Should I get a HK USP 9mm or Sig Pro .40?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Forsaken1
    (12/23/02 11:02:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Should I get a HK USP 9mm or Sig Pro .40?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey guys looking for some input...I've got the chance to buy a Sig Pro for $499.00 or a HK USP for $619.00 both are new guns. I'm trying to decide if the HK is worth the extra $120.00. Gun will be my one do everything pistol, plinkin, defense, etc. What do ya'll think?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/24/02 3:47:26 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Should I get a HK USP 9mm or Sig Pro .40?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to TFF Forsaken1.

I have not idea about them there guns. One of the guys that do will speak up and help you
    Don't blame yourself or anyone else for your mistakes or the downfalls of the USA. BLAME PRESIDENT BUSH.

1badassmagnum
    (12/24/02 10:13:07 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Should I get a HK USP 9mm or Sig Pro .40?
    hk makes some very accurate and high quality firearms.I have shot a few sigs,and am not impressed with them.german engineering

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/24/02 11:30:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Should I get a HK USP 9mm or Sig Pro .40?
    Welcome, Forsaken1, glad you are here to share knowledge and enjoy each others company.

Now, how come there isn't a .45 acp in your gun question line up? That's the caliber for serious put down power.

Never owned or shot those guns you mention, but bet they are quality firarms.

Gunguy

1badmagnum
    (1/4/03 8:51:03 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del get the pistol you like the most
    the price on firearms is secondary to me.the costs involved in shooting will easily surpass the original cost of a firearm.my 9 mm loads cost about 20 cents each to handload with top quality componants,my 440 loads about 25 cents,and 50 ae about 35 cents each.this being said,I usually shoot the 440 because the fun factor is much higher than a 9mm round.the 40 is slightly more powerful,and slightly more for factory ammo,and the 45 auto is a great caliber for the experienced shooter.I bought my 9mm so my wife could go shooting with me,and her small hands fire this weapon just great.if I was buying for me I would have chosen the 45 auto.good luck with wahtever you chose,I like the hk alot.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/4/03 5:48:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: get the pistol you like the most
    All other things being equal, of the two, I'd go with the 40 caliber as a defensive round. It has a significant edge in real-world stopping power over the 9mm.

EvilAudio
    (1/5/03 11:11:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: get the pistol you like the most
    Xracer:
    I'm on your side but, the advantage the .40S&W has over 9mm is MORE than significant. I find it hard to believe that people actually still buy 9mm pistols since the .40 and .357Sig has been catching on. The 9mm is nothing more than a hair bigger than a .380 ( snicker ). It has been proven time and time again that the 9mm is not a "man stopper", no matter how many Navy SEALS say "It doesn't matter when I put a 9mm in your brain." Not everyone can hit an assailant in the brain, so a .40's power is a much needed commodity in a small autopistol round hitting in the torso.
    I might add that the .40 is beginning to approach .45 numbers in ballistics now that some more development has gone into it by the ammunition manufacturers.
    The advantage the .40S&W has over all other auto rounds is so glaring it befuddles me why anyone would use anything else in a CCW pistol.
    "If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." George Brett
  2. boomstik44

boomstik44 New Member

I say go with the Sigpro. I have a Sigpro 2340 and love it. It fits just right, never had a failure with it, and it is very accurate. As for power, it's better than the 9mm. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that .40 cal is the best you can get. There's too many reasons why the .45 is still very much prominent.
  3. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I have the same problem, just between the compact series from both makers. The H&K USP Compact is $200 more than the Sig p239, but after shooting 50 rounds from both, the USP was much more accurate. Looks like I will have to step up with the extra $$$$.
    I wanted to add my vote for the the 9mm cartridge. I know I will get some complaints for saying that, but I don't reload, and 9mm is super cheap if you dont mind shooting military surplus FMJ's. Remember the old saying - practice,practice,practice?!? It is much easier on the pocketbook with the 9mm. Plus if you use the right ammo, they are almost as strong as the others. ( of course .40 - .45 and the 357sig do beat it out by a little )
    Take all the advice you recieve, listen and learn, Then buy the gun that FEELS best to you. If you cant hit the target with a .40, a .22lr would have been more effective.
    Let us know what decision you make
  4. boomstik44

boomstik44 New Member

sound advice reglbegl.
  5. JohnnyRobotic

JohnnyRobotic New Member

i carry dueling pistols for defense, we DO live in a civilized world, choose which pistol, 10 paces then shoot, only way to solve a dispute if i do say so myself;)
  6. Bulls I

Bulls I New Member

I have a HK USP .40 and love it. No complaints. Very accurate. Not cheap though. I found a used one for $500.00. It was the only used USP I've ever seen, so I bought it.
  7. boomstik44

boomstik44 New Member

Yeah, ok. Dueling pistols. Find me someone around here besides yourself who is going to be "honorable" enough to do that. And I'll tell him he's crazy too.:D
  8. Raven18940

Raven18940 New Member

They are both very nice guns. I prefer the 9mm, I find .40S&W a bit harsh to shoot repeatedly. But I'm a light weight. That hardly settles anything though cause both guns are made in both calibers I believe. I've fired sigs and h&ks, they are really nice guns. In the end get whatever gun feels nicer. I'm getting a Beretta 92 as soon as I'm 21 because I got to fire a 96. I didn't like the .40S&W, but the gun felt absolutely perfect in my hand and I shot it well too. It's just a personally preferance really.
  9. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

I own a USP40 and have shot the USP9. I've shot Sigs but not Sigpro models. Liked both but I went with the HK just because it fit me a bit better and I preferred the control of the HK over those of the Sig. Both are excellant brands. I hear very little about the SigPro line. Just memba, you get what you pay for.