Should I get a Dog ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nevadal, Jun 24, 2012.

1. nevadal

nevadal New Member

I have now found myself retired, and probably old by many standards.
    I live by myself, and could use the company....however the exorbitant cost of vets is definitely a factor.

My good friend just sold his Harley to pay a vet, and the dog still died.

My last dog was the most fantastic Dobie known to man, He had me for
    14 years, and when he died, it was many times worse than losing a family member. I just get so attached to a dog that always gives more than it takes.

Whatcha think ?
  2. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
  3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I think you should raise chickens
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of dogs. I'm voting that you get one.

Would I give up my Harley to try to keep my pup? Probably, though it would depend some on expected lifetime and quality of life for the dog following whatever procedure was needed.
  5. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

The first rule of owning a dog is that dogs die. It stinks but we can own a lot of dogs in a lifetime. If it hurts more than losing a family member then IMO don't get one. I love my animals and it hurts for years when I lose one. I'm still sad over losing my dog from when I was a kid and that was 50 years ago. But I know that we have to accept that dogs die before we do. I've never let that stop me from getting dogs. I've owned many in my life too. But I don't treat them like family. I know I will lose them so I accept it more than you judging by my limited knowledge of you from your post.

Secondly it sometimes becomes extremely expensive if we insist on extraordinary measures to keep an animal alive. So again, I don't treat animals like family. Some of the hardest decisions I've ever made in my life were about letting go of a pet. But I know that no matter how much money we spend dogs still die. There has to be a limit because we aren't God and we shouldn't try to act like Him.

If you can live with those two rules owning a dog becomes one of the great joys of life. Every dog I own learns to smile because I make them extremely happy. I don't know if you've seen a dog smile but it only happens when they are as happy as a dog gets. They show their teeth and wag their tails because they like their life and they like their owners. I have a dog now that's worth his weight in gold IMO. He's an incredibly good watch dog. He never barks except when there's a really good reason to bark. He's insanely fast so animals and people can't intimidate him or hurt him easily. Shooting that dog would require incredible skill because he's moving at the speed of light it seems. He also won't eat anything unless I give it to him. So he's just about as good as it gets for being a watchdog. He's also becoming a good squirrel dog. That's something it's hard to teach a dog. Teaching them to hunt other things is much easier IMO because squirrels spend most of their lives way at the top of big trees. They just don't spend enough time on the ground to track. So they have to be winded. That's what us hillbillies call smelling an animal from a passing wind and being able to then track down the tree that the smell is coming from. Many dogs hunt squirrels by sight too. Both ways are ways they just have to pick up themselves. There are things we can do to help some but not a lot. It's not like hunting coons which spend a lot of time on the ground.

The only other drawback to owning a dog is what to do with them if you want to go on vacation. Having a friend to stay with the dog is best. Paying for a kennel is the worst. Many dogs hate kennels.

I could list a million reasons to own a dog. Again I've owned so many I couldn't begin to count them. I generally own several at any given time. I'm trying to limit myself to one at a time now. Too many dogs together can develop a pack mentality and they will do things they would never do on their own. I live where I can let my pets run free. I don't like to restrain a dog. And that means watching them close to make sure they don't start running in a pack because packs of dogs sometimes kill people or livestock or other people's pets, etc.. The only other thing to watch for is a dog getting into people's garbage. Once they start that expect to tie them up forever.

That's about it for dog rules. They can give you lots of things. My great, great, great, great grandfather had a dog that saved his life by distracting a bear that was after him. He had his feet tangled up in briars on the side of a mountain and couldn't get a shot off at the bear for a while. The dog kept the bear occupied until he could get free and shoot the bear. I have the same breed of dog he had as a matter of fact. I've seen my dog chase off two bears at once while another ran off on the other side of the ridge line. It was a mother and two cubs. He was too late to save one of my cats but the other two were saved by him and he's no doubt kept that bear from killing those cats since then. A dog can be a valuable thing. I could go on about shepherd dogs and the work they did for us too but this post is already too long.
  6. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A dog will be your best friend.
  7. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Another yes vote. if you get a cat, you lose your man card and get to hang with highboy and the other ladys:D
  8. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

YES! It's a no brainer.
  9. USNative

USNative New Member

Man's best friend, I think they are a good thing to have around. You can't get anything much more loyal than a good dog. I love em' myself and I think you and everyone should have one. ;)
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

