SHOTGUN SUGGESTIONS

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by BETH, Dec 8, 2010.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

should i get a pump how else do u eject just open and take shells out? what is shottie? i don't mind spending $500 but i don't want to jump at 1st one i see and then see another i like better
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

helix sure like your picture, now that's an over under right,maybe the forum will have another xmas give away
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what's the difference between 12 ga and 28 ga u said more people are going towards 28?
  4. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Beth, as per what John said as to you being somewhat new to shotgun shooting, if it where me before going all out and spending big $'s on a firearm that you may not be certain you will enjoy (skeet shooting) you might consider going out and buying yourself an Reminton 870 to try the sport and if all else fails, you have you an all around good shotgun that you will be able to hunt with as well and not be out all the expence....JMO.
    EDIT: Hunt with or use as a home defence gun, and a good remington doesnt lose much value, if any if taken care of.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Beth, "shottie" is part of the baby-talk some folks use about their guns. Remington is a "Remmie" and Mossberg is a "Mossie", and their shotgun is a "shottie". Can you see I think that's foolish? :p

Gauge to shotguns is like caliber to rifled arms, except the numbers go the other way. With a pistol a 38 is BIGGER than a 22, but with a shotgun a 28 is SMALLER than a 12. Usually the smaller gauge will have less recoil, but the smaller gauge will usually come in a smaller gun, which means less weight, so that might mean more recoil.

With on over/under or a side by side, you just open the gun to unload it. Some have automatic ejectors (I think all O/Us have them) that throw the shells out, and some just have extractors which raise them up about a quarter-inch and you grab them and pull them out. Some have ejectors that will only eject the empty, so if you only fired one barrel it doesn't dump out the live round with the fired hull.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

28 gauge is smaller than the 20 gauge but bigger than the 410. The sizes go like this. 10ga, 12ga, 16ga, 20ga, 28ga and 410. I've been seeing a large influx of 28 ga recently but used guns in 28ga bring a premium bc they were way more rare until a few years ago. Yes what I have pictured is considered a over/under or what browning calls "superposed". That particular one is the CZ Woodcock series but they start at about 1000.00 but I have seen as low as 800.00
    500.00 for a double is modest. You may be better finding used than new at that cost. New For 500 mossberg makes a nice entry O/U called the silver reserve. Used I encourage looking at Stoeger Condors, Ithaca 500's, Savage golds, SKB's and even CZ has some used ones I've seen in the 500.00 range.
    Most importantly as others have said, make sure when you put it to your shoulder you don't need to reach, meaning you need to stretch your arms out to get it over to your shoulder. That would indicate that its too long. Put the gun to your shoulder like your going to shoot it. drop your trigger hand off the gun, does it stay balanced? or does it want to fall forward using your other hand as a pivot. If it falls forward easily then the overall length is too long for your fore arm hand, this would make the gun hard to swing in skeet shooting. Find one that fits? bring it up and aim with it. Does your dominant eye fall right down the rib of the barrel or do you need to smash your face into the stock to get your eye low enough? This would be the comb is too high. If you need to lift your head, then the comb is too low. Low comb can easily be fixed with a comb pad which are easy to find.

I almost forgot. The shells get ejected when you open the barrels after shooting them. Press the release lever and the gun will open at the barrels and the ejectors will kick the old shells out, just aim over your sholder, they will kick into your face if ya hold it that way. If you don,t shoot the shells and open the action the ejectors will nicely push them out for you to grab and not chuck them over your shoulder.

The pump gun is up to you. Pumps are generally lighter in weight and more common. 500 for a pump is easy but there are some real pieces of junk out there too that were abused buy previous owners. Many people abuse pump guns but not so much with doubles.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I don't see it as baby talk but more of a term of endearment.;):D How bout some gangsta talk:p
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ize kin go gangsta... gimme dat gage n ize busta cap in em clayz. Howz at?
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

wow, pure poetry right there people. Right from the guy that put the U in Ebonics.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It's funny, really. I've got 4 Husky 12 gauge doubles, 3 Husky 16 gauge doubles, 1 Husky alg rifle and one Husky 22. Not a thing in the world wrong with callin' them Husqvarnas "Huskies". And I have been know, on several occasions, to speak of my riffle-gun or my shoot-gun.

Then I see people talkin' 'bout their mossy and their remmie and their norc and their springer and their deagle, and I just cringe.
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I know, some of the names get really stupid. Then they talk to you like you know what they are talking about. I had a customer keep asking how his Smithy was coming along. Funny thing is that it was a colt.
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

all my pistols and rifles are cuties to me, great information everyone has given me there is certainly a lot to look at but now i know where to start. one other question, can u use any ga in skeet or trap?
  13. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

For playing around, sure. There is a trap range not to far from my work, I see every gauge shell you can think of. 410 is kinda scarce though. For competition trap is generally 12ga. My brother in law and my dad shoot skeet in 20ga.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

i dont like 'deagle'. it makes one of the manliest handguns on earth sound like an ugly lap dog. its disgraceful...
  15. muddober

muddober Active Member

Beth: First you have to make up your mind if you want to shoot skeet or trap. Skeet looks harder at first and probably is to the novice but to me it is the most fun. There are probably a thousand hundred straights shot with a 410 on skeet for every one hundred straights on trap from the 27 yard line. As I said in my earlier post trap goes in any infinite amount of degrees of direction, where as skeet always travels the exact path. Once you catch on to the exact path it becomes easier than it looks.

As for 28 gauge or 20 gauge, get a 20 gauge the shells are about half the cost of 28 gauge. As I said before if you are going to shoot trap you need a 12 gauge unless you just want to make noise. I have never seen or even heard of a 20 gauge trap gun, but then again there are a lot of things I have not seen or heard of.

Ron
  16. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Beth, you have a lot of good info here, I hope you can digest it all!:D
    Trap and Skeet shooters on a whole, are a pretty good bunch, and most often than not, jump to draw another in to their addiction.
    Translation: Hang out and ask questions, it won't take long before you have half a dozen offering free lessons, and use of different guns to try.
    THE most important thing with shotguns is the FIT. A $20,000 Kolar that doesn't fit is absolutely useless! A $200 Rem 870 that does fit is priceless!
    Don't shy from a 12ga, and go to a smaller gauge because of recoil. New powders offer the same or higher velocity, with less chamber pressure, resulting in less recoil. Auto loaders offer even more reduction in recoil, as do porting and good recoil pads. Shotguns with backbored barrels offer a recoil reduction. and better shot patterns.
    Back to fit, a properly fitted shotgun will reduce recoil too.
    Trying to learn with a smaller gauge will be a lesson in frustration. Just as an example, 12ga vs 20ga.
    Two gauges, same load,......say 1oz at 1300 fps. The 12ga is going to put more shot on the target "at the same time". This is called "shot string". Picture a cone of shot at the moment it hits the clay. The point of the cone, starts on your end, with the flat end of the cone on the target end. The length of this cone is the "string". A 12ga will have a shorter string than a 20ga, because the load isn't stacked as much in the shell.
    Kinda like race horses all coming out of the gate at the same time. If you only have two gates and ten horses, the ones in back can't make the finish line at the same time. if they're all running the same speed.
  17. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

here are some shotguns
  18. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

think i will wait for Bobski to come to my club and try it out that's if he has a shotgun i can try?
  19. bobski

bobski Former Guest

sure. i'll bring my 4 barrel set for you and you can try each one.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  20. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob, u have 4 different barrels for one shotgun?