1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Shotshell reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Evins74s, May 26, 2012.

1. Evins74s

Evins74s Member

Just wondering who here reloads for shotshell? I have been tossing around the idea of starting to reload my own for duck/goose season. If you reload shotshells, what reloader are you using? Which would work best for steel shot since that is what I have to shoot when duck/goose hunting. Also, feel free to post pics of your shotshell setup.
  2. Waldog

Waldog Member

I recommend a MEC shot shell reloader. There are several different models. Some specifically for STEEL shot. With that said, the cost of lead shot is absolutely obsurd. Loading a few boxes for hunting loads is probably not cost effective. Just a thought.
  3. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

i know our local walmart has 2 mec loaders..
  4. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I load for four different gauges: 12, 20, 28 and .410. Strictly for skeet with the exception of some loads for the 20 and 28 for dove and quail. I looked into making steel shells years ago and saw absolutely NO benefit in cost, and the velocities available to the handloader could not match the factory shells with canister powders. I would simply look for good deals on 3" shells in faststeel or drylok in the shot size you want, and stock up. I've usually been able to get both for around $10/box. That's hard to match handloading.

Now; if you are loading sub-gauge stuff (28 and .410) you get an immediate cost savings. A good upland bird 28 gauge load will cost close to $20, and I can load it for about $3/box using expensive shot.
  5. Evins74s

Evins74s Member

Thanks for the info guys. I will just keep doing what I have been doing, buy 1-2 boxes when I get paid and stash them away for the season. Our season sucked last year so I already have a good amount of shells saved.
  6. vaskeet

vaskeet New Member

I dont think you will shoot enough steel loads to pay for the equipment and specilazied components even the reloaders need to be modified for steel Randy
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yeah, I've been reloading shotgun for a long time and not that long ago, it was roughly half price to load your own compared to factory shells. Hunting loads and steel were an even better ratio in favor of reloading... however...

now with absurd lead prices and everything else going thru the roof, you can actually buy factory ammo cheaper than reloading! and you're getting a new hull to load on top of that.

I still load my own though, I enjoy it too much not too... plus I shoot 7/8oz loads for skeet out of my 12 gauge along with .410 and some 28gauge. .410 is where you will still save pretty big on reloading but getting hulls is an expensive endevour.

I recently crunched the numbers for what it costs to load a case,

example: loading 7/8oz with reclaimed shot = $50 give or take a few
    factory 1 1/8oz load with nice round shot = $50 on sale or $60 normally.

loading 1 1/8oz with new shot = $65 at least!
  8. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

YUP!

I reload too, because I enjoy it. Don't, won't load steel. I reload Remingtons and good Winchesters for Trap, And Win Universals and Federals for lead hunting loads, cause I don't care if I loose the shells.
  9. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An
    Hello everyone,
    I just purchased a shotgun, and I know nothing about shotguns, except what I hear from all of you on the forum. I do have a question....

Have any of you ever just used a nail, dowel, and flat piece of steel, to reload your shells? I was watching someone do that on a video. Seemed pretty easy and much less expensive.

Rocky
  10. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

First of all, I would not do anything like that unless I was in a prison camp or something, not to knock the guy but I would not recommend doing that if you've never reloaded.

second, unless you want to reload, buying cheap federals or remingtons by the case ($55-60 nowadays) is actually cheaper than buying components and reloading in most cases.

If you want to get proficient with your new double, head to the skeet range! lots of people to give helpful coaching most places and I will occasionally do skeet or wobble with my Stoeger double. kinda tough with the tight chokes but it holds its own!
  12. soundguy

speaking of lead prices. I keep wavering back and forth on getting into lead casting for bullets and what not. one week I'm for it.. then next no.. :)
  13. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

casting is a great way to save some $$ on bullets and I find it quite a relaxing hobby. Spent a few hours at the lead pot today, made 100+ 12g slugs, 9 lbs of OO buckshot and some .45 ACP's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought 500lbs of WW lead from a shop years ago and melted it all down into 1lb ingots so I'm casting at roughly 35 cents a lb, gets me bullets super cheap for my time. Also comes in handy for muzzleloader (pure lead there) as well as salmon fishing (making cannonball sinkers).

It's pretty cheap to get going too, a nice furnace from Lee can be had at well under $100 and lee has some very good prices on their molds. Do it!
  14. soundguy

those look nice!