Should I buy a .380acp??? Opinions please

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rglbegl, Mar 12, 2004.

1. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I shot a guys .380 the other day. ( Beretta cheetah ) I loved it. I need opinions from anyone who has used this calibre before. Are they worth it? It will just be for fun, I am not gonna carry it, or use it for defense, I have .45's for that.

Please tell me what you have fired and how it did for you.

If you were in the market for a .380, which one would you get? If any at all.
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Just my 2ยข kworth but if I were to be looking for a .357 size, or approximately that size, I'd look for a pistol in 9mm and would pick the one I have,

Browning Hi-Power Practical.

That said, if i knew then what I know now, I'd have had a 1911 .45 a long time ago.

I think the .380 is a little weak for anything I'd use it for, including defensive use. Invest wisely and get something a little heavier than the .380.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I have a Llama Mk. IIIa in .380acp. It's about a 2/3 scale M1911A1, and it's a ball to shoot.

Only problem is, .380 isn't cheap to shoot. I'd suggest you get a .22 for fun/plinking.
  4. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

If I had to have a 380 - I'd got with a SIG 230. (Not sure they still make the 230, I think they call it something else now.)
  5. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Browning hi-power is a nice choice, but I was trying to avoid the high cost. I have .45's and 22's under control. Lots of them.
    I have noticed the .380 and 9mm are really close in ammo prices, but I like the cartridge, slowely throwing a lump of metal out of the barrel with almost no recoil.
    BTW, Sig calls it the 232 now. Great gun, but too common.
    So are there any good .380 out there, or should I just get a 9mm?
  6. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

rglbegl, I've got the Browning BDA. I'm planning on using it as my carry piece...I'm a'thinkin 13 rounds a'dis pup at close range has got ta...

hurt like sheet!...:cool:

Attached Files:

7. denfoote

denfoote New Member

If you are gunna just plink with it, why waste the big money??
    Why not get a Makarov.
    The ammo is pretty much the same and cheaper too!! :D
    The pistols are a durn sight less expensive than that Beretta!!!!

The 9mm Makarov is a better round for just about anything than the 9mm corto!! ;)
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2004
  8. txpete

txpete New Member

ditto on the makarov!.I have a few and more power than a 380 bigger dia. bullet .365 vs .355 and you can get 95 gr jhp for less than $6.00 a box.
    I have never had a stove pipe,failure to eject ect with my maks.
    with the bulgarian maks running less than 150.00 in like new unissued cond. w/ extra grip 2 mags and a cleaning rod.
    www.aimsurplus.com
    check them out.www.makarov.com for the history/info on these pistols.if I sound like a makaholic I am.
    pete:)
  9. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Denfoote - thanx for the makarov idea. This could be the gun I was looking for. Cheap ammo, super cheap price on the gun. ( I am sure some are better than others. ) But boy are they hard to find out here in CA.
    Browning BDA, Beretta cheetah and the CZ 83 had my eye also. I guess it is time to see what all the Mak hype is about.
    Thanx again
  10. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

.380 for fun???

Only if you reload or your last name is Trump.

Fun = inexpensive = shoot much more often.

Go with .22 for fun. Inexpensive and lots of fun

ISB
  11. merc

merc New Member

I have a Bersa Thunder .380====Great Gun
    I love to shoot it and it is the perfect carry size.

I also have .32's and .22's
    The aare also great for carrying.

The .22's are the most fun at the range.
    I can shoot a few hundred rounds cheap.

As far as a caliber not being big enough for defense carry. That's bull.
    Any gun is better than rocks.
    And anytime you have to pull a gun on a person you should be close enough to stick it in his nose.
    If you are not that close you probably don't need the gun.

the .45's will put someone down faster a nd mopre permanately for sure and I do own a couple. But I find them a little large for concealed carry.
  12. axeg

axeg Guest

If it's really just for fun, why not a .22?

Why spend 20c a shot, instead of 2c per shot?
  13. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Are they worth it? It will just be for fun

Not if you plan to shoot a lot - 380 ammo is not cheap and reloading the tiny cases is not fun - at least to me! :D If you wanted to stick with a centerfire semi-auto I would recommend a 9mm - the ammo can be bought for much cheaper.

Still , I used to own a couple of 380 autos. Both were 80s vintage Walther PPK/S models - the first was blued and I traded later it for a stainless. Hear how they are overpriced, inaccurate , unrealible and bite the web of the hand. The two I owned must have been the exception. The target shows a 50 ft target shot with CCI blazers - for a pocket pistol I though the pistol was capable of very good accuracy.

I would still go with a 9mm - which I now have (Sig P239) or if you want to shoot a lot - the 22lr that has been mentioned more than a few times.

Attached Files: