Should I add a 20 gauge to the collection or get another 12 gauge?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by netexasemt, Aug 23, 2011.

1. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

I am going to buy a Rossi matched pair rifle/shotgun and I am looking for some outside advice. I cannot decide between the S121780RBS or the S201780RBS. I have a 12 gauge that is great for shooting skeet, and even for deer hunting. I have an abundance of 12 gauge shells ranging from 4 shot to 8 1/2 shot, buckshot, and slugs. With 20 gauge ammo. the same, or close to the same price, as 12 gauge ammo., it wouldn't matter much money-wise which I bought. My main use for this new addition to my collection will be for longer range target practice and generally the weapon I grab when exploring and researching game patterns in the woods surrounding my house along side my pistol for the stray crazy wild hog. I want the .17 because I will not be shooting anything large while out, hopefully. I like the way a .17HMR feels and shoots, it's just a neat little firearm. My main question is, 12 or 20 gauge? I have not shot one much and I do not have one. I am adding the .17HMR because I do not have one, so should I do the same with the 20 gauge or stay consistent with the 12? I do have a couple of .410 shotguns, so "if" a 12 gauge would be too much for the job at hand, I would be able to compensate by using the .410 if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I keep a 20 around just for kicks
  3. Chinook

Chinook New Member

+1 on the 20!

If its not going to be a "hunting" only gun, its still going to be a great piece to have around for general target shootin, and clay bustin. Also its a bit lighter fully strapped, than a 12ga. So that might make it more attractive if you plan to mosey the woods for longer periods of time. As for long range target shootin, I have a couple 20's. One breech break, single shooter, the other is a newer Mossberg pump. Both have at least plinked clays at close to 60 yds. And that is not shootin high quality loads. Off the shelf Estates, in 8's normally for me and clay birds. Not an expert, just barfing thoughts is all!

But the package, either way you decide sounds like a sweet deal! I am lookin at something to chamber the .17 in the near future, and a couple guys at the local range seem to have nothin but good stuff to say about their Rossi firearms. Would love to hear a range report sometime when you have time!
  4. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Thank you both. I believe I may just get the 20. I will definitely get you some more info. on the .17's performance once I get it. Should be very soon.
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with having a 20 ga. around the house.
  6. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Ok, I finally decided on the 20 gauge. Thank you all for your replies and recommendations. I have one ordered and it should be here by the end of the week. I'm excited!
  7. vanguard

vanguard New Member

Now dispite what everybody else here is saying, I would go with the 20ga............lol
  8. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

It's a good idea to be fluent in all gauges. :D
  9. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

I'm liking it a lot! Very nice, convenient weapon. Out of the box I managed to hit 21 out of 25 skeet, it didn't take long to get used to. The .17's not bad either, but I'll play with it more once I get my scope base in and get my scope mounted. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and replies. I believe I would have messed up and got the 12 ga. Glad I didn't now that I've fired the 20!
  10. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Glad to hear that it worked out for you
  11. netexasemt

netexasemt New Member

Here she is! I'm liking it a lot!

Attached Files:

12. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 New Member

Yes
  13. gcalloway

gcalloway New Member

I am late I know, but as I get older I find less use for a 12 when a 20 will do the work with less recoil. If you miss the pain of shooting a 12 just take the butt plate off the 20 and put the screws back in about 1/2 way. The .17HMR is an outstanding round for plinking and small game out to about 175 to 200 yards if there isn't much wind. You have made an excellent choice.
  14. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Damn it! Now I am going to have to get a set of those too. Thanks a lot buddy.

Nice looking set-up you have!
  15. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Variety is the spice of life...
  16. aandabooks

aandabooks Member

Now for the tweener gauge, 16. My personal favorite.
  17. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

16? wow hard core. i loved my 20 , had a pistol grip for it and it was nice where the pistol grip 12 is a bit rough after awhile.
  18. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Not really a tweener, but I would go with the 28ga. next. Sweet little gun!
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011