Shotgun in the wall

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BeeFarm, Dec 31, 2009.

1. BeeFarm

BeeFarm New Member

In remodeling a very old house, I found a double barrel shotgun in the wall of the house. The gun was placed between two studs and has been there for a very long time. Yea, very surprised. On the gun I have found this: Patent 488366 DECB 20 1892 ECLIPSE HERCULES No. 6212:B COMRESSED STEEL BELGIUM ECLIPSE GUN Co. My question is how much is the gun worth? It is in very bad shape, but the owner of the house wants to sell it.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It may be worth twenty bucks or so as a novelty, complete with story. But it was a cheaply made shotgun when it was new, and age probably hasn't improved it any. "Compressed steel" sounds like another name for Damascus or laminated steel, made up of spiral wound strips or hammer welded plates. I strongly recommend against firing it with ANY ammunition. I suspect, though, that this may be a case where the owner thinks anything old is valuable; if so, simply suggest he take it to any gun shop or antique store and get an estimate of his own.

One way to use a gun like that is to render it unusable, then display it in a shadow box as a decoration, with a card saying where and how it was found.

Jim
  3. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I agree with Jim.

A nice "Wall Hanger", but little more.

It's human nature, and I'm no different, to assume Old=$$$.... tain't so.... :(
    ;)

Welcome to the forum:D