Should i get a 10-22?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Jun 7, 2009.

1. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

okay yall. well some of you here might know from my previous postings that i have had bad experiance with 2 ruger 10-22's, but not being biased, im considering giving one a try again.

the problems i had before, with both models was consistant failures to eject, stove pipes. the gunsmith told me that an extra power extractor spring and better extrator should have fixed the problems i was having, when i run the idea of getting one by him a few months back. and i figure if i was to have problems with the new one, i would stick this one out and eventually get the bugs worked out of it, instead of swapping it off like i did the last 2.

i would like to mention however, i will not make a race gun or anything wierd out of it. a folding stock would be cool, but not really what i want, i like the idea of a 30 round magazine for it though. i am wondering if any of the hi cap mags are any count, i dont want any headaches from them. is there any brands to stay clear of? any brands that are best? the gunshop i go to had a promag 50 round drum the other day, are they any count?

thanks for the advice on mags or mods,

~john
  2. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I have an old 10/22 that I've had spectacular reliability from. I got it as a kid, and I'm 40 now. I almost never clean it. Like, maybe a dozen times, ever. I've fired a LOT of rounds with it, especially when I was a teenager. The only failures I've ever had were from using Federal Lightning ammo, they failed me a few times.

For a general-use .22LR carbine I can reccomend none higher.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Keep the one you have and get the bugs worked out. That's my recomendation. I own two, and love them. One thing that I would like to add is that I would send it to Clarks Coustom Guns in Princeton, LA www.clarkcustomguns.com . These folks are the premier 10/22 smiths that I know off, and I can personally recomend them highly. At least check them out. As for the mags., be sure that you only buy those with metal feed lips. The plastic ones wear down very quickly, from the bolt sliding across them, and will soon fail to feed. Can't help with the 50rd. mag., never owned one.
  4. XD Fan

XD Fan New Member

I have an older one and have had spectaular reliability from it with factory mags. However, I have yet to find a hi-cap that reliably feeds.
  5. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I have a 1984 issue one, and the only problem I've ever had was operator error. If you don't load the hi-cap mags correctly, it'll FTF on you. Other than that, mine's very reliable. TJ
  6. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

That's the best advice!
    The older Rugers were trouble free for the most part. Quality control on the newer ones seems to be nonexistent. A couple of the trigger jobs I've done recently, had triggers and sears that looked like someone pounded them to shape with a ball peen hammer. One of them was so bad it wasn't usable!
    The Volquartsen trigger replacement gives a reliable 1.5lb trigger pull with a clean crisp break, doable for a novice, but they are a major PITA to install!
    Leave the plastic extended mag releases to someone that likes headaches, use the metal ones.
    The only hicap mags that have a chance of feeding reliably have steel feed lips. Better to invest in one of the clips that holds 4 factory mags, one in the rifle, one straight down, and the other two facing sideways.
    The after market extra strength extractors are worth the time and money, too bad Ruger couldn't make that improvement.
  7. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

okay, thanks for the advice. i forgot to mention that i once had trouble with one of the factory mags, best i recall when i got it, it didnt have enough tension on it and i had to take it apart and turn the , whatever you call that center piece, a tad more to get it to reliably bring shells up. maybe my best bet is to buy an older one, instead of a newer one
  8. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

I haven't found one yet I couldn't work the bugs out of. Buying an older one may be just buying someone elses problems.
    One thing Ruger did do right, and left it as is, the 10 shot rotary mag. Most 10/22 owners will clean their rifles, then stick a mag full of dirt right back in the rifle. The mag sits behind and under the chamber, right where all the half burned powder flakes fall.
    I pulled one apart (not recommended without a schematic and instructions) that was probably 30+yrs old. It was packed full of junk and it still functioned! Out of probably hundreds by now, I've only run across two that would not feed reliably. One had a burr on the rotor, and the other had a ding on the feed lips. A jewelers file and some 1000 grit emery paper put them both back in action.
  9. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

I have always wondered how the 10/22 could be such a piece of crap and not only survive; but control the very absolute .22 market?? How many millions??

I have found after decades, that I personally have never had a bad one. I have probably owned more than most owners and have modified just as many.....done for fun.

In a rest every one has produced 1/2" @ 50 yards with shelf fodder.

This leads me to believe most can no longer shoot.
  10. spurple

spurple New Member

I agree with Maximillian II. The only problems I have ever experienced were with Federal Lightning ammo. At one time you could buy a brick of this ammo really cheap so many of us did. It works fine in pumps and singles but is hell on autoloaders. Very dirty as well.
  11. BigCheeseStick

BigCheeseStick New Member

No sense in reading the post. Should I get a 10/22? YES!
  12. BigCheeseStick

BigCheeseStick New Member

Every American should be issued a 10/22 on their 8th birthday, and required to log no less than 40hrs range / hunting time each year of their lives. Any other thought is pure communism!
  13. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

You preach it and I'll turn the pages brother, Amen.

Seriously though I would get one. If you are having FTF and stovepipes though you might look at the type of ammo you are using. In m ine I cant run anything but Stingers. Bulk ammo in mine will make a feller question his faith(or at least make the dear lord blush at the sting of obsenities flowing out of the mouth of one of his flock).CCI works well also. But bulk, mine simply dont like em. It is the same with my Mk III also. I am begining to guess its a Ruger thing.
  14. pawn

pawn New Member

15. shawnc

shawnc New Member

been there done that with the 10/22 now i own a remington 597 and love it. best 22 lr ive owned since my old nylon 66 which will still out shoot any 10/22 ive ever fired.
  16. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

+1 ShawnC

The Remington 597 has proven itself to be as accurate as my Marlin 60.
    although I still maintain my 10/22 for modifications in appearance.
  17. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yep, that's the one to get! I have two 10-22's, one from 1969 and one from 2008. Both experienced stovepipe jams with the bulk ammo. The Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor fixed it in both guns. They're around $10 and take no more than 5-minutes to install. Anyone can easily do the switchout. Here's a link with detailed instructions and pictures on how to do it:

http://www.rugerfan.com/extractor.html

.....and another great link with pictures:

http://ruger22.com/pages/mod9.htm

You don't need the special tool I just used a dental pick for the changeout, but a small jewlers screwdriver would work too.:)
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  18. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

DOUBLE POST----SORRY!!!

Yep, that's the one to get! I have two 10-22's, one from 1969 and one from 2008. Both experienced stovepipe jams with the bulk ammo. The Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor fixed it in both guns. They're around $10 and take no more than 5-minutes to install. Anyone can easily do the switchout. Here's a link with detailed instructions and pictures on how to do it.

http://www.rugerfan.com/extractor.html

You don't need the special tool I used a dental pick for the changeout, but a small jewlers screwdriver would work too.:)
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  19. Grahajp

Grahajp New Member

You can't really go wrong with one of these rifles. I've own two and purchased them for both of my son's also as soon as they were old enough to carry them. I agree with the other's though...switch out the extractors and shoot good ammo.
  20. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I don't own one. But from what I've read:rolleyes:, you can spend a LOT of money on them to get them to shoot decent.
    Several HUNDREDS of dollars.

Get a CZ and don't look back.:D