Shotgun Recoil?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

bovusxl
    (10/3/01 9:40:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Shotgun Recoil?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys, this is my first post, so be gentle...

Anyway, I have spent the bulk of my 7 years firing handgunds and such, and actually have never shot a shotgun (a few rifles, no shotguns). I just bought my first (Mossberg 500 Persuader 8-shot pump) and I was wondering what to expect as far as recoil goes. I plan to take it out this weekend and test it out, but my concern life with my better half. The gun will be used for home defense and I'm worried that the recoil will be too much for her. It's a 12g and I've heard that the recoil is rather grizzly...

Is the recoil going to be too much for a gal? (she's 5'8' and 130-140 lbs).

The gun already has a rubber recoil pad, but are there more effective aftermarket pads available?

I have heard that using a stock with a pistol-grip and firing from the hip makes it much easier to manage...what do you think about this?

Any advice here?

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/3/01 10:05:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Shotgun Recoil?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bovusxl,

First let me welcome you to the boards. Second, I've shot 12 gauges before. From auto loaders and pumps to double barrel.

Recoil is there but not nearly as bad (in my opinion) as shooting my Turkish Mauser or my Enfield.

At 5'5" and when I was 100 lbs I was shooting the double barrel shotgun and fairly big rifles. It hurt a little but not enough to make me not want to shoot them.

My advice is have her work her way up to it. Don't let that be the first weapon she shoots. Pick something easier with little to no recoil and get her adjusted to the noise and such.

AntiqueDr
    (10/3/01 10:06:02 pm)
    Recoil is going to depend on what ammunition you are using. Light field loads will be no problem at all. Slugs and/or magnum buckshot are a bit punchy.

Firing from the hip can be tough on the wrists with stout loads, plus you aren't going to be able to hit anything. Remember at typical defense ranges even with the short cylinder-bore barrel the group will not be more than 8"-12" wide at the most. Best practice shoulder mount and fire.

Once you've shot it, and if you decide you need more recoil reduction, we'd be happy to talk with you about installing a recoil-reducer in the buttstock and/or porting the barrel.

And, welcome to The Firearms Forum!
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Tac401
    Administrator
    (10/3/01 10:06:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Shotgun Recoil?
    Welcome Aboard bovusxl!

The recoil will depend on what type of loads you are
    using, for instance 00-Buck, Slugs and high brass
    hunting loads are pretty hefty, but the target loads
    are no problem for continueous shooting.

There are several additional recoil pads on the market
    which should help a bit more with recoil, the pistol
    grip does take the bite off of the shoulder a bit
    however, accuracy is severely lost when using just
    a pistol grip, there are after market combo buttstock/
    pistol grip stocks that do offer the best of both worlds.

I'm not an expert with shotguns but some of our
    knowledgeable folks here will be along shortly to
    give you some better detailed advice.

Thanks for joining us and feel free to join us on any
    and all of the forums here as often as you like.

Tac/Admin
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

Edited by: Tac401 at: 10/3/01 11:07:31 pm

bovusxl
    (10/3/01 10:18:07 pm)
    Thanks for the replies fellas.

I would like to clarify a little...

I'm not worried about myself, it's the lady that I am concerned about.

I couldn't bring myself to fire a weapon from the hip, it's just not in my shooting routine. I've even tried doing it with the weapon dry (unloaded) while getting a feel for it...my instinct is to do it right and fire from the shoulder.

I plan on getting a buttstock/pistol grip combo for it. Just a pistol grip seems gimmicky to me...I don't think I could get used to it.

Right now I have 2 boxes of Federal Game Load (2 3/4" 1oz 8's) and I think that will be okay.

But anything that reduces recoil is probably a good idea even if the recoil is not all that bad. Are there any draw-backs to recoil reducers?

BTW, killer forum you've got here...

TallTLynn
    (10/3/01 10:31:44 pm)
    Not to put a fine point on it - but I'm a girl. And if your wife has shot rifles before - the shotgun should be easy. Just use lighter loads and with a recoil pad she shouldn't have a lot of problems.

AntiqueDr
    (10/3/01 10:36:16 pm)
    The biggest drawback is that they add a bit of weight to the buttstock. That can be a problem for competitive shooters who need the gun to balance muzzle-heavy. In fact, there are styles of recoil reducers that fit in magazine tubes for just that reason.

For your application, the buttstock mounted unit would pose no problems and would be preferred. We are re-introducing a police conversion that we were doing back in the mid 80's which includes a recoil-reducer, ported and backbored barrel with lengthened forcing cone and hand-honed action. Night-sights, matte-black Teflon finish, all that good stuff optional. Normal conversion is on an 870 or 1100, but it can be done on a Mossy. This type of custom stuff can get expensive, so the less the better. You might get by without any of it at all.

www.apaxenterprises.com

bovusxl
    (10/3/01 10:37:21 pm)
    That's what I had hoped...I can't wait to shoot (not sh*t) this sucker. There's something inherently wonderful about a giant shotgun...

I can't stop looking at the thing and saying, "Gee, you're a big gal, aren't ya?"...

Makes the Glock look like a silly toy.

{EDIT} removed accidental vulgarirty.

Edited by: bovusxl at: 10/3/01 11:44:24 pm

AntiqueDr
    (10/3/01 10:41:10 pm)
    One would think you'd have to EAT the sucker first.... my advice, lots of butter.

www.apaxenterprises.com

bovusxl
    (10/3/01 10:42:51 pm)
    You know, typos can be funny sometimes... =)

I read your post three times before I glanced up and saw my mistake...

That's just plain bad.

