SHOTGUN SUGGESTIONS

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by BETH, Dec 8, 2010.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, the pump action doesn't wear ya out at all, it's holding the gun up; so pump or auto, won't make much difference. O/U's tend to be a bit more balanced with more weight up front, makes for a smoother and less herky jerky swing.

on my 870 express, I put a Choate 5 rd extension tube, it puts enough weight up front that it feels like an over under and helps control the swing, making it smooth and consistent. (and it's 9 +1, yikes!)

I think a youth 20g would be great also.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i did not get anything yet the one i held was a full size i will ask others to try theirs and borrow the 1100 youth don't want to get anything until i try it just asking alot of questions because i don't know anything about a shotgun and i know everyone will help as always
  3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just picked up a Ruger Red Label 12 over and under. It was this or a Beretta but I couldn't bring myself to spend $2000 on a shotgun. Got the Ruger for half that.

Can't wait to try it this weekend. It came with the wrong choke's for trap but I have them on order. That cost me $80.
  4. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

In point of fact; a good pump-gunner is FASTER than an auto. I've seen it numerous times. A REALLY good shotgunner could shoot a broomstick and beat most of us! My best friend went to a local Sporting Clays shoot (with some really good shooters present) using an 870 Express 20 ga. with a mod choke. As a joke, he dragged the gun by the buttstock behind him to each station--and won the shoot!
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yep, pumps can be faster than autos!

station 7 doubles, I make both targets dissapear with my 870 in about .3 sec for both. working with the shot timer last time, I put the 870 and the 590 to the test, averaging about .21 sec splits on a pump for 8 rounds each. almost 5 shots a second!
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just got this shotgun. It's a Ruger Red Label 12 gauge. It was made in 1999. Like new condition. Came with the wrong chokes for trap but I have a full and IP on order. Will try it out this weekend...:)

My Ruger Shotgun.JPG
  7. JonnyBigBoss

JonnyBigBoss New Member

I love my Mossberg 590. Give it a look.