/womens model in 20 ga should be just about perfect for you. Well balanced with the shorter stock and points well and is relatively light. Now go bust some clays!!!
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

5 out of 15 ain’t too bad for the first time out. At our match last weekend we had some “not so experienced” shooters that had to shoot a shotgun for their first time. Some of them were taking 10 -12 shots on 6 targets. The difference being,
    they were shooting at steel plates that did NOT move. ;) :D :D

If you are going to get a shotgun, having it “fitted” is the way to go. Hey, I still come home bruised sometimes from a long day of trap or skeet.
  7. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Beretta AL391 Urika Youth in 20ga or the Remington 1100 or 870 youth model. The guns are built lighter, with a shorter barrel and shorter buttstock.
  8. SouthernMoss

Thanks y'all for all the suggestions and encouragement! :)
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, y'all could start carrying around 20 lb. dumbells for weeks on end and see if'n ya can stretch into a new gun! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry SoMo, I just could not resist it! :eek: :eek: :eek:
  10. rosierita

rosierita New Member

heeheehee..... plano ~ you funny. :rolleyes: :D i'm short too somo! :rolleyes: & have the same problem. anyhoo ~ i've been shopping for the kids a rifle for christmas & i cannot remember the brand name of the gun, (i want to say it is a savage, but that may not be right) anyhoo ~ it is a youth gun, not too much longer than a bbgun! very cool little rifle! it's interchangable, you can switch barrels on it, changing it from a 22 to a 410!! :D there is one that changes from a 243 to something else..... i cant remember. i'm thisclose to buying this little rifle for them. (i have to buy 2 tho!! :D ) well, actually ~ i'm thinking by the time i get there, it may be 3. heehee.
  11. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

SoMo, If you run across a deal on a 12ga Remington 1100, I have a black synthetic youth stock and forearm you can have for shipping cost. Boys just growing up too fast! The buttstock will fit an 870 also.
  12. SouthernMoss

Thanks Trap!! I'll let you know if I decide to go that direction.
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Oh good, she's ignoring me! :D :D :D :D :D
  14. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Probably a good thing too Rick. Marlin says she can shoot. :D :D

Rosierita, N. American Firearms makes a youth sized .22/.410 combo and as I remember, available in .243 also. I sold quite a few of these and no problems were reported.

But it may be too short for you.
  15. SouthernMoss

[​IMG]
  16. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Whewww! Thank God she didn't notice! :D :D :D :D :D :D