Everyone having a laugh at my expense?

AntiqueDr
    (10/3/01 10:46:35 pm)
    Personally, I aspirated a good 2-3 oz of wine.

Bravo! Your initiation is complete!

www.apaxenterprises.com

Tac401
    Administrator
    (10/3/01 10:53:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Shotgun Recoil?
    Thanks for the compliment on our site too bovusxl!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

TallTLynn
    (10/3/01 10:57:15 pm)
    You have now been properly iniated to the site and I'm still laughing.

AntiqueDr - you shouldn't waste good wine like that.

bovusxl
    (10/3/01 11:01:47 pm)
    Laughing? Me too...

I am getting funny looks over here...

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/4/01 5:01:34 am)
    Welcome to the board of miscreants. Like said above start her out with a light load. Target loads are even lighter that the game loads you have. Make darn sure she is holding it properly. First time my wife shot a 12 ga.shotgun. She was holding it it all goofy, head turned sideways almost under her armpit. I told her not to shoot that she was all wrong. She told me to leave her be and pulled the trigger. Picked all 110lbs of her off the ground and got a good ass chewing for my efforts. Now all she will shoot is the .410 or 20ga.
    I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor.

Xracer
    (10/4/01 8:16:53 am)
    Welcome bovusxl.....if you can borrow a 20 ga., you might want to start your wife on that....first light loads, then up to hunting loads, then up to light loads on the 12 ga., and so on. At "home defense" ranges, even birdshot is effective.

bovusxl
    (10/4/01 10:27:14 am)
    Yeah, target loads will be what I load for her. She's willing to try out the 12g first, despite my warnings to her. So, we'll see how that goes...

I'll keep you guys posted.

polishshooter
    (10/6/01 6:05:57 pm)
    Sorry I got in so late, but the key is make the stock fit her and stick to birdshot loads, even 1 0z low brass target loads make dandy home defense loads at living room ranges, in fact maybe the BEST ones, (there's a whole discussion on this somewhere in this forum.)

And those pistol grip only shotguns suck for everything except buying used cheap, then put a real stock on it. Guaranteed not to have been shot much, and once fired, and the shooter realizes how hard they are to control, how much they hurt, and how worthless they are, they sell them cheaply.

The pistol grip shotgun is good, I useta have one on my competition 870, BUT they aren't for everybody...I'd stick to the wood, cut it down to fit her, then put a rubber pad back on, and the recoil will be very manageable for her.

Shotguns "push" not "punch" like a rifle, more like Black powder, if you don't use slugs.
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

polishshooter
    (10/6/01 7:06:33 pm)
    If you can build shotguns for kids, you SURE can do it for adult women, no matter what their size.

Most people start kids with a single shot, them they get a new pump or auto when they are 16 or so...that is NOT the way to do it, but the way I and many others got started.

The best way to start a kid, about 8 or 9 if not earlier, with a shotgun, is to buy him a 20 ga. Semi-auto. And buy a replacement wood buttstock while you are at it and put it away.

First, you make a full length plug, so it will accept NO rounds in the mag. Make it a single shot, teach them to make the first round count, but get the advantages of SA recoil reduction. Also teaches him to load, and manipulate the action, work the safety, with you teaching him to control the muzzle as he does it.

Second, take the recoil pad off, and drill two parrallel 1/2 inch holes at least 3 -4" into the stock from the end.

Then with a REALLY fine bandsaw, (I've used a fine hacksaw too) cut two 1" sections from the end of the stock, and put them away in a safe place.

Remount the rubber pad...(you may have to use a smaller pad, I used a small"slip on")

With a perfect fit, percieved recoil will be negligible.

As the kid grows, you add one, then the other piece of wood to the stock, "growing" it with him/her. Use 1/2 dowel rods to position the stock piece(s) in the holes you drilled, just leave enough to add the last piece. Use carpenter's glue if you want to, but you can just use long screws, it'll hold. Then you can take it apart for other kids too...

After the kid has grown to about full size, (maybe 16-17 years old,) take the gun away from him in the summer, put the new buttstock on it, refinish the gun, and remove the plug, and give it back to him as a gift...he will act like he has a new gun, BUT it will be the one he's shot forever, the one he KNOWS how to handle safetly, where the safety is, etc.

The absolute WRONG time to give him a new gun is at this time...when they are 8-9, they LISTEN to Dad about safety...when they are 16, Dad is the stupidest human on earth, they DON'T listen... watch them fumble and you'll be SCARED.

Anyway, I had an old-timer tell me this, and I wished I'd have listened completely.

My wife would NOT let me buy the semi, too expensive...(I should have bought it when he was born, it would have been CHEAPER.)

I started him with a H&R Topper SS 20, but I DID cut the stock like that to fit him, took him to the range and squirrel hunting with light loads first,...he started shooting slugs at 9, hunted deer with me that same year, he COULD manage it pretty well. I remember shooting slugs from the old SS Savage 12 Dad had, beat me to DEATH at that age...

He still has it, stock is back together, but you can still see the cuts. He plans on taking it apart again for HIS kids.

The proper stock fit is essential, if it is too long, or too short, felt recoil will be terrible.

The next best thing is a Semi auto, felt recoil is substantially less than any fixed bolt gun.

Next is Docs recoil system...

BTW, when Dad made my brother and I learn and hunt with him with that old Savage single 12, AND made us START with slugs so we could "get used to the recoil...", Dad was using his Sportsman 48 16 ga Semiauto...we didn't figure it out until he "trusted" us to "borrow" it...

And another BTW, my son inherited Dad's Remington...

I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...