1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Shotgun Porting??

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

fcompton
    (11/28/01 12:19:46 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Shotgun Porting??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    have a trap Browning Citori O/U with fixed chokes. (full on top and improved modified on the bottom) which is my dedicated trap gun. Question: Does porting really have a measurable effect on muzzle jump and / or recoil?
    I hear that the heaver the load the better the effect, so: I load to 3 Dram eq, green dot and 1 1/8 oz. Of #8 shot.

warpig883
    (11/28/01 5:56:06 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Shotgun Porting??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In my experience the effect of felt recoil is negligible. It does look cool.

I would not hesitate to buy a gun that has it. But I would not pay extra to have one ported that does not have it.
    Why look'st thou so? With my cross bow I shot the Albatross.

WyomingSwede
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/28/01 12:28:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Shotgun Porting??
    I have a Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag that is ported. Having shot it and the old 3 1/2' chambered Maverick pump that was its predecessor the effect is pretty minor. I would agree with WarPig, if its on already...it wouldn't bother me. I would not pay extra for it. regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
  2. williamd

williamd New Member

I have not seen any reduction in recoil. The noise and blast could disturb the guy on the next station and help you out. :p

Personaly, I think it detracts from the looks of the gun!