SHOTGUN SUGGESTIONS

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by BETH, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

SXS shotties are more conducive for skeet (side to side) bc they have a natural lead with the left or right barrel relative to the sight which is in the center. O/U's are better for the straight on shots that don't have as much as a left to right lead such as trap. If people are just getting into doubles I usually recommend the O/U bc people are so used to aiming straight on rather than leading left or right. Plus if you have smaller hands, the O/U is generally narrower in the forend. Just don't jump on that pump bandwagon. Pumps are great for hunting. I always found them kinda goofy for clay birds but to each his own.;)
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok this is what i got so far-12 ga, side by side, no auto loader, removable and changeble chokes not poly chokes but basically make sure it fits. don't know what u call it but what about that part on stock that u can raise up or down, good or bad?
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thats an adjustable comb. You likel wont need it if you find a shotty that fits well. Look inot both O/Us and SXSs. With practice either will have you grinding clays to dust in no time...
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

adjustable combs are usually aftermarket and very seldom needed. My stock I actually cut down so when I raised the gun to my shoulder and cheek my right eye falls right in line with the rib and front sight. Do you have a price range? There is so much to consider but not a whole lot of help. Most people when they think shotgun they think pump.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah, knowing what you have to spend will let you know where to start looking...
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

should i get a pump how else do u eject just open and take shells out? what is shottie? i don't mind spending $500 but i don't want to jump at 1st one i see and then see another i like better
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

helix sure like your picture, now that's an over under right,maybe the forum will have another xmas give away
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what's the difference between 12 ga and 28 ga u said more people are going towards 28?
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Beth, as per what John said as to you being somewhat new to shotgun shooting, if it where me before going all out and spending big $'s on a firearm that you may not be certain you will enjoy (skeet shooting) you might consider going out and buying yourself an Reminton 870 to try the sport and if all else fails, you have you an all around good shotgun that you will be able to hunt with as well and not be out all the expence....JMO.
    EDIT: Hunt with or use as a home defence gun, and a good remington doesnt lose much value, if any if taken care of.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Beth, "shottie" is part of the baby-talk some folks use about their guns. Remington is a "Remmie" and Mossberg is a "Mossie", and their shotgun is a "shottie". Can you see I think that's foolish? :p

Gauge to shotguns is like caliber to rifled arms, except the numbers go the other way. With a pistol a 38 is BIGGER than a 22, but with a shotgun a 28 is SMALLER than a 12. Usually the smaller gauge will have less recoil, but the smaller gauge will usually come in a smaller gun, which means less weight, so that might mean more recoil.

With on over/under or a side by side, you just open the gun to unload it. Some have automatic ejectors (I think all O/Us have them) that throw the shells out, and some just have extractors which raise them up about a quarter-inch and you grab them and pull them out. Some have ejectors that will only eject the empty, so if you only fired one barrel it doesn't dump out the live round with the fired hull.
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

28 gauge is smaller than the 20 gauge but bigger than the 410. The sizes go like this. 10ga, 12ga, 16ga, 20ga, 28ga and 410. I've been seeing a large influx of 28 ga recently but used guns in 28ga bring a premium bc they were way more rare until a few years ago. Yes what I have pictured is considered a over/under or what browning calls "superposed". That particular one is the CZ Woodcock series but they start at about 1000.00 but I have seen as low as 800.00
    500.00 for a double is modest. You may be better finding used than new at that cost. New For 500 mossberg makes a nice entry O/U called the silver reserve. Used I encourage looking at Stoeger Condors, Ithaca 500's, Savage golds, SKB's and even CZ has some used ones I've seen in the 500.00 range.
    Most importantly as others have said, make sure when you put it to your shoulder you don't need to reach, meaning you need to stretch your arms out to get it over to your shoulder. That would indicate that its too long. Put the gun to your shoulder like your going to shoot it. drop your trigger hand off the gun, does it stay balanced? or does it want to fall forward using your other hand as a pivot. If it falls forward easily then the overall length is too long for your fore arm hand, this would make the gun hard to swing in skeet shooting. Find one that fits? bring it up and aim with it. Does your dominant eye fall right down the rib of the barrel or do you need to smash your face into the stock to get your eye low enough? This would be the comb is too high. If you need to lift your head, then the comb is too low. Low comb can easily be fixed with a comb pad which are easy to find.

I almost forgot. The shells get ejected when you open the barrels after shooting them. Press the release lever and the gun will open at the barrels and the ejectors will kick the old shells out, just aim over your sholder, they will kick into your face if ya hold it that way. If you don,t shoot the shells and open the action the ejectors will nicely push them out for you to grab and not chuck them over your shoulder.

The pump gun is up to you. Pumps are generally lighter in weight and more common. 500 for a pump is easy but there are some real pieces of junk out there too that were abused buy previous owners. Many people abuse pump guns but not so much with doubles.
  12. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I don't see it as baby talk but more of a term of endearment.;):D How bout some gangsta talk:p
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ize kin go gangsta... gimme dat gage n ize busta cap in em clayz. Howz at?
  14. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

wow, pure poetry right there people. Right from the guy that put the U in Ebonics.
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It's funny, really. I've got 4 Husky 12 gauge doubles, 3 Husky 16 gauge doubles, 1 Husky alg rifle and one Husky 22. Not a thing in the world wrong with callin' them Husqvarnas "Huskies". And I have been know, on several occasions, to speak of my riffle-gun or my shoot-gun.

Then I see people talkin' 'bout their mossy and their remmie and their norc and their springer and their deagle, and I just cringe.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010