The Firearms Forum banner

shotgun opinion

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  ka64 
#1 ·
looked at ATI 12 ga 28" shotgun today what do you guys think about it?

#2 ·
Which one Beth, they make O/U, pump, and a semi-auto that I know of.

#5 ·
I don't shoot trap, so I can't really help you with this one. I know that an O/U shotgun is better that a side by side, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on shooting trap, or skeet. I do know that the 12 ga 2 3/4" has a bigger payload of shot than a 2 3/4" 20, thus making it easier to make the hits. But then you have to put up with the extra recoil, so I guess it's up to the individual. And I don't know much about ATI, but the SX is the bottom line gun. For hunting I would say go for it, you would never shoot enough shells thru it to hurt it, but skeet, and trap, are another story. Shooting either for very long will put a lot of shells thru a gun, and I don't know how they will stand up to that.

#7 ·
Some of the guys that know their stuff about skeet, and trap will be along tomorrow to give you some good advice. Wish I could help more.

#8 · (Edited)
Beth I shot trap or sporting clays every weekend. I use a BT-99 for trap. It is in 12 gauge with a 34" barrel. The BT-99 is a single shot with no safety. It is a dedicated trap only gun. Not much good for anything else. About 50% of the guys at my club use this gun.

For sporting clays I use a Ruger Red Label over under in 12 gauge. It has a 28" barrel and I used to shoot trap with it until I got the BT-99.

A good trap gun is going to start at $900 to $1000 used. If you plan on shooting every week I recommend spending the extra money. If you just want to shoot once in a whale you probably would be ok with a lesser gun.

Most of the girls shoot 20 gauge at my club. If you can handle a 12 gauge go with that. We shoot 100 rounds or 4 games on a weekend. After 50 rounds you will feel the recoil. Get a limbsaver. They really help.

The ATI looks to be Turkish import. Not sure on how good they are. Make sure you have some one that knows how to help you with fit. Any gun that doesn't fit you will be a problem.

Good luck. Trap is addictive.

#9 · (Edited)
For a serious shooter, nothing below 30"s. Sporting Clays or Skeet 28" is fine

Now that being said, you plan on being competetive?

My trap 16 -27 yard line- 34" & doubles 30" o/u's Trap set up.....

Skeet, Sporting Clays - 28"ers

Just plain fun at Sporting clays - 19"s of pure evil........

Now whatcha want to do with it is up to you, as far as Gauge goes, does a hundred rounds of target loads in 12 bother you?

If so go with 20.

#12 ·
12ga is a lot of gun Darlin'

The ATI [turkish] is well made in an over/under

I suggest a lesser gauge for you......and I know
you are tough.....I'm just sayin'.......

Shoot one first. One or two 12ga rounds are not
gonna be bad......
An afternoon of them.......I don't think will be
good for you. Not 12ga. Even short brass.

Try it though....you are tougher than most.

#14 ·
I can't pick a favorite because I'm not that good, but a lot of people shoot the Remington 1100 12 ga.
Some people just bring their guns to show them off. I can shoot the Webley and then a Stoeger and can't tell the difference
I guess what I'm saying is...until you get it down pat, shoot what you can afford and then as you get better get one you can hit with and show off at the same time.
The Webley is a good cheap shotgun but I like the Remington 1100 better.
The guns you're looking at are an O/U 410, O/U 20 ga. O/U 12 ga. and a 1100 auto.

Attachments

#15 ·
I can't pick a favorite because I'm not that good, but a lot of people shoot the Remington 1100 12 ga.
Some people just bring their guns to show them off. I can shoot the Webley and then a Stoeger and can't tell the difference
I guess what I'm saying is...until you get it down pat, shoot what you can afford and then as you get better get one you can hit with and show off at the same time.
The Webley is a good cheap shotgun but I like the Remington 1100 better.
The guns you're looking at are an O/U 410, O/U 20 ga. O/U 12 ga. and a 1100 auto.
My son shoots the Remington 1100 trap model. I can't beat him. He gets 23-25 very game.

#18 ·
They had 3 Remington 1100's in 20 at Cabela's here a few weeks ago. A lot of people feel the 1100 is the best shotgun made. My son has an 1100 trap from 1979. He loves it. Its older than he is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.