Should I Keep as Collectable or Tune for Shooter?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by m1shooterva, Aug 24, 2003.

1. m1shooterva

m1shooterva New Member

I have a CMP Danish Springfield M1 Garand. Both the receiver and barrel have an August 1942 manufacture date. The furniture has no markings, metal has almost no park, and the trigger group appears to be post-WWII.

The rifling is very worn, using a bullet as a guide, it goes all the way in the muzzle; clear down to the brass. But the rifle shoots like a nail-driver! I consistently get 2" groups at 200yds.

My question is this: I love shooting this old rifle and have thought I might want to get it re-parked, new furniture, new barrel, and really try to tune it into a high-power competitor. But if the barrel is original (and the date leads me to believe it is) then would I be ruining it as a collectable?

Thanks for any help.
  2. warpig

warpig Guest

If it has all the correct time frame Springfield parts on it then it is indeed a collector.

If it is a mismatch of parts then it is 6 of one or a half dozen of the other if you restore it as a collector or as a competitive rifle.

You can always get a new barrel and keep your original to change it back.

My Garand is a 1942 Springfield and I get the same groups as you. Mine is pretty beat up and I am keeping it as it is just for the heck of it. They are fun shooters.

Welcome to TFF.
  3. m1shooterva

m1shooterva New Member

Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate the insight.. I still don't know what I'll do but I sure enjoy shooting this hunk of history. I'm always amazed (as are those around me at the range) that this 61 year old rifle shoots as well as it does. I've also got an M1903 made in 1918 with an August 42 barrel on it that shoots great but not as consistent as the M1. Or maybe its me!

Thanks again.
    Jim
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Welcome to TFF, M1shooter.

Your M1 is probably a "parts gun", rebuilt several times over it's lifetime.

Are you shooting it in any M1 matches or a shooting league of some sort? If you are, you'll undoubtedly run into some M1 experts who can examine it "hands on" and tell you what you've got....and give you some good advice as to what to do with it.

As for shooting it......by all means do. That's what they were made for.
  5. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welcome m1shooterva!!! Same as the rest have said...Shoot it as often as you can!...Your not going to demean it's value...;)