Should I buy a used Uberti 1858 Remington?

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by DozyRider, Jul 9, 2010.

1. DozyRider

DozyRider New Member

I'm in the market for one - but new ones start at only $170 at Cabelas. What are the risks of buying used? And how much does a used one fetch anyway? Are there any for sale at any stores or sites that you know of? I'm looking to get one in SC or NC, preferably close to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I notice that quite a few of you guys have several of them, but they never seem to come up for sale in the want ads on this forum - why is that?
  2. Gatofeo

Gatofeo New Member

Remote Utah desert, separated from Oblivion by a s
    Seems like, from what I've seen, most cap and ball revolvers don't get formally offered online or in stores. They're used as trade with another shooter, at gun shows or in yard sales. Most of the time they're not taken very seriously, certainly not as seriously as a .38 revolver.
    I'd be a little wary of buying a used cap and ball revolver. If it's not clean when you inspect it, pass it by. That tells me that the owner didn't care enough to keep it up. If it is clean, inspect the chambers and bore carefully for pitting.
    It is not uncommon for the old, original revolvers to have pits so deep in the chamber walls that they create a hole between the chambers. Obviously, pass this gun by unless you want it for a wall hanger and it will never be fired.
    Like any revolver, ensure that the cylinder locks up tightly, and in line with the barrel. DO NOT dry-fire it or you'll damage the nipple.
    Check the bore for pitting. Go over the cylinder and barrel carefully with a magnifying glass, looking for hairline cracks. It's not unheard of for some jackleg to try a little smokeless powder in these revolvers.
    People seem to abuse cap and ball revolvers more than any other gun, through experimentation or neglect.
    Do NOT buy a brass-framed gun, not even a new one. Get a steel-framed revolver. Most brass-framed cap and ball revolvers are not as finely made as their steel-framed counterparts. The brass frames are not as strong, either.
    Yeah, they look "purty" and the slack-jaw crowd often buys them. They're okay for starting out, or for use with light loads, but avoid strong loads in brass-framed guns or you'll strain the frame.
  3. DozyRider

DozyRider New Member

Thanks for all the good advice (as usual!) Sounds like I don't have enough experience to assess a used one. But there are so few around I reckon I'll have to buy new anyway.

I'm on a tight budget so despite the disadvantages of brass it will have to be this one with the starter kit. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...8bc4-11df-a6a3-000423bb4e79&_requestid=109707

I would much prefer a stainless steel target model, but they're twice as much: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...8bc4-11df-a6a3-000423bb4e79&_requestid=109707
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

My buddy picked up a stainless steel BP revolver with a blued cylinder for $50 at a gun shop. It was in good condition, and it's a good shooter.
  5. Pustic

Pustic Member

I own five 1858 Remington Italian reproductions and four were bought used from gunshows. I have two steel frames and three brass frames with one being the Bison. I've never had any problem with shooting any of them and I always use my Bison as a hunting revolver with great results.

Used 1858 Remington reproductions should be around $150.00 +/- a few dollars, just give it a good looking over first. An original may start at around $500.00 and go up.

Hope this helps you out.

Pustic