Shotshell loading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bikeryoda, May 27, 2009.

1. bikeryoda

bikeryoda New Member

I'm thinking about starting to load 12ga shotshells and am leaning toward using a Mec Steelmaster. Is anyone out there familiar with this press? Opinions? Sites to find it cheap?
  2. OBrien

OBrien New Member

I have the 600 jr and have loaded thousands with it. I like it it works well and for the price I have absolutely no complaints.
  3. Freebore

Freebore New Member

The MEC Steelmater comes setup for loading steel shot. The comparable press to the Steelmaster is the Sizemaster, which is the lead version. Both of these presses are excellent choices and easy to use.

If you need higher volumes of ammo, you may want to look at the Hornady 366 or MEC 9000G progressive presses, these can turn out a lot of shells in a single evening.

(I currently have a Hornady 366, two Pacific 300's, and a MEC Sizemaster, all loading 12 GA.)

If you don't need to load steel shot, I would go with the Sizemaster, it easy to use and turns out excellent shells. If you don't need high volume, the MEC 600 Jr is also a nice press.

Good luck.....
  4. bikeryoda

bikeryoda New Member

I will probably be loading both steel and lead shot. The description on the MEC website indicates that the Steelmaster will load both correct? I will be starting with a blank slate so to speak with little knowledge of shotshell loading. Also, while I'm on the subject, do you guys know of any good shotshell reloading manuals or data?
    Thanks a lot,
    BikerYoda