1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

SHOTGUN SUGGESTIONS

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by BETH, Dec 8, 2010.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, the pump action doesn't wear ya out at all, it's holding the gun up; so pump or auto, won't make much difference. O/U's tend to be a bit more balanced with more weight up front, makes for a smoother and less herky jerky swing.

on my 870 express, I put a Choate 5 rd extension tube, it puts enough weight up front that it feels like an over under and helps control the swing, making it smooth and consistent. (and it's 9 +1, yikes!)

I think a youth 20g would be great also.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i did not get anything yet the one i held was a full size i will ask others to try theirs and borrow the 1100 youth don't want to get anything until i try it just asking alot of questions because i don't know anything about a shotgun and i know everyone will help as always
  3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just picked up a Ruger Red Label 12 over and under. It was this or a Beretta but I couldn't bring myself to spend $2000 on a shotgun. Got the Ruger for half that.

Can't wait to try it this weekend. It came with the wrong choke's for trap but I have them on order. That cost me $80.
  4. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

In point of fact; a good pump-gunner is FASTER than an auto. I've seen it numerous times. A REALLY good shotgunner could shoot a broomstick and beat most of us! My best friend went to a local Sporting Clays shoot (with some really good shooters present) using an 870 Express 20 ga. with a mod choke. As a joke, he dragged the gun by the buttstock behind him to each station--and won the shoot!
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yep, pumps can be faster than autos!

station 7 doubles, I make both targets dissapear with my 870 in about .3 sec for both. working with the shot timer last time, I put the 870 and the 590 to the test, averaging about .21 sec splits on a pump for 8 rounds each. almost 5 shots a second!
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just got this shotgun. It's a Ruger Red Label 12 gauge. It was made in 1999. Like new condition. Came with the wrong chokes for trap but I have a full and IP on order. Will try it out this weekend...:)

My Ruger Shotgun.JPG
  7. JonnyBigBoss

JonnyBigBoss New Member

I love my Mossberg 590. Give it a look.