Should i get a 10-22?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by johnlives4christ, Jun 7, 2009.

1. RonC1

RonC1 New Member

Yeah, go ahead and buy it. Then you can say you have one.

But after that, replace the barrel, the trigger group, stock and receiver with those from Marlin. In my opinion, you will wind up with a better rifle.

I bought a K10/22-22 rifle (Stainless barrel, silver color receiver, 22 inch barrel,) once carried by Wal-Mart.

To say I am not impressed would be a colossal understatement. The magazines are a pain to load without an aftermarket loader, the bolt release is a pain and the bolt does not lock open after the last round. Its accuracy is nothing to write home about either. The only good things I can say about it is it is handsome to look at and it will fire every brand of ammo I have fed it. (Just never sure quite where. Well, that is an exaggeration, but almost any other 22 I own will group better and I got a bunch.)

I still have it 'cause I buy guns but I don't sell 'em. It is becoming a safe queen because of its crude, antiquated design and the above noted drawbacks.

I have heard of others whose rifles/carbines group fine but that has not been my experience.
  2. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

I got my 10/22 Stainless all-weather model when I was about 15 years old. It was my first gun. I enjoyed shooting it but it consistently had issues not extracting the spent shells or stovepiping. This went on for years as I was just a kid and didn't know any better to fix it. I got about 18 or so and decided to fix it. I read online and saw that the most common issue was the extractor.

I pulled the gun apart dropped in a Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor. Not one single failure to extract since, in about 5 years. I shoot it regularly.

Not only did this solve my problem, but the 10/22 has so many afterrmarket options it is hard to beat. I will say the only mags I will use now have STEEL feed lips. I have had issues with every single one that had anything but STEEL. The stock mags and the Butler Creeks are what I use.
  3. WillShootForPay

WillShootForPay Former Guest

Try using CCI MiniMag. They are clean burning, reliable, and relatively inexpensive. The thing with semi-auto .22s is that they require a slightly more powerful round to make the 10/22 work reliable. I only shoot CCI MiniMag and have awsome reliability. I clean mine about every 500-800 rds.
  4. fyimo

fyimo New Member

Congratulations on joining the forum from Arkansas.