We've always had outside dogs & then also a house dog. The house dog is like another kid, but keeps everything on the straight and narrow around the place, bear, rabbits, and teenage neighbor kids that always go through that stage. We couldn't never do without a hound around.
  11. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

by all means get a dog
    please remember: all living creatures will die at some point
  12. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Don't get a puppy ! Adopt an older adult dog .... there must be a animal rescue
    somewhere in your area .... visit them and see what they have .
    There are several advantages to adopting , talk to the folks at the shelter about them.
  13. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

Inside dogs are not an option for me, because of allergies. We have a parakeet, and he is a lot of fun to interact with.
  14. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We've had cats for 40 plus years....BUT they are cats. I got my first dog 2 years ago from a reputable breeder and my life got better.

Are they work? Hell yes and very demanding of time. Cats are independent by nature; dogs are needy. Cats only seem to display affection only when there is an ulterior reason (food). Dogs never seem to stop displaying affection for you, no matter what.

It seems as if you have laid out the pros and cons as they would affect your life. I agree with getting an older dog at a Rescue. When researching my dog, I decided that I really wanted a King Charles Cavalier. I went to all of the shelters and Rescues and was politely told that, "if someone were to drop off a King Charles, it would be adopted in 5 minutes.

Bringing Charlie into my life chaged life dramatically, as did the 3 boys we were gifted with.

My son who is a biologist feels that a mutt is inherently healthier than purbreeds.

Either way, as was pointed out earlier, all pets die at sometime. Just as humans.

Good luck.
  15. bobski

bobski Former Guest

animals die. they break you heart.
    if youre not strong enough to face it, i say no.
    this is why God created people to live longer. its so we dont have to experience death as often, and yet people die more often too.
    farmers become numb to animal death. to them, its a part of survival.
    but when you make an animal a pet, you get attached, and you set yourself up for hurt.
    after a lifetime of 400 cats, and 300 dogs...at my age, i cant take it anymore.
    the pain is too much. and so is the cost.
    just my 2 cents.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  16. mintaka

mintaka New Member

In the simplest of terms, where else can you give an ounce and get a ton in return.....they ask for so little, and in return give you a life of love and loyalty, and with all that, will gladly give their life in your protection...there is the dog and nothing else comes close...what's to think about...life is a risk,a dog is a sure thing
  17. Mike1959

Mike1959 New Member

Absolutely YES. my wife was not very dog friendly until we got a new Lab puppy. She is now head over heels in love with this dog, it is so comical. The other night she even said "I love you" to the dog befor me!
  18. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

get you a runaway or look int he paper for a 'free to a good home' add. get a dog past puppy stage thus past most of the juvenile vet stuff. a good dog is a good companion. you tyaking in an unwated dog will make him attach to you. most adult dogs don't need alot of vet stuff unless an inury happens.. like car/dog collision. that can be controlled by you and the dog.. past that.. choose a breed with no hip problems.. and if a female.. get a spayed one.. get one with no stomache issues..

good luck
  19. techiej

techiej New Member

+ on adopting from a shelter/humane society. We've gotten all of our dogs (5 over the years) this way and for a companion dog can't be beat. Also, by getting a dog out of the puppy stage you avoid the hassle of house breaking the puppy, shots and neutering.

Our latest addition to the family is a 6 year old (older than what we planned on getting) blue heeler-german shepard mix. He is almost all black and intimdates strangers due to his intense stare and big white teeth. In fact they were having a hard time placing him due to his looks and that he is not a licker with regards to affection.

After a few months he has turned into the best dog -- attitude, loyalty, affection, obedience -- that we've ever had.

He did come with a pre-existing heart murmur but it is one that we can either spend a fortune on preventive care/monitoring or provide him with the best possible life for as long as he lives which is what we opted to do. Funny thing is that everytime we woudl visit a vet for the first time (moved a few times so changed vets) they would always id the murmur, recommend EKG's/cardiologist visits, etc. to the tune of $1,000+ which would just let us know what the exact cause was of the murmur and maybe be able to id what meds to put him on, or require major surgery. In each case when we pressed the vets what they all said was that we could just give him a good life, plenty of exercise and monitor him for any major changes and he would probably live just as long anyways!!!
  20. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

yes. I would if i could. Two of the kids have alergies to them so we cant.