SHOULD A GUN BE CLEAN AFTER EACH USE?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Rockyja, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An
    I've always cleaned my gun after each use. Is this wrong? How often do you clean your?
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I do it too, can't help it.

I have already got out of bed to wipe off a gun that I showed to a friend that evening (he touched the blueing :eek: ) and forgot to wipe it down after he left.

Yes, I'm that anal about it. :D

The main thing is to clean them correctly so that no harm is done to the barrel, or the rest of it. I've seen guns screwed up by their owner using the wrong methods, tools, materials or chemicals. The jointed steel cleaning rod used from the muzzle has messed up many barrel crowns, but an easy repair.
  3. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't always. And I don't think it's that big a deal. I have no corrosion issues. And I always fire a fouling round after sighting in and cleaning my hunting guns.
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I hate cleaning guns. Thank you US Army and all your idiotic ways.

I hardly ever clean my guns.

Hunting rifles
    1. Once before the season.
    2. Once during season.
    3. Once after the season.

Pistols
    1. Once in Jan .
    2. Once in July .
    3. Once in December.

Rimfire Rifle.
    1. Clean the action. Haven't clean a barrel in 15 years.

Rimfire Pistols.
    1. When it starts to malfunction.
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Firearms fired with corrosive priming (mostly gone from commercial and most newer military ammo, today) need to be cleaned as soon as possible after firing, or the iron based metals would start to rust; especially the bore, and especially in hot, humid weather. The best cleaning material is very hot followed by cold, by very hot by cold, by hot water poured through the bore. Dry and oil afterward.The explosive element in corrosive primers is a chlorate type salt which explosively decomposes to NaCl or KCl when struck a sharp blow. Most oil based bore cleaners will not dissolve the salt deposits. they just mechanically aid in their removal and coat the steel with an oil film.

Today, most commercial primers are Lead Styphnate based. It and modern propellants do not leave corrosive residue in or on the firearm. Therefore, cleaning after firing is not mandatory as it is with corrosive priming. It is always a good idea to run an oily patch or two through a bore after firing, and to wipe the exterior metal of any gun, to help insure against rust.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Once upon a time when I was young and foolish, I would detail strip a firearm after shooting it. Now I just wipe them down, I have to confess I have 22 rifles that I've fired thousands of rounds through with out cleaning. Of course if there is a reason , such as suspect ammo or using them in the rain, that is a different story.
  7. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Always for centerfires.

Rimmies get the action only until the accuracy drops off or before changing ammo. Big canno worms on that one. :rolleyes:
  8. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

In the case of rimfires, I don't clean the bores very much at all. They shoot better dirty. But the rest of it gets a cleaning.

I wish I could...be normal, and not be so anal about clean guns. It must go back to when I was a kid and put away my new Winchester 94 32 Special in a plastic zip up gun case after hunting season without a good cleaning and oiling. It wasn't pretty when I opened it a few months later. Yes...that could be the root of the problem. :D
  9. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An

Sorry, and why do you fire a fouling round?
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

if they been in the safe a while i'll get em out and clean em

after every shoot i clean
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

No gun of mine goes back in my safes without being cleaned first. It may be a few days from the shooting to the cleaning but the guns get cleaned after every shooting sessions.

If you have ever cleaned an old gun that was not field stripped cleaned regularly then you have not lived. The grime and grit is everywhere, in every nook and corner, and a bear to get out. Field strip clean the guns after every shooting session and you'll never get to see the mess made by laziness.

Now, semi-auto blow back guns get a full field strip whereas bolt, lever, and pump guns just get a wipe down in the internals (stock is not removed). All barrels of all guns get thoroughly cleaned every time. Pistol gets full field strip and cleaning after every shooting session regardless of type.

I do this to make cleaning fast and easy because the way I do it stays ahead of any buildups that are tough to remove. But others I have known (in particular a M1 Garand match shooter for the Navy Reserve rifle shooting team from years ago) NEVER clean their guns and claim cleaning effects accuracy. I don't know about that ... I just want all my guns stored in my safes to be clean and ready for the next shooting session whenever that might be and that might be the better part of a year since I have so many guns.

LDBennett
  12. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I clean mine every 4,000 miles. It's not necessary to clean a fire arm every time you shoot it. Do you change the oil in your car every time you drive it?
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  13. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Excellent analogy.
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

carver:

Bad analogy.

The process of firing a gun is inherently very dirty with every shot. It takes many thousands of miles for an auto to make auto oil loose its additives and need replacement or get dirty enough to hamper the ability of the oil to do its job. Even just firing a primer without the powder leaves noticeable debris in the barrel. And if it is a blowback operated gun then the gas pressure enters the actions speading debris all over the internals of the gun. An automobile engine environment is nothing like a gun environment during a cartridge firing!

But hey, we all get to choose. You can do it your way and I'll do it my way and neither of us has to defend why we do it. We just do what we want to and nothing more. If there are consequences, we are the ones that pay for our own actions.

LDBennett
  15. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Not good. Not a good comparison. But, I actually enjoy cleaning my guns so I clean them after each use.