Shotgun question

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Crpdeth, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I enjoied reading Ricks thread below (basic shotgun question), very informative....It's been years since I owned a decent shotgun so I went out and purchased a used Remington 870 Express Magnum yesterday...My question is related to the choke, as I've no experience what so ever with them, (it came with a modified choke) Now, I understand the purpose of the different chokes (to basicly change the size and density of the pattern that the shot will produce) But what about when I'm shooting slugs? I've heard of a "rifled slug tube"...Do I need one of these to fire slugs? I know I'm not "supposed" to use a full choke with steel shot, but this is the extent of my knowledge in this area...Any schooling would be greatly appreciated.

:))
  2. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

Well, a rifled choke tube is supposed to give a slug some spin to make it more accurate. However, I have found that it's a bunch of hype.

From my smooth bore Ithaca 37 with a 26" barrel, I can keep the slugs (Winchester Super X) on a 9" paper plate at 75 yards.

That would drop any deer I have ever seen!

At 100 yards - I'm about 10" group - still acceptable.

I had a Remington that I put a rfled choke tube in - tried several different types of slugs - could not do better than my smooth bore.

Regarding steel shot, I do not use the stuff since I do not hunt ducks or birds.
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Sounds awsome...So do you use a modified choke with the slugs?
  4. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

NO!

I shoot some tacticle shotgun matches using a Remington 11-87 and find the IC tube works great for slugs. At a match a month or so ago, we had to engage several close up clay birds on stands out to 20 yards, then hit a 12" steel plate at 100 yards twice with slugs. I hit it on my first and second shot.

The modified tube would compress the slug as it leaves the barrel - this would slow it down (loose knockdown power) and maybe put a wobble on it.

In my younger days, I shot many slugs through a single shot Stevens that had a modified choke barrel. It worked fine out to 50 yards or so - then accuracy really tailed off. But that was back in the day.
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

oops, I didn't realize you responded (somehow the letter indicator showed closed)

I appreciate the information and will try to get ahold of one of these tubes.