Shotgun Porting??

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

fcompton
    (11/28/01 12:19:46 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Shotgun Porting??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    have a trap Browning Citori O/U with fixed chokes. (full on top and improved modified on the bottom) which is my dedicated trap gun. Question: Does porting really have a measurable effect on muzzle jump and / or recoil?
    I hear that the heaver the load the better the effect, so: I load to 3 Dram eq, green dot and 1 1/8 oz. Of #8 shot.

warpig883
    (11/28/01 5:56:06 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Shotgun Porting??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In my experience the effect of felt recoil is negligible. It does look cool.

I would not hesitate to buy a gun that has it. But I would not pay extra to have one ported that does not have it.
    Why look'st thou so? With my cross bow I shot the Albatross.

WyomingSwede
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/28/01 12:28:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Shotgun Porting??
    I have a Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag that is ported. Having shot it and the old 3 1/2' chambered Maverick pump that was its predecessor the effect is pretty minor. I would agree with WarPig, if its on already...it wouldn't bother me. I would not pay extra for it. regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
  2. williamd

williamd New Member

I have not seen any reduction in recoil. The noise and blast could disturb the guy on the next station and help you out. :p

Personaly, I think it detracts from the looks of the gun!