SHOTGUN SUGGESTIONS

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by BETH, Dec 8, 2010.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

thinking about maybe trying skeet what would be a good shotgun to start with:eek:
  2. ghrit

ghrit New Member

Just about any shotgun that can shoot two rounds without reloading will do the trick. That's if you mean skeet and not trap, as starting with trap a single shot will do. "Fit" of the gun matters more with clays than it does with game, or so has been my experience. Did I do it again, I'd borrow a gun and see how I like the sport before buying a gun for the purpose. (I had/have an 870, so started with that, bought a Browning Citori a couple years later.)

Trap and skeet shooters are a remarkable bunch, you'll be offered opportunities to shoot a wide range of guns once you show a bit of interest. After all, they like competition, the more the merrier.

Watch it, it is highly addictive. Once bit, you'll never quit.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

can't you use same shotgun for skeet and trap?
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

You can but most of your trap shooters prefer over and under's. Well the pros you see anyway. To get ya started a Auto will be right up yur ally. Do some lookn around on the web, Plenty of site out there for trap and skeet, it is a nice easy goin sort of sport to get into. I worked the Nationals in Darton Ohio when I was in School. Never did I run into a nicer gathering of folks, from teens all the up to the older crowd. Once it gets its hooks in ya though it can get to be a very expensive sport. I seen some folks have 10 grand or more ino their gear.
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

I want to try skeet maybe i should borrow some shotguns first but i don't want my shoulder knocked off with the recoil
  6. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

Beth, My daughter in law is 4' 10" tall........shoots trap with a full sized Winchester Model 12......12 ga. shotgun. It's not how big the gun is, it's if and how well the gun 'fits' you.........then it's light trap loads in it. I'd go watch at a trap and/or skeet range and see and talk to some of the shooters. Tell them of your interest and you'll get all the information and assistance you can handle. I'll stick my neck out here but will say that in my experience I've found trap shooters a more gregarious crowd than the 'skeeters'. I shoot trap.....but have shot both. Mike
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    As grampawmike says, fit is the most important thing. Doesn't matter if your'e shooting clays, birds, squirrels, or deer. If it don't fit, you can't hit, and you won't like the recoil!
  8. muddober

muddober Active Member

No BETH, a true trap gun is a bit of a strange bird. First off it is always a 12 gauge. The barrels are most always full choked and at least 30" long. Most are 32 to 34 inches long. The stock is fitted to the gun in such a away causing it to shoot high. This done because as the clay bird is rising from the trap house you do not have to "cover it up" with a trap gun like you would have to do with a field gun. Once the bird of covered you can no longer see it or judge the lead all of which a trap gun allows you to do.

Also the clay bird from the "trap fly" in many different directions from in front and away from you as the machine throwing the birds is continually oscillating back and forth in an arc. You stand in a straight line behind and parellel to the trap house and move along this line shooting five shots from five different stations from one end to the other. As one starts off shooting trap it is shot 16 yards from the trap house, as one gets better at it you "handi cap" yourself by moving back further away to the farthest position which is 27 yards causing you to have to break the bird in the 40+ yard range hence the full choke.

A skeet gun fits much like any field gun and can be any gauge including a 410. Most always has a 28" or even shorter barrel and is choked very little. Skeet clay birds are thrown from two different houses, one at each end of an arched path called a "high house" and "low house" with the bird always traveling in the exact path each time. The shooter moves in an arc starting with his back to the high house having to shoot two birds thrown at the same time with one coming at him from the low house and one going away from him at the high house. The shooter moves along this arched path ending up with his back to the low house again with a bird coming at him from the high house and one going away from him at the low house. The last two shots are shot by the shooter standing dead in the middle of the two houses were the low house bird is literally only a few feet off the very end of the guns barrel when broken and if done right one often has to duck his head not to be hit with clay fragments.

