shotgun reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 5string, May 3, 2009.

1. 5string

5string Member

First post. I have a lee load all and need to load some 20ga shotshells. right now the only powder i have is some red dot,unique,2400. but the literature that came with the loader does not list any of the loads i want to use with those powders.

I'd like to load some 1oz shot with the higher velocity fps.

where could i find some info on these older powders?I do have some more powder ordered just incase i dont get any info. But i have a lot of the red dot powder i'd like to use.

And thanks for such an informative site. been lurkin for awhile
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum 5string.

I have never loaded any shotgun shells because I just never shoot a shotgun very much. Now that I have a Taurus Judge that shoots the .410 shells, and it is fun to shoot, I wouldn't mind loading for them since they seem to be higher priced than any other shells.

I am sure that someone will come along that will be able to answer you, just keep checking back every once in a while!!
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

My first thought was Alliant's data page. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx But I looked, and for 20 gauge 1-ounce loads, all they list is Herco and Blue Dot. It appears that the powders you have are not satisfactory for what you want to do.

You could try writing Alliant, and asking them.
  4. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

There is a load listed in the 5th edition Lyman shotshell manual for your Unique. Not the Red Dot for that load though.

Win HS or compression formed plastic cases.
    1 OZ lead shot
    15.5 grs Unique
    RXP 20 wad
    209 primer
    1130 fps
    11,500 psi

Welcome to the forum:)
  5. 5string

5string Member

Guess i'll just wait for the sr4756. or drop down to 7/8 oz shot. just was hopeing to use some of the red dot i have.