The Firearms Forum banner

Shotgun shell clarification

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Alpo 
#1 ·
Can someone please list, from largest single payload to smallest shot size, the run of normal shotgun shell typesin 12 ga?.
I.E. slug, thru to #12? Not shell length or powder load, but the projectile scheme.
Also, brass I.E. high brass, and variations.
I realize manufacturers will have variations but.....

G
#3 ·
http://books.google.com/books?id=eu...t&resnum=2#v=onepage&q=low base shell&f=false

Page 16 talks about low base and high base shells. Typically, when shotgunners talk about "low base" and "high base" shells, they are talking about standard vs. higher powered shells. This is not strictly true, but was common in the early days of paper shells. Today, the relative power of a shell cannot be detirmined by looking at the depth of the base.

Pops

#6 ·
If it's just a number, they are usually talking about birdshot. If talking about buckshot, that will usually be noted. If someone told me they had a box of #4s or #2s, I think, "Heavy duck or turkey loads". If they were not talking about birdshot, they would say, "#4 buck", or "Single ought buck", etc.

G
#7 ·
Shot shell = any shot up to (not including) #4 buck.
Buck shot = #4 and larger (not including slugs)
Slugs, = any single projectile load, whether sabotted or not.

Why? Because it's fun to confuse newbies, I guess. :D I never really understood the rationale behind all this, but just figured there was some reason burried with a centuries-gone blacksmith.

Target, skeet, light game, long range, goose load and Call Aunt Millie to bring the first aid kit, just mean the relative power of the load formula. Some of it is marketing poof but most of it is a good guide to tell you how badly you will get rattled when you pull the trigger.

Pops

#10 ·
Then there is Ugly Sr's Stupid Human Shot Shell Slamer. It is a combination of Drill scrap, Crushed rock salt, and #9 bird shot stuffed into a 3" magnum shell. It dont hold a pattern worth a poop but it eats the hell out of paper plate at 15 feet. Pops keeps it loaded in a Short old Stevens Pump that is just at the leagle limit. Ugly damage, I mean bad. That drill scrap shure does eat up the the paper and the rock salt is just there for the irritation purposes.

My father has too much time on his hands.

#11 ·
That is kinda purty, but it's in 8x57 rimmed. That's even harder to find than the 9.3x57 for my alg rifles. And it's a single trigger. I don't trust them in a double.

#12 · (Edited)
well ducks,geese, pheasants,quails and even TURKEYS drop best when you use magnum or high velocity rounds; preferably within 2,4,5,6BB,71/2, 8, or 9. grain.
quail,doves,pigeons,rabbits, squirrels, grouse, partridge. If you want to use something a little more inexpensive then you might like field or game loads. preferably 6, 71/2, or 8, grain;but sometimes you might need to take on something bigger like a bear you might want to stick with slugs with a 9 grain or higher. at least have some backed up just in case.

you might also try a 12 gauge with a higher round capacity and a quick feed out system for bears because they don't go down easy.
in any case it's best just to avoid bears.... unless thats what you're hunting for.

#13 ·
well ducks,geese, pheasants,quails and even TURKEYS drop best when you use magnum or high velocity rounds; preferably within 2,4,5,6BB,71/2, 8, or 9. grain.
quail,doves,pigeons,rabbits, squirrels, grouse, partridge. If you want to use something a little more inexpensive then you might like field or game loads. preferably 6, 71/2, or 8, grain;but sometimes you might need to take on something bigger like a bear you might want to stick with slugs with a 9 grain or higher. at least have some backed up just in case.

you might also try a 12 gauge with a higher round capacity and a quick feed out system for bears because they don't go down easy.
in any case it's best just to avoid bears.... unless thats what you're hunting for.
What in the world are you talking about? "Grain" is a unit of weight. A 12 gauge shot load uses around an ounce of shot. One ounce is 437.5 grains. The smokeless powder charge for a 12 gauge is around 15 to 20 grains (depending on powder). A "9 grain slug"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.