An auto loader (I shoot a Remington 1100) or over under works best but you will often see a lot old timers shooting model 12 pump guns doing very well. As one gets better he handicaps himself by shooting the smaller gauged gun. There is an 89 year old guy at our range that shoots a model 42 (like a model 12 but in 410) and just kicks my butt with me shooting a 20 gauge.

I hope that helps,

Ron
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

The best I can suggest to get what you want and can serve you well across the board no matter what you shooting, is get one with removable choke tubes or get one that can be converted to removable chokes. Not poly choke, they are too inconsistent. That way you can change your patters depending on what your shooting. I shot competition trap trough college and did it with a 24in barrel Ruger Red Label. Its what fit me and the short barrel made for quicker shots and acquisition. Many of the other shooters had their trap guns with all the high ribs, some autos, some doubles but I did well b/c my shots were so fast b.c I wasen't dealing with swinging a longer gun. I ran Full over Full but at any time I could change to something else b.c I had removable chokes. I'm a big advocate of doubles but get what suits your needs. Many people like autos but they are the first to fail you. Much of what your get also depends on price. Mossberg and Stoger have doubles in the 500 range. CZ, Ruger, Brownings are in the 1000.00 range and up.
    If recoil is a problem, moving to a 20 ga or even the 28 ga would do you well. 28 ga is getting more and more popular among the ladies. CZ has a gorgeous 28 ga O/U that is a case hardened receiver and black blue barrels. I keep eyeballing the one for sale by my house.

Attached Files:

10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Back in the day, when I was growing up i teethed my skeet skills on my grandads old boxlock SXS. I wanna buy me a ruger gold label someday:( but $2K is alot for a SXS double
  11. ghrit

ghrit New Member

Beth, target loads in 12 ga are not brutal, and if you know someone that reloads, you can go even lighter than commercial stuff to start out. And as noted, fit is the answer to felt recoil minimization. All that said, don't buy the first gun that you see until you've tried shouldering it. Anything that comes close will do for starters, you sure don't need a gun in the tens of thousands of dollars with millimeter adjustability to try the game. (Yes, Virginia, there are a lot of them out there well over 10 grand. Not 5% of shooters own and use them.) As a new gunner, I recommend against an auto loader, too many moving parts to clean and tend to. But that's just me.

+1 on removable and changeable chokes. Don't buy a fixed choke gun, they are too limiting.

mud guy, your description of a "true" trap gun isn't far off. That said, I have a guy at my club that runs 100 regularly with 28" barrels, and he's been shooting the game for just over two years. He could go pro if he wasn't more interested in racing jet skis.

GPM, spot on. Reduced loads for the recoil sensitive is the way to go. But trying standard loads first gives good guidance.

Hie thee to a trap range and talk to a couple shooters, chances are VERY good that you will see (and they'll let you try) more guns than an average gun shop stocks. Jump in, the water is fine. You'll get to details as soon as the bug bites, and it will.
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Ok i was going to go on the internet but why do that when i have the people here- skeet is when clay goes side to side right? what do u mean by choked? is over and under better or side by side?
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok i looked up chokes and i got that part-there are 2 area's to shoot where i am one field is really large and the other is smaller the smaller one there is a house u stand in front of on the larger field don't know where clays come from think out on the field, so which is trap and which is skeet will find out tomorrow at the gun club xmas party
  14. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

beth. i dont know you're experience with shotguns. but i am assuming you're pretty new to shotgun shooting at this point in your firearms endeavor so i am going to go astray a little.

i suggest getting a single shot H&R 20 gauge. they are about 100-125 new. and trying some hand thrown or cheap thrower thrown clays. a thrower is only like 30 bucks or so. me and a few friends just set up in a field and throw for each other. its informal and fun. you go at your own pass and have relatively little money invested
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

john i shot a shotgun once when i was 15 my dentist took me got 5 out of 25 after a while told him did not want to do it anymore my should hurt sooooo bad he brings me to trunk of his car opens up a case velour lined puts this shotgun together and says here try this told him i didn't want to incase i dropped it or something, he insisted, i shot and there was absolutely no recoil it was beautiful--that's my experience